Has Chiarelli lost every trade/signing he’s made as Oilers GM? (Mod Warning post #68)

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Oiler fans really love that chia guy by the way they are defending him.

A match made in heaven.

Reactions: Menzinger

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Oiler fans really love that chia guy by the way they are defending him.

A match made in heaven.
Nah, I don't love him. But to say he has made zero good signings/trades is an outright lie.
We didn't get to game 7 of the 2nd round by flukes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No my point still stands, the Oilers never had Barzal but thanks for coming out champ.
Several teams missed out by passing on barzal. But only EDM and Boston fans complain openly about it.

I'm sure FLA regrets the Crouse pick. How does SJ feel about meier? Dal with guryonov? And what about LA who dealt a pick for 1 year of lucic instead of keeping it and taking barzal.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not every trade, no. The Talbot pickup was good. Kassian was free and helped in the playoffs.

He’s been bad far more than he’s been good, but even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not every trade, no. The Talbot pickup was good. Kassian was free and helped in the playoffs.

He’s been bad far more than he’s been good, but even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut.
For just trades, hall for Larsson solved a need.
Reinhart, not sure what the pro scouts from Edmonton saw in him.
Strome, saves EDM cap room for 1 year in a year the oilers have cap room. If he performed well, u would have to pay him well when Connors new deal kicks in. If he performs poorly, then you haven't improved your team and you have to qualify him at $2.5 million and take him to arbitration. Ebs contract was a bit high for what he was doing.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Several teams missed out by passing on barzal. But only EDM and Boston fans complain openly about it.

I'm sure FLA regrets the Crouse pick. How does SJ feel about meier? Dal with guryonov? And what about LA who dealt a pick for 1 year of lucic instead of keeping it and taking barzal.

One of the reasons Lombardi was fired.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nah, I don't love him. But to say he has made zero good signings/trades is an outright lie.
We didn't get to game 7 of the 2nd round by flukes.

Having a generational player certainly helps to mask flaws.

Though, this season that certainly seems to have its limits.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Talbot trade was a steal....Hall,Reinhart and Eberle were just awful

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The oilers never had barzal and were not going to take him. Oilers had three natural centres under the age of 22. If the oilers kept that pick.. they would have taken a D!..

And where are All The bashing of the pens for trading that pick first? Barzal was taken with the pens pick. But that would hurt the argument of some.

The problem with this argument that is all over this thread is that this isn't your typical revisionist looking back at what pick was traded and what that player became. Most of the times fan do this and then scream because their team went all in during an off-season (post draft) or during the season and the player they traded for didn't work out. Then they look at what that pick they traded became and are upset because they lost out on that player. That I agree is too revisionist.

But Chia made this trade on draft day. He made this trade saying that Reinhart would be better than players that he's staring in the face in the same room. The Pens made this trade when it was just a pick. They had no idea where the pick would be, who would be available, what the draft rankings would be on draft day, what the team draft order is, etc. That's quite a bit different.

That's fine if the news is that he wouldn't have taken him, but that makes this worse, not better.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
His awful moves outnumber his good or even OK moves so ya, he sucks. He sucks bad and I think he is a large part of the reason the oilers aren't very good. Lots of blame for scouting, upstairs and the players to go around though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The problem with this argument that is all over this thread is that this isn't your typical revisionist looking back at what pick was traded and what that player became. Most of the times fan do this and then scream because their team went all in during an off-season (post draft) or during the season and the player they traded for didn't work out. Then they look at what that pick they traded became and are upset because they lost out on that player. That I agree is too revisionist.

But Chia made this trade on draft day. He made this trade saying that Reinhart would be better than players that he's staring in the face in the same room. The Pens made this trade when it was just a pick. They had no idea where the pick would be, who would be available, what the draft rankings would be on draft day, what the team draft order is, etc. That's quite a bit different.

That's fine if the news is that he wouldn't have taken him, but that makes this worse, not better.

Where is the thread BASHING the PENS then? IT was THEIR draft PICK!

this is a giant troll thread against the oilers nothing more nothing less

the fact it is still open says a lot about this site.

Maroon, Cags, Benning, Talbot, Kassian

Where is the THREAD BASHING THE PENS FOR IT THEN?

The PICK WAS THEIRS

This one giant troll thread against oilers fans and it is a sad statement towards this site that it is still open.

The trade for Talbot and Kassian? Signing of Cags and Benning

OP does not mention those--

this is another bash oiler threads and after the next loss there will be another one and it will lack creativity and objectivity. And will have the OP waiting for oiler fans to respond and then immediately click the report button

Reactions: McRpro

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Inflammatory statements are the new fake news.

Great thread. Every says its great! Thats what they all tell me!

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
He traded Eberle for nothing. Yakupov for nothing. Hall who was almost PPG for a top 4D. Signed Lucic to 6M a year. Barzal for Reinhart.

The only moves that he made that look were ‘solid’ would be picking up waiver players and putting them with McDavid to make them appear to have more value. The Talbot trade is the one good move I remember in his tenure as GM.

I can’t remember the last time a GM arguably lost every move he’s made as GM. I can’t see him getting another NHL job for a while if he’s fired. He lucked into McDavid, and is surrounding him with borderline NHLers and signing them to retirement contracts.

How DARE you post this thread? You had NO right to do that! The NYI are NOT finished making all of the trades with EDM they need to, as McD and Draisatl for Hickey and a 4th rounder is our next trade going down the pipeline, and you can't alert Chiarelli it might not be a good trade for them....shhhhhhhhh.....

Besides, his job is safe because as long as Garf is employed, Chia-pet simply CANNOT be the league's worst GM.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Reinhart for 1st, 2nd picks - Big loss. Tried to get an NHL ready prospect based on the scouting staffs recommendation and it failed.

Talbot, 7th for 2nd, 3rd, 7th - Talbot was a top 5 goalie last year. Huge win.

Gryba for Marincin, Ewanyk - 2 non NHLers for a 6/7 dman. Good trade.

Korpikoski for Gordon - 2 declining players. Gordon was at least very good defensively. Minor loss.

Nilsson for Coughlin - Backup goalie for a bust. Good trade.

Kassian for Scrivens - An already replaced backup goalie for a versatile 3rd liner. Good trade.

5th for Larsen - A pick for a non NHLer. Good trade.

3rd for Schultz - A pick for a badly regressing 4/5 dman. Decent trade (would’ve been good if Schultz hadn’t rebounded).

3rd for Purcell - A pick for a player we weren’t going to sign, when we weren’t going to make the playoffs. Good trade.

Lundstrom, 5th for Nilsson - A pick for a goalie who was going to lose his spot to LB. Good trade.

Maroon for Gernat, 4th. A player scoring at a 30 goal pace for us, for practically nothing. Huge win.

Larsson for Hall. A top pairing dman for a top line winger. We lost value but made the team better. Decent trade.

Pochiro, 3rd for Yakupov. A 3rd for a guy who put up 9 points and wasn’t qualified. Good trade.

Samuelsson for Moroz. Bust swap. Decent, albeit pointless, trade.

Desharnais for Davidson. Traded our #7 dman for a short term solution at 3C. Good trade.

Fontaine for Beck. Minor leaguer swap. Decent trade.

Strome for Eberle. Clear downgrade but a much more versatile player, and significant boost to our capspace. Minor loss.

By my count, that’s

2 Very good trades
8 Good trades
4 Decent trades
2 Bad trades
1 Very bad trade

Signings

Letestu - 3 years @ 1.8 per - Solid 4C and Plays both special teams. Good signing

Sekera - 6 years @ 5.5 per - Everyone thought he was getting 6.5-7 per. Has continued to be a #2/3 dman. Great signing

Benning - ELC - Has been a solid #5 straight out of college - Great signing

Caggiula - ELC - Versatile depth forward. Good signing.

Lucic - 7 years @ 6 per - Brought in to be a ~55 point, physical, veteran leader. Has done just that. Good deal if you think he’ll remain healthy. Bad deal if you think players magically fall off the face of the earth at 30.

Russell - 1 Year @ 3.1 per - Stepped in as a steady #4. Great signing.

Jokinen - 1 year @ 1.1 per - Turned our to be absolutely useless, but still proved tradeable. Bad signing.

Russell - 4 years @4 per - Bad on the surface, but it’s structured for him to be dealt after 2 or 3 years. Ok to bad signing.

3 great signings
2 or 3 good signings
0 or 1 ok signings
1 to 3 bad signings

I don’t see how one could think he’s lost more trades/signings than he’s won, let alone thinking he’s lost all of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad