Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel

Sure if you want to derail a thread for no reason. OP isn't even controversial. Leaf fans bringing up the Leafs in every thread amiright?

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
The Seguin trade, and the behind-the-scenes evidence of it, should've been enough to keep any GM from getting hired again.

Surrounding one of the greatest skaters in NHL history with a bunch of slugs that, it should've been obvious, could never keep up with him is just icing on the cake. Chiarelli's stuck in a bygone era.

I saw that video.. baffling how the seguin trade went down like that. chia is mike milbury bad

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sure if you want to derail a thread for no reason. OP isn't even controversial. Leaf fans bringing up the Leafs in every thread amiright?

True. It isn't controversial.

There really should be no discourse when the question is "If we ignore the good trades, were all of Chia's trades bad?".

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
True. It isn't controversial.

There really should no discourse when the question is "If we ignore the good trades, were all of Chia's trades bad?".

Yeah I don't agree with the OP but Chia has been bad I cannot fathom why certain posters think a valid response is to point out mistakes made by prior Leafs management(Which any Leaf fan will tell you were bad moves).

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Sure, I'm just pointing out how silly the what-ifs are with traded draft picks.

They are to a degree but its still an awful trade to throw away a mid first in a deep draft for nothing, I don't see how it hurts to point out who was available at that spot for context.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
The same comments get made every day or two in oilers threads, theres nothing new to bring to this beaten to death conversation and you could've just looked up Chia trades instead of trying to have your moment is the spot light

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While I am skeptical of his moves as Edmonton's GM, I think his worst moves were made near the end of his tenure in Boston. He never should have let Seguin and Hamiton go.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel

You what the difference is? That GM isn't our current one.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Love how you complain about Barzal never being Oilers property so it shouldn't count yet none of those players were ever Leafs property. That's pretty hypocritical no?

LOL I think that was the whole point.

Leaf fan here, Oilers suck, Chia is one of the worst GMs there is.

However, he DID NOT trade Barzal. Almost everything else he did was crap, but you can't say he traded Barzal. He traded the pick, which was still a bad trade, but what the other team does with the pick is their business. Or else the Leafs traded Rackell (you can't really say Seguin because no one knew it would be a lottery pick at the time of the trade), Tampa traded Rhinne, etc

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He also set back Boston many years as well. Having Seguin instead of Krejci, Boychuck instead of Seidenberg could have extended their cup window. Having nothing left to show for Seguin, giving Chris Kelly a NTC, Wheeler for Peverly (although this gets justified because Pevs was great in the SCF run). Lots of questionable choices.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He didn't trade Hamilton, he tried to trade for him though
He didn't directly lose Hamilton but he should have been extended before Chia left to be honest. Maybe Hamilton doesn't go for that, but I feel like Chia directly and indirectly caused a lot of talent to leave the Bruins.

Plus, what is with Chiarelli and trading players drafted 1st and 2nd overall?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He has made a few good moves, but he has made more bad ones and the bad ones have been more significant with higher stakes. As a whole, he is one of the worst GMs in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad