HF Wrestling Draft 2018 - Discussion Thread #2

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I mean I could put up a card for Emporeddy at this point but there might a conflict of interest here with some posters I've helped.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@CHGoalie27 I honestly don't know what you just did. It'd be nice if you actually put names down. EDIT: Does it matter? You get two picks and that's it.
I no longer have Ahmed Johnson, Butch Reed instead.

Ahmed Johnson is available

fixed it.. to have Axl Rotten and 1 of the 2 Public Enemy guys...keepin to the rules

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I had a couple of points:

• I just wish you'd put down a name as sometimes I see a photo of someone and I'm not sure who that is.
  • Your original post made it look like you had more than two picks. I see you changed it. I get what you're saying about nobody taking the teams other guy, but if you have three picks that gives you an advantage going into the next free agency round because you have one less guy to draft and thus can draft somebody else sooner. Mind you I think at this stage there will only be so much competition for guys, but you never know.
  • I think this is where @Chris Cutter needs to clarify regarding swapping guys out. I personally am not too bothered by it, but he did say we have to use who we pick and on top of that it definitely sets a precedent going forward (unless this has occurred in the past). Say someone has a particular match in mind and picks one guy for that match. Then say they miss out on every other target they had for an opponent, so they swap him out for someone else. That gives them a sort of "get out of jail free" card. I have a completed match where I wanted one or two specific opponents for the guy I'd already drafted, but when they were picked I had to find someone else.

Reactions: theedge9

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@CHGoalie27 Are you allowed to swap someone you already drafted in FA? @Chris Cutter Is this technically taking 3 picks at a time?

Yeah, I think that's also a fair point. I would assume that if swaps are allowed that it would count as a pick as again it technically puts everyone as at a disadvantage as a wrestler they were looking at could get taken.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

• I just wish you'd put down a name as sometimes I see a photo of someone and I'm not sure who that is.
  • Your original post made it look like you had more than two picks. I see you changed it. I get what you're saying about nobody taking the teams other guy, but if you have three picks that gives you an advantage going into the next free agency round because you have one less guy to draft and thus can draft somebody else sooner. Mind you I think at this stage there will only be so much competition for guys, but you never know.
  • I think this is where @Chris Cutter needs to clarify regarding swapping guys out. I personally am not too bothered by it, but he did say we have to use who we pick and on top of that it definitely sets a precedent going forward (unless this has occurred in the past). Say someone has a particular match in mind and picks one guy for that match. Then say they miss out on every other target they had for an opponent, so they swap him out for someone else. That gives them a sort of "get out of jail free" card. I have a completed match where I wanted one or two specific opponents for the guy I'd already drafted, but when they were picked I had to find someone else.
I know I probably fixed it while you were 1/3 thru writing the above lol

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

Yeah me and CHGoalie talked in PMs, it wasn't explicitly stated but you can't pick a team + someone else. It counts as your two picks. Concerning your last point, I mean, it's something that wasn't brought up pre-draft but given the unpredictable nature of the draft and how it's mostly match up based, I will allow wrestlers being dropped. The wrestlers dropped will only be eligible the next day of Free Agency though. See Ahmed Johnson. Concerning the switch, again Butch would count as one of your picks today here. So I guess you'll have to edit one out. @CHGoalie27

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Yeah, I think that's also a fair point. I would assume that if swaps are allowed that it would count as a pick as again it technically puts everyone as at a disadvantage as a wrestler they were looking at could get taken.
Hurts me more to waste such an early pick really....lucky the replacement was still around and not looking likely to be picked.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah me and CHGoalie talked in PMs, it wasn't explicitly stated but you can't pick a team + someone else. It counts as your two picks. Concerning your last point, I mean, it's something that wasn't brought up pre-draft but given the unpredictable nature of the draft and how it's mostly match up based, I will allow wrestlers being dropped. The wrestlers dropped will only be eligible the next day of Free Agency though. See Ahmed Johnson. Concerning the switch, again Butch would count as one of your picks today here. So I guess you'll have to edit one out. @CHGoalie27

So for future reference, because you know we'll be doing another draft next month, what about before free agency? Same thing? You can swap our a pick in around?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Hurts me more to waste such an early pick really....lucky the replacement was still around and not looking likely to be picked.

Well yeah, if you make a "bad pick" early on you hurt yourself more, but it does disadvantage the group in the way I said. Whether that actually happens at this stage or how significant it is who knows, but it still disadvantages everyone else. For the record Butch Reed had crossed my mind, but it was very unlikely that I was going to take him.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well yeah, if you make a "bad pick" early on you hurt yourself more, but it does disadvantage the group in the way I said. Whether that actually happens at this stage or how significant it is who knows, but it still disadvantages everyone else. For the record Butch Reed had crossed my mind, but it was very unlikely that I was going to take him.
...and if you did, I'd be outta luck. If anything it wouldn't disadvantage anyone more than stopping the circumvention by holding someone over and picking the 2nd still available tag team member...or even the initial circumvention itself...and it's 100% less petty too...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So for future reference, because you know we'll be doing another draft next month, what about before free agency? Same thing? You can swap our a pick in around?
Next month? Also, I'm kind of siding with CHGoalie27 here, I mean it's the first time I can recall someone having to resort to dropping someone because they literally have no plans for them but he ''wasted'' a pick on a guy. He's the one being affected more here. The people who missed out on Ahmed Johnson the first time around can still pick him if they have plans for him. I can understand that they might have gone in a different direction due to him being selected but this draft is all about adapting and going with Plan Y, Plan Z, etc. I don't see the harm here since he was not holding a tag team member in hostage or anything. The rule of using a wrestler on your card was more there as a result of the whole hostage situation and c-blocking others.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I personally have no problem with @Chris Cutter or anyone else taking up @Emperoreddy 's card, but I would just say this Eddy. If you're going to vote later on, can't you just stick it out at this stage? I mean at the end of the day all we need is a list of your matches. If it's on a piece of paper that's then photographed and posted that's great. I respect your decision if you can't continue, but I think it'd be best for your card if you did and if you can vote then I would think you can just post your card.

Next month? Also, I'm kind of siding with CHGoalie27 here, I mean it's the first time I can recall someone having to resort to dropping someone because they literally have no plans for them but he ''wasted'' a pick on a guy. He's the one being affected more here. The people who missed out on Ahmed Johnson the first time around can still pick him if they have plans for him. I can understand that they might have gone in a different direction due to him being selected but this draft is all about adapting and going with Plan Y, Plan Z, etc. I don't see the harm here since he was not holding a tag team member in hostage or anything. The rule of using a wrestler on your card was more there as a result of the whole hostage situation and c-blocking others.

I was joking about next month. In three months though... ;)

It's your call, but even if he were the guy affected here more (which I think is debatable and really of his own doing anyway), the rest of the group is still affected because he's taken three guys off the board in one round. Sure Johnson goes back into the pool, but it's been how many rounds since he's been picked and people who might have been interested in him before at this stage have probably made other plans. At the very least I would think that the swap either A) counts as a pick even though Ahmed Johnson goes back into the pool (the cost of being allowed to swap I would say) or B) you can't make such a swap until free agency is over.

Like I said, at this stage and with the guys involved I don't think it's that big a deal, but down the road it definitely sets a precedent with a lot to consider.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It was discussed that if you pick someone you have to use them. To me it clearly goes against the rules, but it isn't my draft. I thought that it was explicitly clear long ago. I don't think that it significantly impacts things though. Also, people should not make picks before the free agency time begins.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It was discussed that if you pick someone you have to use them. To me it clearly goes against the rules, but it isn't my draft. I thought that it was explicitly clear long ago. I don't think that it significantly impacts things though. Also, people should not make picks before the free agency time begins.

The clock on my PC changed to 11am (CST) when I picked. I actually took a picture on my phone yesterday in case that happened and it was questioned, but I was right on time yesterday. I agree with you though. My apologies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I personally have no problem with @Chris Cutter or anyone else taking up @Emperoreddy 's card, but I would just say this Eddy. If you're going to vote later on, can't you just stick it out at this stage? I mean at the end of the day all we need is a list of your matches. If it's on a piece of paper that's then photographed and posted that's great. I respect your decision if you can't continue, but I think it'd be best for your card if you did and if you can vote then I would think you can just post your card.

I was joking about next month. In three months though... ;)

It's your call, but even if he were the guy affected here more (which I think is debatable and really of his own doing anyway), the rest of the group is still affected because he's taken three guys off the board in one round. Sure Johnson goes back into the pool, but it's been how many rounds since he's been picked and people who might have been interested in him before at this stage have probably made other plans. At the very least I would think that the swap either A) counts as a pick even though Ahmed Johnson goes back into the pool (the cost of being allowed to swap I would say) or B) you can't make such a swap until free agency is over.

Like I said, at this stage and with the guys involved I don't think it's that big a deal, but down the road it definitely sets a precedent with a lot to consider.
@CHGoalie27 as I wrote in my last reply, Butch counts as one of today's pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad