Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The only trade I can't judge him for was the Yakupov trade.

But the Hall trade should've gotten Edmonton: NJ 1st 2017, Zacha and Larsson. But that trade wouldn't of happened otherwise. (funny to think about since Edmonton had the 1st overall pick)

member 105785

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned Jim Benning in this thread. He must be slowly improving his stature among NHL fans.

The last year, Benning has been a downright acceptable GM. Del Zotto, Vanek, Nilsson and Gagner have all been good signings, Burrows for Dahlin and Hansen for Goldobin were great trades and his draft was very good. Pettersson is setting records in SHL and Lind looking like a steal in the 2nd round.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The only trade I can't judge him for was the Yakupov trade.

But the Hall trade should've gotten Edmonton: NJ 1st 2017, Zacha and Larsson. But that trade wouldn't of happened otherwise. (funny to think about since Edmonton had the 1st overall pick)

Rewriting history. Devil's made it clear what they were willing to offer. Oilers were behind the 8 ball

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel
Wow. What a brave man. Bringing up trades made by previous management regimes.

Wayne Gretzky + McSorely + Krushelnyski for Carson + Gelinas + 3 1sts

16th + 33rd overall picks for Griffin Reinhart

Paul Coffey + Hunter + Van Dorp for Simpson + Hannan + Joseph + Mantha

Kurri + Brown + Foster for Fishter + Melanby + Berube

Chris Pronger for Lupul + Smid + 1st ----> used to pick Eberle, traded for Ryan Strome

Trading down from 17 to 22, drafting Marc Andre Pouliot instead of Zach Parise

Geoff Courtnall for Greg Adams

Milan Lucic 7 years 7 M

I guess I can stop now.

Faryn

Dec 11, 2009
Calgary AB
Based off of the below analysis I would say his W/L/T record in 4/4/10 but I still do believe that lots of those lost trades need to be done to create a more complete team. There were to many deficiencies with the old Oilers.

New York Islanders acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
New_York_Islanders.gif
Jordan Eberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2017
Ryan Strome
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Salary Cap transaction (6 MM to 2.5 MM)- this was downgrade offensively but the salary savings offset the offensive decrease
* Slight win for NY
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateNew York Rangers acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Justin Fontaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 1, 2017
Taylor Beck
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateMontreal Canadiens acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
David Desharnais
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2017
Brandon Davidson
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Positional trade - Edmonton had a plethora of LD and needed a depth scorer. Desharnais had a decent run for Edmonton but walked in the off-season Davidson has not looked good in Montreal.
* Wash
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateArizona Coyotes acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Henrik Samuelsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 1, 2017
Mitchell Moroz
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
St. Louis Blues acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Nail Yakupov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 7, 2016
Zach Pochiro
2017 conditional 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* This was a change of scenery trade if anything else. Yakupov did nothing is St Louis and was a healthy scratch for most of the year. St Louis decided not to qualify him and he signed with Colorado, has had a decent year so far but Yakupov has been streaky in the past so this could change.
* Wash
New Jersey Devils acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Taylor Hall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Positional trade - we needed to trade for a defenseman and everyone in the league new we were in dire need of one. No matter what we were going to loss the trade. I loved Hall as an Oiler but this is a trade I probably would do again because of need.... we were not going to get a young top 4 defenseman at the cap hit Larsson has without giving up what we did... I think Eberle for Larsson would have been better but I dont think the Devils bite on that.
* Win NJ
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateAnaheim Ducks acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Patrick Maroon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 29, 2016
Martin Gernat
2016 4th round pick
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Depth deal that turned out great for Edmonton especially when you realize Anaheim also has to pay half the salary for him.
* Win EDM
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
Niklas Lundstrom
2016 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Asset deal - wash, Edmonton was not going to keep Nilsson and really the trade was for the 5th round pick.
* Wash
Florida Panthers acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Florida_Panthers.gif
Teddy Purcell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Asset deal - Thought this was a solid trade by Chia, Purcell is out of the league now and we were able to steal a 3rd from Florida.
* Win EDM
Pittsburgh Penguins acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Justin Schultz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* This was a change of scenery trade if anything else. Pittsburgh decided not to qualify him and then signed him well below his previous salary, he has really turned his career around since. I would put this is as similar to the Maroon/Talbot trade.
* Win PIT
Vancouver Canucks acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Philip Larsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 24, 2016
2017 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Nothing trade, Larsen is currently playing in the KHL and hasn't shown anything in the NHL.
* Wash - I would actually call this a slight win for EDM as they got an asset from nothing but will track it as a wash.
Montreal Canadiens acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
Ben Scrivens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 28, 2015
Zack Kassian
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Depth over paid goalie for a project with substance abuse problems. Kassian has turned his carer around and is a solid depth forward with a edge (definitely goes over it sometimes). I like what he brings to the team but really dislike his antics at times. hated him prior to joining Edmonton and he still hasn't fully won me over.
* Win EDM
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateChicago Blackhawks acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 6, 2015
Liam Coughlin
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Backup goalie with potential for a nothing prospect. No one really worked out for either team Liam has put up 1 point this year and will probably go unqualified by Chicago nilsson has been bumping from team to team for the last few years. Win EDM to start but really just turned into a flip of prospect for 5th round pick (see above) which Liam Coughlin was originally.* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Lauri Korpikoski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 30, 2015
Boyd Gordon
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Past prime player for past prime player. Rumour was they flipped Boyd to Phoenix to sign Letestu, minimal trade but if the previous stated rumour is true then it would be an indirect win for Chia.
* Wash
Ottawa Senators acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Travis Ewanyk
2015 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
Eric Gryba
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* prospects for depth - Gryba is still with Edmonton (like it or not), Ewanyk is playing the ECHL and the 4th is in the NCAA still. Slight win for EDM but not enough to really swing either way.
* Wash
Toronto Maple Leafs acquireDateEdmonton Oilers acquire
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Martin Marincin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 4th round pick
Brad Ross
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Unhappy prospect for assets, Martin had a decent couple years in Toronto but has been recently waived. Originally probably would have said win Toronto but now I am not sure. The 4th was then flipped to Ottawa so it comes down to a Marincin for Gryba swap.
*Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Cam Talbot
2015 7th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick
2015 7th round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Potential #1 Goalie for assets - similar to below; Chia had just been brought in and hadnt put his stamp on the scouting staff etc. Rumour on draft day was he didnt trust the reports he was getting from the scouts and wanted to flip those 'lotto tickets' for a more known commodity. Could have gone either way but given Talbots play last year...
* Win EDM
Edmonton Oilers acquireDateNew York Islanders acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Griffin Reinhart
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* high ranked prospect for picks - Chia had just been brought in and hadnt put his stamp on the scouting staff etc. Rumour on draft day was he didnt trust the reports he was getting from the scouts and wanted to flip those 'lotto tickets' for a more known commodity. Could have gone either way but Reinhart has done nothing in the AHL and shown very little in the AHL where as Barzal by himslef makes this a win for NY.
* Win NY

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
they had the pick with which barzal was selected, chances are they would've taken barzal if the trade never went through.
I highly doubt this they already had taken McDavid moved that pick for a dman which Oilers were desperate for . They would of picked a dman in that spot Chabot

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Based off of the below analysis I would say his W/L/T record in 4/4/10 but I still do believe that lots of those lost trades need to be done to create a more complete team. There were to many deficiencies with the old Oilers.

New_York_Islanders.gif
Jordan Eberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2017
Ryan Strome
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Salary Cap transaction (6 MM to 2.5 MM)- this was downgrade offensively but the salary savings offset the offensive decrease
* Slight win for NY
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Justin Fontaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 1, 2017
Taylor Beck
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
David Desharnais
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2017
Brandon Davidson
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Positional trade - Edmonton had a plethora of LD and needed a depth scorer. Desharnais had a decent run for Edmonton but walked in the off-season Davidson has not looked good in Montreal.
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Henrik Samuelsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 1, 2017
Mitchell Moroz
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Nail Yakupov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 7, 2016
Zach Pochiro
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* This was a change of scenery trade if anything else. Yakupov did nothing is St Louis and was a healthy scratch for most of the year. St Louis decided not to qualify him and he signed with Colorado, has had a decent year so far but Yakupov has been streaky in the past so this could change.
* Wash
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Taylor Hall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Positional trade - we needed to trade for a defenseman and everyone in the league new we were in dire need of one. No matter what we were going to loss the trade. I loved Hall as an Oiler but this is a trade I probably would do again because of need.... we were not going to get a young top 4 defenseman at the cap hit Larsson has without giving up what we did... I think Eberle for Larsson would have been better but I dont think the Devils bite on that.
* Win NJ
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Patrick Maroon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 29, 2016
Martin Gernat
2016 4th round pick
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Depth deal that turned out great for Edmonton especially when you realize Anaheim also has to pay half the salary for him.
* Win EDM
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
Niklas Lundstrom
2016 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Asset deal - wash, Edmonton was not going to keep Nilsson and really the trade was for the 5th round pick.
* Wash
Florida_Panthers.gif
Teddy Purcell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Asset deal - Thought this was a solid trade by Chia, Purcell is out of the league now and we were able to steal a 3rd from Florida.
* Win EDM
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Justin Schultz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* This was a change of scenery trade if anything else. Pittsburgh decided not to qualify him and then signed him well below his previous salary, he has really turned his career around since. I would put this is as similar to the Maroon/Talbot trade.
* Win PIT
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Philip Larsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 24, 2016
2017 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Nothing trade, Larsen is currently playing in the KHL and hasn't shown anything in the NHL.
* Wash - I would actually call this a slight win for EDM as they got an asset from nothing but will track it as a wash.
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
Ben Scrivens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 28, 2015
Zack Kassian
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Depth over paid goalie for a project with substance abuse problems. Kassian has turned his carer around and is a solid depth forward with a edge (definitely goes over it sometimes). I like what he brings to the team but really dislike his antics at times. hated him prior to joining Edmonton and he still hasn't fully won me over.
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 6, 2015
Liam Coughlin
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Backup goalie with potential for a nothing prospect. No one really worked out for either team Liam has put up 1 point this year and will probably go unqualified by Chicago nilsson has been bumping from team to team for the last few years. Win EDM to start but really just turned into a flip of prospect for 5th round pick (see above) which Liam Coughlin was originally.* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Lauri Korpikoski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 30, 2015
Boyd Gordon
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Past prime player for past prime player. Rumour was they flipped Boyd to Phoenix to sign Letestu, minimal trade but if the previous stated rumour is true then it would be an indirect win for Chia.
* Wash
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Travis Ewanyk
2015 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
Eric Gryba
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* prospects for depth - Gryba is still with Edmonton (like it or not), Ewanyk is playing the ECHL and the 4th is in the NCAA still. Slight win for EDM but not enough to really swing either way.
* Wash
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Martin Marincin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 4th round pick
Brad Ross
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Unhappy prospect for assets, Martin had a decent couple years in Toronto but has been recently waived. Originally probably would have said win Toronto but now I am not sure. The 4th was then flipped to Ottawa so it comes down to a Marincin for Gryba swap.
*Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Cam Talbot
2015 7th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick
2015 7th round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Potential #1 Goalie for assets - similar to below; Chia had just been brought in and hadnt put his stamp on the scouting staff etc. Rumour on draft day was he didnt trust the reports he was getting from the scouts and wanted to flip those 'lotto tickets' for a more known commodity. Could have gone either way but given Talbots play last year...
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Griffin Reinhart
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* high ranked prospect for picks - Chia had just been brought in and hadnt put his stamp on the scouting staff etc. Rumour on draft day was he didnt trust the reports he was getting from the scouts and wanted to flip those 'lotto tickets' for a more known commodity. Could have gone either way but Reinhart has done nothing in the AHL and shown very little in the AHL where as Barzal by himslef makes this a win for NY.
* Win NY
Good post. Definitely agree with most of it.
I still think we wouldn't have made it as far as we did without Larsson though. That's just a result of previous regimes, not Chia's fault.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

New_York_Islanders.gif
Jordan Eberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2017
Ryan Strome
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Slight win for NY
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Justin Fontaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 1, 2017
Taylor Beck
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
David Desharnais
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2017
Brandon Davidson
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Henrik Samuelsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 1, 2017
Mitchell Moroz
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Nail Yakupov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 7, 2016
Zach Pochiro
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Taylor Hall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win NJ
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Patrick Maroon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 29, 2016
Martin Gernat
2016 4th round pick
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
Niklas Lundstrom
2016 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Florida_Panthers.gif
Teddy Purcell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Justin Schultz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win PIT
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Philip Larsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 24, 2016
2017 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
Ben Scrivens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 28, 2015
Zack Kassian
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 6, 2015
Liam Coughlin
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Lauri Korpikoski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 30, 2015
Boyd Gordon
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Travis Ewanyk
2015 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
Eric Gryba
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Martin Marincin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 4th round pick
Brad Ross
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Cam Talbot
2015 7th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick
2015 7th round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Griffin Reinhart
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win NY

except those 4 trade losses you're talking about are the big ones
Hall, Eberle, Reinhart
Its not a simple tally when you consider the gravity of those losses

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
except those 4 trade losses you're talking about are the big ones
Hall, Eberle, Reinhart
Its not a simple tally when you consider the gravity of those losses
Perhaps not.
But it's a great rebuttal for
Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM?

Reactions: The Pale King

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The Hall-Larsson trade would be viewed as a better transaction if Larsson were to be given the powerplay time that his skillset deserves.

His offensive reads, pass selection, puck retention, and off-the-puck movement are very good. I am still dumbfounded that the Oilers persist in not giving him a proper chance to man a powerplay unit, but I guess they want to keep him fresh for even strength and penalty kill minutes.

With that said, Woodcroft runs a terrible powerplay.

Reactions: Coffey

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Are you behind the 8 ball if its an 8 ball of your creation? The oilers didn't need to trade Hall then and there for Larsson.
It was another attempt to strengthen our defense after the failed Reinhart trade.
Every crappy move Chia made for defense was out of urgency because McDavid was drafted and our defense was a tire fire thanks to the previous 10 years of incompetency.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
With that said, Hall is a fantastic player. I think his performances dropped for the Oilers because he was disenchanted with the performance of the franchise.

If the Oilers were to have traded Hall after his 85 point season or during this season, then the return would have been Larsson plus. The Devils benefited from the Oilers having the organizational need to trade Hall at a low as there is no way that a RHD of Larsson's calibre would have been available for Eberle or RNH at that point in time.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
It was another attempt to strengthen our defense after the failed Reinhart trade.
Every crappy move Chia made for defense was out of urgency because McDavid was drafted and our defense was a tire fire thanks to the previous 10 years of incompetency.

No but litterally I mean that day they didn't need to trade Hall that day nor did they need Larsson exactly

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Chiarelli's biggest strength lies in how he builds an organization's professional and amateur scouting. Our prospect and organizational depth are the best that they've been in years.

Since the 2015 draft, he has drafted players with legitimate NHL potential in lower rounds like Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones. 2016 picks like Filip Berglund (a big, two-way RHD) and Aapeli Rasanen (a tenacious, intelligent centre) have a shot at making the big club one day, and 2017 picks like Ostap Safin in the fourth round and Maksimov in the fifth round are already outperforming their draft position.

For free agents cut loose from their draft teams, Chiarelli picked up Matt Benning, a former Bruins pick who made the roster straight out of college, and Ryan Mantha, a former Rangers pick who's doing well in the AHL.

For college free agents, Chiarelli has picked up Drake Caggiula who plays up and down the line up, Nick Ellis who is the starter on our AHL team with a 0.914, and Joe Gambardella who may make it in the NHL as a fourth-line player.

To his discredit, Chiarelli trusted the opinions of Stu MacGregor and Craig MacTavish when he traded for Griffin Reinhart. That was bad.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No. This thread is silly. Chiarelli is good at minor trades. It's the major ones that get him into trouble.

New_York_Islanders.gif
Jordan Eberle
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2017
Ryan Strome
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Slight win for NY
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Justin Fontaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
March 1, 2017
Taylor Beck
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
David Desharnais
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2017
Brandon Davidson
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Henrik Samuelsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
January 1, 2017
Mitchell Moroz
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Minor League deal...
* Wash
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Nail Yakupov
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
October 7, 2016
Zach Pochiro
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Taylor Hall
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win NJ
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Patrick Maroon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 29, 2016
Martin Gernat
2016 4th round pick
Anaheim_Ducks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
St._Louis_Blues.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
Niklas Lundstrom
2016 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Florida_Panthers.gif
Teddy Purcell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Justin Schultz
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 27, 2016
2016 3rd round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win PIT
Vancouver_Canucks.gif
Philip Larsen
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 24, 2016
2017 5th round pick
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Montreal_Canadiens.gif
Ben Scrivens
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
December 28, 2015
Zack Kassian
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Anders Nilsson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 6, 2015
Liam Coughlin
Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Lauri Korpikoski
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 30, 2015
Boyd Gordon
Arizona_Coyotes.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Travis Ewanyk
2015 4th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
Eric Gryba
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Wash
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif
Martin Marincin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 4th round pick
Brad Ross
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Wash
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Cam Talbot
2015 7th round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 27, 2015
2015 2nd round pick
2015 3rd round pick
2015 7th round pick
New_York_Rangers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win EDM
Edmonton_Oilers.gif
Griffin Reinhart
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Win NY
Good job. The only one I'd change is the Desharnais trade to a win because he helped them advance in the playoffs and Davidson had fallen to the #8 D.

Reactions: Coffey

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel
Why do you behave like a child instead of just accepting valid criticism of your team's GM? And congrats you brought up trades that a GM who hasn't been with the organization in 5 years made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad