Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Getting gassed ( huge hypothetical) by two teams in three years is a big black mark. He may have to work his way back up the food chain.

John Tortorella got canned two times in two years and had one of the most embarrassing seasons for any coach ever. Still managed to find work somewhat easily.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know if he's lost every trade, but they've landed a generational talent and are looking like a lottery team. Pretty embarrassing. Chia shouldn't feel very comfortable.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel

I really think you need to stop obsessing over the Leafs all the time. It's not good for your health.

Those trades were so long ago and werent even with current management. If we hadn't made those trades we would never had gotten Matthews. Edmonton already had McDavid when Chia got absolutely fleeced to the moon.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Not really the same bc the oilers were literally on the draft board when they traded for stud reinhart

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not saying I agree with the trade but if we are looking at draft hindsight I’m pretty sure a case can be made for every GM in the league blowing it at some point.

Yeah, but it’s pretty common for the hockey community to use the player selected with the draft pick as part of the trade.

“Leafs traded Seguin for Kessel”

That didn’t actually happened, but it was the draft pick they traded that ended up being that player.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Yeah, but it’s pretty common for the hockey community to use the player selected with the draft pick as part of the trade.

“Leafs traded Rask for Raycroft”
“Leafs traded Seguin for Kessel”

Neither of those actually happened, but it was the draft pick they traded that ended up being that player.
Rask was drafted by the Leafs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
right now Chia will be viewed badly because the team is bad. That is rightfully so, but c'mon. He's made a lot of good trades and signings.

Hall for Larsson looked great last season, and now it feels flipped because the spots in the standings have been flipped. Either way, they needed a top line forward and we needed a D like Larsson. Chia inherited a bad trading position and a team that needed that type of player, the type of player that is rarely available. Even last year I said the trade was fair even as people were saying the Oilers won it. We would not be able to afford a re-signed Hall anyway.

Chia's great moves include the Maroon trade, Sekera signing, the first Russell signing, and the Talbot trade. Despite criticism over the moves now, the Klefbom signing, Lucic signing, and 2nd Russell signing have been decent, although mixed (I'm leaning against the 2nd Russell signing but I like the player). Losing Yak and Schultz was not bad either considering Chia inherited baggage there, created by the GMs before, and they were distractions who were not going to be successful here and needed fresh starts.

He's had some bad moves too, but considering we were successful last season even with them shows that they weren't ruining the team. The Barzal thing is classic hindsight, and even though a lot of fans called that one at the time that is dubious considering that we never remember the times the fans get it wrong. Quite a few teams with a lot more research than fans have passed on Barzal. But for sure, losing those picks for what ended up being Vegas' expansion pick for the Oilers is definitely in the loss column, although many teams lost that kind of value on expansion day.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada

What do Burke's horrendous deals have to do with the current management? Burke is long gone but the Oilers are currently being led by a moron.

Reactions: RayB and Menzinger

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
The Bruins' BTS videos always made me cringe. I have never really liked anything he has done as a GM for any team. It is also a shame that he was the mentor of the GM of the team I support.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

HF doesn't have any more energy to rack the Leafs over those trades. Whatever could be said has been said 100 times over.

Reactions: Ib4n3z and RayB

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I really think you need to stop obsessing over the Leafs all the time. It's not good for your health.

Those trades were so long ago and werent even with current management. If we hadn't made those trades we would never had gotten Matthews. Edmonton already had McDavid when Chia got absolutely fleeced to the moon.

Oh look Pinkfly putting his line in the water in an Oilers related thread. Never seen that one before. :laugh:

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Yes but yakupov was nothing already
10 points in 22 games so far... Not 1OA point status, but guy should be a career 2nd-3rd liner and the Oilers butchered him.

Chiarelli's awfulness needs to go back to the Bruins. Guy is fine at assembling talent that is homegrown aka his scouts, but anything else he is by far the worst gm we've seen in a while.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
John Tortorella got canned two times in two years and had one of the most embarrassing seasons for any coach ever. Still managed to find work somewhat easily.

John tortorella almost won the cup twice as rangers head coach, won it once as tampa coach.

There is no parallel to a man who drafted the best player in the league and surrounded him with the worst roster in the NHL- And in the process gutting the depth of his team.

Chiarelli will never be a GM in this league again, unless he wants to come work for the Isles- a team he built into a cup contender.

Reactions: Menzinger

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
10 points in 22 games so far... Not 1OA point status, but guy should be a career 2nd-3rd liner and the Oilers butchered him.

Chiarelli's awfulness needs to go back to the Bruins. Guy is fine at assembling talent that is homegrown aka his scouts, but anything else he is by far the worst gm we've seen in a while.

Not defending chia
Just saying they have already messed up yakupov
Nobody wanted him
You can't make deals out of nothing

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
John tortorella almost won the cup twice as rangers head coach, won it once as tampa coach.

There is no parallel to a man who drafted the best player in the league and surrounded him with the worst roster in the NHL- And in the process gutting the depth of his team.

Chiarelli will never be a GM in this league again, unless he wants to come work for the Isles- a team he built into a cup contender.

Chiarelli was damn close to winning the cup again in 2013 and that 2014 President's Trophy Team was probably better than their team that actually won the cup.

I don't think he should get another job after this, but I bet he will (even if he gets fired). Stay away, Aquilini.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Burke was a bad GM, that doesn't change how bad your GM is.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Seguin trade, and the behind-the-scenes evidence of it, should've been enough to keep any GM from getting hired again.

Surrounding one of the greatest skaters in NHL history with a bunch of slugs that, it should've been obvious, could never keep up with him is just icing on the cake. Chiarelli's stuck in a bygone era.

Tavares91Stamkos91

Oct 2, 2013
Vancouver
Sekera's signing was good, Maroon and Talbot's trade were good, Letestu was good, (very cheap deal).
Should have gotten more for Hall, (meh, not the best, but okay)
Mcdavid's contract --> (it's Mcdavid so no criticism)
Draisaitl...way too much.
Everything else was awful.

We have seen good Chiarelli and awful Chiarelli, mainly awful Chiarelli.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
chia's great moves include the Maroon trade, Sekera signing, the first Russell signing.

i'm sorry but any fan thinking the russell signing was good is out to lunch.. guy is awful

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Love how you complain about Barzal never being Oilers property so it shouldn't count yet none of those players were ever Leafs property. That's pretty hypocritical no? The funny thing is Chia may have owned Toronto in that trade but all those main parts he got were than traded away by him for guys no where near Kessel lol.

Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad