Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He traded Eberle for nothing. Yakupov for nothing. Hall who was almost PPG for a top 4D. Signed Lucic to 6M a year. Barzal for Reinhart.

The only moves that he made that look were ‘solid’ would be picking up waiver players and putting them with McDavid to make them appear to have more value. The Talbot trade is the one good move I remember in his tenure as GM.

I can’t remember the last time a GM arguably lost every move he’s made as GM. I can’t see him getting another NHL job for a while if he’s fired. He lucked into McDavid, and is surrounding him with borderline NHLers and signing them to retirement contracts.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He probably will get another job. Personnel with a cup always find a way, even if he had nothing to do with his cup.

But Maroon, Talbot, Kassian and Yakupov were all decent enough trades. Obviously he's still collectively done an atrocious job though.

Last edited:

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
they had the pick with which barzal was selected, chances are they would've taken barzal if the trade never went through.

Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

Rickard Rackell + John Gibson for Tyler Biggs

Seguin + Knight + Hamilton for Kessel

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Its been said before, they wouldn't have. Anyway since we're playing that hypothetical game I think its only fair to bring in some trades from the OP's favorite team:

well on that note that's another thing to make fun of them for

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He probably will get another job. Personnel with a cup always find a way, even if he had nothing to do with his cup.

But Maroon, Kassian and Yakupov were all decent enough trades. Obviously he's still collectively done an atrocious job though.

Getting gassed ( huge hypothetical) by two teams in three years is a big black mark. He may have to work his way back up the food chain.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

See....I think and I may be stepping out on a limb here. The people who thought those trades were a good idea have been shot out of a cannon in Toronto....while in Edmonton? Not so much.

Reactions: naruto

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
See....I think and I may be stepping out on a limb here. The people who thought those trades were a good idea have been shot out of a cannon in Toronto....while in Edmonton? Not so much.

I really don't see anyone in Edmonton defending Chiarelli's record too much but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative too well....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
they had the pick with which barzal was selected, chances are they would've taken barzal if the trade never went through.

Nope, it was Erikkson Ek or Svechnikov if reports are to be believed which says more about their scouts than anything that Barzal (which was a gift) amongst others weren't higher on their list. Carlo was going to be the 2nd pick apparently so yeah, really sucks as an Oiler fan, and most of us knew right away that it was a disaster trade. At least his other trades made some sense needswise.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Why stop there? Why not dig further into the past? The Gretzky trade was a good one!

Reactions: 1specter and ottawa

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Nope, it was Erikkson Ek or Svechnikov if reports are to be believed which says more about their scouts than anything that Barzal (which was a gift) amongst others weren't higher on their list. Carlo was going to be the 2nd pick apparently so yeah, really sucks as an Oiler fan, and most of us knew right away that it was a disaster trade. At least his other trades made some sense needswise.
damn either way it's brutal

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
When did the Oilers own Barzal? Credibility dismissed. Leaf fan alert whoop whoop.

Well, I mean... the Oilers traded the pick at the draft knowing their position and the players available. It’s a lot more credible than saying the Leafs traded Seguin for Kessel when the trade was made before the season even began, but I don’t hear you complaining about that.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
This is getting beaten to death now...but yes without looking at all his trades as Oilers GM he has lost majority of them.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
well on that note that's another thing to make fun of them for

Not saying I agree with the trade but if we are looking at draft hindsight I’m pretty sure a case can be made for every GM in the league blowing it at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad