Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And yet when we needed them they were nowhere to be found.
Which ones couldn't be found? We have Appleton on fire with the Moose, traded Lemieux and Petan away and tried to give away Dano, but he found his way home. Poolman can't get close to the NHL roster and our D depth has gotten to the point that Morrow may never see the ice for the Jets again.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can at least agree they will have to draft a C very soon! Gustafsson and Virtanen wont be top 2 C. Unfortunately you almost need a top 5 pick to get one.

That's a bit of an overstatement. You usually need a high 1st rd pick to get a 1C. 2C's quite often come a little later in the 1st round. Sometimes they even come in the 2nd rd, occasionally later.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which ones couldn't be found? We have Appleton on fire with the Moose, traded Lemieux and Petan away and tried to give away Dano, but he found his way home. Poolman can't get close to the NHL roster and our D depth has gotten to the point that Morrow may never see the ice for the Jets again.

Have you forgotten all those years we had Slater, Thorburn, Wright, Miettinen, etc in our bottom 6? That is when we needed them and that is when they could not be found. They may be plentiful now, when we don't need them, but that is another story.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The other thing to think about too is if Chevy kept trading our veterans every time their contract was up , Buff , Little , Wheeler for draft picks it looks like we aren't trying to win . These draft picks don't always pan out either so you could be left with nothing to show for your veteran that you traded away for picks . Like i said , not a easy job to be a successful GM .

No, that is not what it looks like. It is a choice to see it that way.

I agree, it is not an easy job to be a successful NHL GM. A lot of things to balance out - and then you need some luck too.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What I am saying...if Goaltending was perfectly 100% equal, dead wash... Winnipeg would have won

If goaltending was perfectly equal, Jets would still be the only team of those two having massive defensive breakdowns forced and exposed by the Knights.

If you score early on as Knights did, you can comfortably sit on that lead defending your goal like crown jewels, and that was exactly what they did. Obviously the team catching the lead will have gazillion more positive Corsi events, but that tells absolutely nothing and doesn't mean the Jets were dominating those games. They were not dominating. They were catching the lead against a team that defended very well (and MAF took the rest).

Also I think MAF was the only goalie in that series absolutely hoovering 1-2 pucks in. I guess Myers and maybe also Stastny scored goals that MAF just sucked in, and honestly he looked very shaky on the net for first two games, but then gained his confidence and was really really good for the rest of the games. (It's like an eternity since those games were played and I haven't rewatched them since so I am not sure about all the details.)

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg

I agree SaintB --Myers is a big game type of player, and he really comes alive in the playoffs. I see him already starting to rev it up, as we're approaching the playoffs. I still think Myer's a very underrated on these boards.
By pretty much every metric that exists to measure the quality of a player, Myers rates as a bottom pairing defenceman at BEST. Keeping him around hoping and praying he will “step it up” in a big game (something arguable at best) is a terrible reason to not trade him when his value as a trade chip is far greater than his on ice impact.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
By pretty much every metric that exists to measure the quality of a player, Myers rates as a bottom pairing defenceman at BEST. Keeping him around hoping and praying he will “step it up” in a big game (something arguable at best) is a terrible reason to not trade him when his value as a trade chip is far greater than his on ice impact.

I see your in the "don't like" Myers camp, and I'd say it's about 50-50 on here. I think he's a good defenseman, and will attract anywhere from $ 5.5 to 6 mil per year with some other team, should he not sign with the Jets.

He did have a great playoff run last year.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I'm really liking what I've seen from Hayes this far. He is just what our top 6 was missing, and he'll be worth every penny in the play offs.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I see your in the "don't like" Myers camp, and I'd say it's about 50-50 on here. I think he's a good defenseman, and will attract anywhere from $ 5.5 to 6 mil per year with some other tesm, should he not sign with the Jets.

He did have a great playoff run last year.

Agree. His transition game and defensive awareness aren't great. But the guy still has a better ability to create a goal out of nothing than any dman on the team outside Buff.

He scored a couple big goals for us last year and that's more than you can say for half our forwards.

Trouba, Buff and Myers are all good players for their slotted role here.

Reactions: GNP

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I might be a little ahead of the curve here, but i don't think so. It is time to forget about Rosie as a 2C. He hasn't shown that he can be an NHL C in the bottom 6. Apart from occasional flashes, he hasn't shown he can be an NHL bottom 6 RW yet. Right now he is on a bubble to be with the Jets at all. I think that it is only his speed that is keeping him around.

I've seen players turn it around on a dime when they suddenly seem to 'get it'. I hope Rosie can still do that but I don't think he will be a 2C when he does.

I’m not giving up on Rosie yet, but I agree with you that he hasn’t shown many signs of encouragement this year. His stint on that 2nd line in end-January & February was basically bad. And he’s not playing that great in the bottom 6 either. Maybe he should’ve stayed with the Moose for an extra year, I don’t know. But if Rosie in fact can’t become a true 2C by next year, then it makes re-signing Hayes all that much more important. Can’t be trading 1st round picks + prospect every year for a 2C at the deadline...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m not giving up on Rosie yet, but I agree with you that he hasn’t shown many signs of encouragement this year. His stint on that 2nd line in end-January & February was basically bad. And he’s not playing that great in the bottom 6 either. Maybe he should’ve stayed with the Moose for an extra year, I don’t know. But if Rosie in fact can’t become a true 2C by next year, then it makes re-signing Hayes all that much more important. Can’t be trading 1st round picks + prospect every year for a 2C at the deadline...

I'm not giving up on Rosie just yet either. I am giving up on him as the future 2C. I think his future is as a winger.

Also, I would have kept Archie and sent Rosie back to the Moose. He may have a lower ceiling but I think he is a more useful player in the bottom 6 right now.

Reactions: KB1971 and Keystone

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So far, this hasn't been worth the acquisition price. But it's a small sample. Still time for this trade to pay dividends and make sense.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Unless you want to win the cup.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
I might be a little ahead of the curve here, but i don't think so. It is time to forget about Rosie as a 2C. He hasn't shown that he can be an NHL C in the bottom 6. Apart from occasional flashes, he hasn't shown he can be an NHL bottom 6 RW yet. Right now he is on a bubble to be with the Jets at all. I think that it is only his speed that is keeping him around.

I've seen players turn it around on a dime when they suddenly seem to 'get it'. I hope Rosie can still do that but I don't think he will be a 2C when he does.
Scheifele?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Can anyone check on social media if Hayes got wasted last night.

He’s been completely awol in this shark game!

Lemieux (NYR) 2-3-5, -1 (7g)
Hayes (Wpg) 2-3-5, -2 (7g)

Hayes has been on the ice for the GWG against in the past 2 games to boot.

Edit: I saw the play wrong, it was Copp instead of Hayes, out with Connor and Ehlers. But his lustre is wearing off. I still think the Jets have lost something in breakouts, from Hayes replacing Little.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hayes-Little-Ehlers, Connor-Copp-Roslovic, and Lowry with two of Tanev, Perreault and Apples.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
That would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad