Rumor: Hamonic deciding between Calgary and Vancouver

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Considering Vancouver only has one right handed defenseman in their top 6 currently, (while Schmidt can play either side), it seems like a good fit, and he would basically be guaranteed good minutes. He could anchor a third pairing there, either with Benn, or hopefully, Rathbone is able to play NHL minutes and Hamonic can help guide him through the NHL experience. I think those two would make a great complimentary pairing, one guy with speed to burn, can lead the rush, the other guy slow and steady.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Van to WPG is like a 3 hour flight with no hassles at airports. Easy to get direct flights. Also I read the Jets may not play at home this year due to restrictions, unless they are lifted by season opening.

Jets have already received an exemption to have camp in Winnipeg. I am assuming given that fact they likely get one to play in Winnipeg as well.

As for Hamonic, some third hand info early in FA period indicated that the org wasn't super interested in adding him. I would wager if they were interested Hamonic would have been inked already.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Is he better than Myers?

We have three top 4 dmen then a bottom pairing guy in Myers, pluse three rookies and a #9 in J Benn. Would love a #4 but doesnt sound like thats what he is

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Probably the only 2 teams that have shown him interest. He sucks now, so I'm happy to hear it sounds like he will be playing for one of those two teams in 2021.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
For a million or under makes sense. Hope that he isn't guaranteed minutes and is instead in competition with others for bottom pair minutes. Given he is the only one who shoots right, he would certainly have the inside track. Is he even an upgrade on Benn at this point?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Oilers will want in too I suppose. He'd probably play in the top 4 there..
No, I don’t think the Oilers would be a spot for him. From a depth point of view, Hamonic wouldn’t play over any of Larsson, Bear, or Barrie. Russell and Jones can both play RH side if necessary, plus Bouchard deserves a shot based on his AHL play. From a cap point of view, the Oilers are already spent once we figure a new contract for Bear.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
This^
Its not if, its when
It’s really not. The thing with his injuries is they were all flukey shot blocks or just weird, usually because he overused to the point of sprawling out. It’s all based on usage, which is why his injuries are overstated IMO.

Tanev is a premier defensive dman when playing 20 minutes a night, but it all depends on the usage. He gets hurt if he plays top 2 minutes.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It’s really not. The thing with his injuries is they were all flukey shot blocks or just weird, usually because he overused to the point of sprawling out. It’s all based on usage, which is why his injuries are overstated IMO.

Tanev is a premier defensive dman when playing 20 minutes a night, but it all depends on the usage. He gets hurt if he plays top 2 minutes.
Its not a fluke when its a direct result of how he plays. We're all fairly familiar with Tanev. We've also seen the likes of Hamonic and Russell lead the team in blocked shots from the 2nd or even 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Conbon

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd love this for the Canucks. Schmidt/Hamonic is a massive upgrade over Tanev/Stecher. Getting a Tanev type defensive D on a 1 year cheap deal is far better than us having Tanev for 4 years @$4.5. I'm assuming Ferlands LTIR is the hold up on anything happening.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I'd love this for the Canucks. Schmidt/Hamonic is a massive upgrade over Tanev/Stecher. Getting a Tanev type defensive D on a 1 year cheap deal is far better than us having Tanev for 4 years @$4.5. I'm assuming Ferlands LTIR is the hold up on anything happening.

Hamonic is not good. His highlight reel this year was his 3 goals, a blocked shot and his toothless grin in warmups. He is not a top 4 dman. I would take him on the team as a 6/7th though.

Travis Hamonic Highlights

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Easy pass if Im vancouver
I can see a team signing Hamonic providing the cap is less than 1.1 million, and can all be shipped to the minors if needed. He’s a good guy to have in the organization for depth.
Is he kind of like having Luke Schenn?

Reactions: Breakers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Vancouver Just got rid of an injury prone Tanev and made the smart decision to not give him term

Hamonic has been pretty close to just as injured the past few seasons.
Tanev has missed 94 games the past 4 years
Hamonic has missed 76 games in that same span

18/19 Hamonic was really solid in his underlying numbers
but the last year he wasnt, and 3 and 4 years ago he also wasnt good.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I can see a team signing Hamonic providing the cap is less than 1.1 million, and can all be shipped to the minors if needed. He’s a good guy to have in the organization for depth.
Is he kind of like having Luke Schenn?
Hamonic is getting S*** on here due to a poor season last year. He is a far better player than Luke Shenn. He'd be a great fit on our bottom pair, and is better suited to move up the lineup due to injury than our other current options.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hamonic is a far better dman than Tanev. Flames should have kept Hamonic, he was their best defenseman in the first season he joined the flames.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Vancouver Just got rid of an injury prone Tanev and made the smart decision to not give him term

Hamonic has been pretty close to just as injured the past few seasons.
Tanev has missed 94 games the past 4 years
Hamonic has missed 76 games in that same span

18/19 Hamonic was really solid in his underlying numbers
but the last year he wasnt, and 3 and 4 years ago he also wasnt good.
Yes, but if you get Hamonic on a 1 year cheap deal to fill out the bottom of your roster, he would be fine. He beats our current alternatives.

Reactions: zcaptain

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
This thread title makes Hamonic sound much more coveted than he really is. Seems like a nice guy but as an NHLer... No thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad