Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

Feb 24, 2017
I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned Jim Benning in this thread. He must be slowly improving his stature among NHL fans.

Feb 24, 2017
Honestly, what makes him worse than Chiarelli? Chiarelli traded Tyler Seguin Mathew Barzal and Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson Loui Eriksson and some junk.
Oh, I didn’t mean to say I think Benning is worse. It just seems like he has been the most popular punching bag around here and would have had at least one mention in +/- 100 posts.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Oh, I didn’t mean to say I think Benning is worse. It just seems like he has been the most popular punching bag around here and would have had at least one mention in +/- 100 posts.

Benning can make some dumb moves but he didn't trade Taylor Hall Mathew Barzal and Tyler Seguin for Adam Larsson Loui Eriksson and a bunch of crap. What moves has Benning made that were nearly as bad? He picked Juolevi over Tkachuk...Chiarelli picked Puljujarvi over Tkachuk. Benning comes off absolutely clueless at times and shows his lack of professionalism a lot more than anybody with his job should, but he doesn't have anywhere near the poor track record of Chiarelli.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Ohh so it's only allowed to be current GM's. Lets limit the ammo and pretend the past never happened, gotcha.
If it meant anything to this thread you might have something but Burke isn't the GM in Calgary (thankfully) so why bring up his boneheaded past moves to somehow make that nitwit you have now on par or something? why not bring up the kings of brutal like Milbury, Stellick or Houle?

I think you're just obsessed with the Flames and will reach at anything to feel better, god help you if Gaudreau beats McDavid in scoring this year!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He traded Eberle for nothing. Yakupov for nothing. Hall who was almost PPG for a top 4D. Signed Lucic to 6M a year. Barzal for Reinhart.

The only moves that he made that look were ‘solid’ would be picking up waiver players and putting them with McDavid to make them appear to have more value. The Talbot trade is the one good move I remember in his tenure as GM.

I can’t remember the last time a GM arguably lost every move he’s made as GM. I can’t see him getting another NHL job for a while if he’s fired. He lucked into McDavid, and is surrounding him with borderline NHLers and signing them to retirement contracts.
He does not get his facts straight how can we take this topic seriously. Created to annoy oilers fans. Sad statement this thread is still open. But it looks like bashing oilers threads is allowed regardless off They are accurate

Reactions: Coffey

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the worst thing that ever happenee to chia was the kessel trade.

he lucked out something fierce that tim thomas won a cup for him AND 2 random mid 1st round picks turned out better than anyone could have expected.

but he thought it meant he was a genius. so he's been repeating the same mistake over and over again ever since.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The oilers never had barzal and were not going to take him. Oilers had three natural centres under the age of 22. If the oilers kept that pick.. they would have taken a D!..

And where are All The bashing of the pens for trading that pick first? Barzal was taken with the pens pick. But that would hurt the argument of some.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
If it meant anything to this thread you might have something but Burke isn't the GM in Calgary (thankfully) so why bring up his boneheaded past moves to somehow make that nitwit you have now on par or something? why not bring up the kings of brutal like Milbury, Stellick or Houle?

I think you're just obsessed with the Flames and will reach at anything to feel better, god help you if Gaudreau beats McDavid in scoring this year!

Wow looks like I hit a nerve or something talking bad about your hero and mentor Burke. Obsessed with the Flames? I rarely post regarding them so I'm not sure where you get that, although it does seem you have a fairly active imagination.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Kind of like how everyone likes to say the Leafs gave up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel?

Well, yes, it's true. They did give up a chance at Seguin and Hamilton. If fact you could say they gave up a chance at Hall, Couturier, Schiefele etc too. And it's true. They messed up big time and it's taken then 5+ years to recover from that mess. Same with the Oilers.

Reactions: Auston Marlander

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
the worst thing that ever happenee to chia was the kessel trade.

he lucked out something fierce that tim thomas won a cup for him AND 2 random mid 1st round picks turned out better than anyone could have expected.

but he thought it meant he was a genius. so he's been repeating the same mistake over and over again ever since.

Why. The Leafs roster was horrid and everyone knew it except Burke. They were lucky both picks weren't #1.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Kind of like how everyone likes to say the Leafs gave up Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel?

BARZAL was taken with the PENS pick--where is the trashing of them for that--the got Perron for it

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
The oilers never had barzal and were not going to take him. Oilers had three natural centres under the age of 22. If the oilers kept that pick.. they would have taken a D!..

And where are All The bashing of the pens for trading that pick first? Barzal was taken with the pens pick. But that would hurt the argument of some.
Let's not forget that Perron was traded for Hagelin who was a beast for them in their playoff run. The Bruins traded a 1st and Colborne for a washed up Tomas Kaberle. The Hawks traded two 2nds for Kimmo Timonen to play on their 3rd pairing (who was coming off a major injury was a shell of his former self). The Hawks essentially ran two pairings the entire playoffs. No one criticizes a move when a Cup is won even if the trade contributed little to nothing towards the run. That's just how it goes and always has.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In my opinion, you should never judge a trade that involved picks based on what the pick became. The Barzal shot isn't fair, but it is fair to say that he never should have dealt the pick it self.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
While I am skeptical of his moves as Edmonton's GM, I think his worst moves were made near the end of his tenure in Boston. He never should have let Seguin and Hamiton go.

not sure why everyone puts Dougie Hamilton on Chiarelli.
Hamilton was traded from Boston when Chia was the GM with the Oilers.
Yes, he's made some horrific trades, but Hamilton is not one of them

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I love the preemptive dismissal of the Maroon trade haha.
and do not ignjore the fact everyone and their dead granny knew the oilers were desperate for RHD and we have long history of proof that the Bruins wanted more from the Oiles then they got from the flames and we have proof that the oilers offer was more then then Flames for Hamilton--but the Bruins took less from the Flames

Then we have the corey schneider trade--Oilers offered more then the Devils--but the Nucks took the Devils deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad