Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
LOL I think that was the whole point.

Leaf fan here, Oilers suck, Chia is one of the worst GMs there is.

However, he DID NOT trade Barzal. Almost everything else he did was crap, but you can't say he traded Barzal. He traded the pick, which was still a bad trade, but what the other team does with the pick is their business. Or else the Leafs traded Rackell (you can't really say Seguin because no one knew it would be a lottery pick at the time of the trade), Tampa traded Rhinne, etc

I don't think his point is to say "well Leafs GM sucks they traded ___". I think he knows Chia sucks, but his point is you can't trade a player you never had.

Thanks for being literally one of two people who actually read and understood what I said!! The rest are quick to attack and ignore the actual message.

Chiarelli is a bonehead and most of his moves have been bad, but lets not for a second pretend that the Oilers traded Barzal unless you want all your traded picks brought back in that form.....

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Hall McDavid Barzal
Maroon Draisaitl Eberle
_____ RNH ______

Klefbom Rielly
Nurse Sergarchev

What could have been...

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Hall McDavid Barzal
Maroon Draisaitl Eberle
_____ RNH ______

Klefbom Rielly
Nurse Sergarchev

What could have been...

Lol. No way Oilers should have taken Rielly or Sergachev over Yak or Pool party at the time. In hindsight? Yes. But not at that time.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Everyone knew the Islanders were taking Barzel.

Bob Mckenzie reported they were trying to trade up to get him.

So after edmonton put that pick on the market multiple teams wanted to move up

So I think the Chiarelli knew the trade was Barzel for Reinhart.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
As a manager you sometimes have to solve problems without the possibility of an ideal solution. It’s not a case of winning/losing but making the best of a situation.
I’d say Chia is not a good problem solver at this point.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
they had the pick with which barzal was selected, chances are they would've taken barzal if the trade never went through.

Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel

So the defence for making a bad trade is that if they had kept the pick, they would have screwed that up anyway?

As for the Leafs, yea, those were both bad trades. I don't think you'll hear anyone except maybe a vocal minority of Leaf fans that think otherwise. But they were also both 5+ years ago and 2 GMs ago.

As for the OP's question, the Talbot and Maroon trades at least were good. Sekera signing as well I think is decent, though some risk towards the second half of it. But then obviously a bunch of other moves that haven't worked out.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Oilers are in a really bad spot. They have two very talented forwards, and everyone else is expendable. THey need to dramatically improve their forward core if they are going to become serious contenders.

Chiarelli has done an awful job and instead of trying to build through the draft , and capitalize on cheap assets he has hand cuffed the team financially to older players that are not pulling their own weight.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, but it’s pretty common for the hockey community to use the player selected with the draft pick as part of the trade.

“Leafs traded Seguin for Kessel”

That didn’t actually happened, but it was the draft pick they traded that ended up being that player.
You do know Rask was actually drafted by the leafs right? Should probably look into stuff like that before trying to sound like a smart ass.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Talbot, Sekera, Maroon, Kassian, Caggiula, Benning... Yep all horrid.

The Reinhart trade sucks, we know, but trading Hall got a guy that been a staple on the top pairing since he arrived in Edmonton. And in case anyone hasn't noticed, Strome's actually decent to good in Edmonton, solidifiying the #3 centre spot and is up to a 0.5PPG despite not really getting a ton of PP or top 6 time.

Lucic and Russell are pretty meh, but you'd be hard pressed to argue they're hurting the team. Judging by some here, you'd think they're Clarkson or Eriksson equivalents.

Chai's biggest issue has been not replacing Sekera. That loss created a hole on defense that the others couldn't fill, and that's led to a defence that struggles to generate any offence.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So the defence for making a bad trade is that if they had kept the pick, they would have screwed that up anyway?

As for the Leafs, yea, those were both bad trades. I don't think you'll hear anyone except maybe a vocal minority of Leaf fans that think otherwise. But they were also both 5+ years ago and 2 GMs ago.

As for the OP's question, the Talbot and Maroon trades at least were good. Sekera signing as well I think is decent, though some risk towards the second half of it. But then obviously a bunch of other moves that haven't worked out.
So why do the last 10 years of oilers being bad matter right now then? That was like 5 GM's ago.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The amount of hindsight criticism in this thread is..... pretty much exactly what I would expect.

What if the Wild had drafted Price, Lucic, and Jamie Benn in the early 2000s??? Hmm those guys are dummies too!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Drafting Puljujarvi should be added to his blunders as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yep, no chance that could turn out well.
Definitely. Should have been a massive red flag when Jarmo Kekalainen passed on him (who's a magnificant scout of Finnish talent and talent in general) but Edmonton didn't heed the warning.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Drafting Puljujarvi should be added to his blunders as well.

Prospect development is not a linear path. Puljujarvi looks underwhelming right now, but he's 19? 20? Hardly worrisome territory right now, and not especially since he was projected to go 3rd overall.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Oilers are in a really bad spot. They have two very talented forwards, and everyone else is expendable. THey need to dramatically improve their forward core if they are going to become serious contenders.

Chiarelli has done an awful job and instead of trying to build through the draft , and capitalize on cheap assets he has hand cuffed the team financially to older players that are not pulling their own weight.
It's kind of hard to judge his drafting based on two years in. That's more of a long term project isn't it?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
LOL I think that was the whole point.

Leaf fan here, Oilers suck, Chia is one of the worst GMs there is.

However, he DID NOT trade Barzal. Almost everything else he did was crap, but you can't say he traded Barzal. He traded the pick, which was still a bad trade, but what the other team does with the pick is their business. Or else the Leafs traded Rackell (you can't really say Seguin because no one knew it would be a lottery pick at the time of the trade), Tampa traded Rhinne, etc

Fair enough, he traded a pick that could have been Barzal if he wanted him(he was on the clock with Barzal on the board when the trade happened), if he was too dumb to want Barzal and want some lesser player instead and that makes anyone feel better about his choice then go for it. It's different than trades that happen without being on the clock. If anyone wants to make fun of Burke for wanting Biggs instead of picks 30 and 39 go for it(I'll be right there with you) because he knew that's what he was getting and giving up at the time. Not Rakell and Gibson.

Combined the decision to want Eriksson Ek over Barzal, and Reinhart over Eriksson Ek equals wanting Reinhart over Barzal too. Throw in a 2nd round pick too for fun. I won't call it Beauvillier because he wasn't on the board when he traded that pick away(and the Isles traded up with that pick)

(Reinhart - Ek) + (Ek - Barzal) = Reinhart - Barzal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad