Confirmed with Link: Hayes to Jets

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Need something from the Hayes line. Scheifele and Wheeler steppee up last game but they are going to be hard matched tonight. It's all about the depth in these two road games.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hayes has found a good spot on the fourth line. He looks like a solid 3rd / 4th line center.

What did we give up for him again, mid round draft pick?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Unfortunately, this ended up being an awful trade. Stastny was high price, but he was (arguably, and IMO) worth it. He performed in the playoffs and we got to the WCF. The Hayes trade was terrible. He was invisible, and now our 1st is gonna be around 18-21 I think. That’s around where we got Vesalainen.

Lemieux > Hayes

The 1st was gravy for NYR. To give up that much for a few weeks of Hayes (who ended up playing on the fourth line and doing nothing) is inexcusable.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Unfortunately, this ended up being an awful trade. Stastny was high price, but he was (arguably, and IMO) worth it. He performed in the playoffs and we got to the WCF. The Hayes trade was terrible. He was invisible, and now our 1st is gonna be around 18-21 I think. That’s around where we got Vesalainen.

Lemieux > Hayes

The 1st was gravy for NYR. To give up that much for a few weeks of Hayes (who ended up playing on the fourth line and doing nothing) is inexcusable.

Hm. I'm surprised that you thought Hayes did nothing. That's a comment that doesn't add up, with respect. Personally I liked Hayes, and felt that his ice time wasn't good, and that is the more the result of a coaching problem. He was a consistent scorer for us down the line, despite playing in a chucked-together line. Hayes, in my opinion is a good 2C, not his fault that Mo demoted him. If the Jets don't find a way to keep him then yes, the trade deffo hurts the team. If he walks, mind you.

If we find a way to afford Hayes, I'm down with the whole trade enchilada. I recognize that's not a hugely feasible option.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hm. I'm surprised that you thought Hayes did nothing. That's a comment that doesn't add up, with respect. Personally I liked Hayes, and felt that his ice time wasn't good, and that is the more the result of a coaching problem. He was a consistent scorer for us down the line, despite playing in a chucked-together line. Hayes, in my opinion is a good 2C, not his fault that Mo demoted him. If the Jets don't find a way to keep him then yes, the trade deffo hurts the team. If he walks, mind you.

If we find a way to afford Hayes, I'm down with the whole trade enchilada. I recognize that's not a hugely feasible option.

Objectively, Hayes picked up the same points that Little was already getting as our 'free' number 2 C.

Thats why he did the equivalent of nothing for this team.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Objectively, Hayes picked up the same points that Little was already getting as our 'free' number 2 C.

Thats why he did the equivalent of nothing for this team.

In hindsight that trade was a sidegrade and not an upgrade, but a lot has to do with Maurice’s deployment of course. Still, waste of a Lemieux who I really liked and constantly talked up. I think he’ll be an impact player for sure.

Reactions: irunthepeg

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Hayes unfortunately did not work out for us. Now the search for a 2C continues.... unless Roslovic miraculously steps up (no signs pointing to that, though) or Little somehow reverts to how he was 2+ years ago (again, no signs pointing to that).

Bold suggestion: Maybe Wheeler could play centre (and I’m actually just half-kidding.... he was quite good when he played centre last year with Scheifele injured and he’s a premier playmaker). It would balance the lines too.

Reactions: GNP and irunthepeg

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Hayes unfortunately did not work out for us. Now the search for a 2C continues.... unless Roslovic miraculously steps up (no signs pointing to that, though) or Little somehow reverts to how he was 2+ years ago (again, no signs pointing to that).

Bold suggestion: Maybe Wheeler could play centre (and I’m actually just half-kidding.... he was quite good when he played centre last year with Scheifele injured and he’s a premier playmaker). It would balance the lines too.
Wheeler is not a centre and his underlying metrics while playing there were straight up horrible. They’d be even worse now. He didn’t look horrible largely because the team was winning and there were minimal expectations for him being forced into a role that he didn’t belong. It’s not a long term, or even a short term answer.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
My question is where would Hayes even end up? I think New Jersey is the team that goes crazy this off-season, but it'd make sense if he returns to the Rangers or signs with the Bruins. I think the Jets offer a cheap deal or he just walks.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
My question is where would Hayes even end up? I think New Jersey is the team that goes crazy this off-season, but it'd make sense if he returns to the Rangers or signs with the Bruins. I think the Jets offer a cheap deal or he just walks.

Me too. Jets can't/won't offer top dollar and he'll go get it elsewhere.

I don't expect to see Hayes, Trouba, Myers or Tanev back next year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hayes most years is as productive as Little. Hayes as a Jet 13 pts in 20 games and 3 pts in 6 PO games.
He's probably going to net 6M+?

i think Little is a fine 2C.

39 pts in 62 games at the TDL, that's a 51-52 point pace which is fine 2C production and put him roughly in the top 50 of C's scoring at the time. Who are you going to bring and how? How much are they cost? Are you going to find a great 2C for 5.29M or under?

don't forget Little's production is a victim of the abhorrent Laine-Little combo as well.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Me too. Jets can't/won't offer top dollar and he'll go get it elsewhere.

I don't expect to see Hayes, Trouba, Myers or Tanev back next year.

Of these, the real hurt will Tanev. Trouba, of course as well, if he returns to last year's form (although he put up 50pts this year, kind of quietly). It sucks because Tanev seems like one of those guys you win with, as long as you can get him on your team before his value shoots up too high. He seems like he will fall into the realm of an overpaid depth guy.

On the topic of Hayes... I agree with @Deedog99 I hope we are done trading the 1st for a couple years UNLESS next year at the deadline we are already firmly at the top of the conference. Not just the division, the conference. Otherwise, save the pick. I'm sure Rangers fans are laughing at the fact they got Lemieux + a 1st and then watched us proceed to shit the bed and make it a better pick. What a waste.

Reactions: mazmin

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Wheeler is not a centre and his underlying metrics while playing there were straight up horrible. They’d be even worse now. He didn’t look horrible largely because the team was winning and there were minimal expectations for him being forced into a role that he didn’t belong. It’s not a long term, or even a short term answer.

The real issue of Wheeler playing centre is Scheifele having to convert to wing.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Lemieux > Hayes

You’re comparing a winger with 18 career NHL points to a centre that had a career year? WHAT?!

It’s pretty obvious who would be more impactful this year.

As for next year, which player gets bumped off the roster in favour of Lemieux?

Copp?
Vesalainen?
Roslovic?
Appleton?
Tanev?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad