Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
this trade was probably a "fair market value" TDL trade but idk if it has been a great benefit of the Jets so far, atleast from a production standpoint

Little prior to the trade was playing at a 51 pt pace (39 pts in 62 gp)

Since the trade:
Hayes has 12 pts in 18 gp - 54 pt pace
Since the trade Little has put up 2 pts in 18 games at Wing.... Could we have kept Little at 2C and one of Lemmy/Appleton at Wing and gotten similar = or greater production? Probably... also keep the 1st rounder to boot. The trade hasn't "unlocked" Laine either.

Hayes has been better defensively but also hasn't spent an exorbitant amount of time carrying the defensive anchor that is Laine.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
this trade was probably a "fair market value" TDL trade but idk if it has been a great benefit of the Jets so far, atleast from a production standpoint

Since the trade:
Since the trade Little has put up 2 pts in 18 games at Wing.... Could we have kept Little at 2C and one of Lemmy/Appleton at Wing and gotten similar = or greater production? Probably... also keep the 1st rounder to boot. The trade hasn't "unlocked" Laine either.

Hayes has been better defensively but also hasn't spent an exorbitant amount of time carrying the defensive anchor that is Laine.
I think the solution to this would be put Little back at center with Perreault and anyone but Tanev and move Lowry to a fourth line role. It worked pretty well last year with Stasney not sure why the would get change. Lowry will never what they want him be or be what they think he is.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the solution to this would be put Little back at center with Perreault and anyone but Tanev and move Lowry to a fourth line role. It worked pretty well last year with Stasney not sure why the would get change. Lowry will never what they want him be or be what they think he is.
Agreed. so far Maurice has probably done his best to ruin this trade.

i've loved copps game this year, he's done a great job, but the ineffectiveness of Little at the wing should have TLC reunited and Little centering his own line.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I hate rentals and UFA signings too for that matter. But we would be in even worse shape right now without Hayes. I think he's been quite good. Unfortunately it looks like it may have been a bad year to "load up".

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Agreed. so far Maurice has probably done his best to ruin this trade.

i've loved copps game this year, he's done a great job, but the ineffectiveness of Little at the wing should have TLC reunited and Little centering his own line.
He's ruined a lot of things.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I hate rentals and UFA signings too for that matter. But we would be in even worse shape right now without Hayes. I think he's been quite good. Unfortunately it looks like it may have been a bad year to "load up".
They really need to re-sign him because Little isn't getting any younger, Lowry ins't getting better and there is nothing in the minors or pipeline that would indicate there is another center better than Lowry coming.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
They really need to re-sign him because Little isn't getting any younger, Lowry ins't getting better and there is nothing in the minors or pipeline that would indicate there is another center better than Lowry coming.
I don't think it'll be an option cap wise......but ya we are going to look weak down the middle next year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
no player is getting any younger :p

idk if Hayes is worth what the market is going to command. he probably signs for a minimum of 6m, probably more? Most years he's been a 40-45 pt player.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don't think it'll be an option cap wise......but ya we are going to look weak down the middle next year.
It might be tight but they can probably replace a few guys like UFAs like Chiarot, Tanev, Morrow, Beaulieu, Myers (maybe) with cheaper options. Kulikov could probably be bought out or dumped in a trade.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Nothing against Hayes, but this trade is a bust so far. We have more L than W with Hayes. You could say he has just taken over where Little left off. Interchangeable parts, but one was 'free' and the other cost us assets.

Reactions: Bigfish

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
Nothing against Hayes, but this trade is a bust so far. We have more L than W with Hayes. You could say he has just taken over where Little left off. Interchangeable parts, but one was 'free' and the other cost us assets.

Hayes has been much better in my opinion. The guy isn’t getting good minutes though because Maurice is over playing the top line and top PP line. Hayes won’t wanna resign here seeing this. I think Hayes has been good. Very strong on the puck, great vision and hand eye coordination.

How did he only get 12 minutes last night?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
no player is getting any younger :p

idk if Hayes is worth what the market is going to command. he probably signs for a minimum of 6m, probably more? Most years he's been a 40-45 pt player.

I don’t think the Jets can compete in terms of $$$, could offer term, like 6-7 years x 6 mil, but that contract has high bust potential IMO.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don’t think the Jets can compete in terms of $$$, could offer term, like 6-7 years x 6 mil, but that contract has high bust potential IMO.

I like Hayes -- but should the Jets sign a player that's just "solid" and pretty good , and for a long period of time ?? If Hayes was a Barzal type of guy, you would say yes, but just an above average center ?? and for so much term ?? -- I think we'd be better to look around, before committing to so much term.

Also as the poster says -- this contract could have a "high bust potential" - very risky IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Hayes has just mostly gotten the same points that Little would have had if he was getting Hayes' minutes. His scoring has been very close to the same pace Little had been on. Meanwhile, Little has done very little as a bottom 6 winger. I'm not sure he has been as effective as Lemieux would have been in the same role.

I'm disappointed in the results so far, quite apart from my dislike of the whole concept of rentals.

Edit: Nothing to make me want to sign him for big $$$ and long term.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It might be tight but they can probably replace a few guys like UFAs like Chiarot, Tanev, Morrow, Beaulieu, Myers (maybe) with cheaper options. Kulikov could probably be bought out or dumped in a trade.
LMFAO ... seriously you can get a Chiarot and a Tanev with cheaper options????

Let's see what Hayes brings to the playoffs first before passing judgement.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Hayes has just mostly gotten the same points that Little would have had if he was getting Hayes' minutes. His scoring has been very close to the same pace Little had been on. Meanwhile, Little has done very little as a bottom 6 winger. I'm not sure he has been as effective as Lemieux would have been in the same role.

I'm disappointed in the results so far, quite apart from my dislike of the whole concept of rentals.

Edit: Nothing to make me want to sign him for big $$$ and long term.

What happens if Hayes becomes one of those elite playoffs player that just rings up the goals, great plays and assists ?

Then what?

You never know Mort...

Time will tell...

Go :jets Go

Reactions: GNP

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona

Since the trade:

That's not a trade issue. That is a usage issue. Both would likely have more points if PoMo used them both properly.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad