Rumor: Hamonic deciding between Calgary and Vancouver

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Maybe playing with Hughes (who is clearly a phenom) will do for Hamonic like it did for Tanev? Tanev had fallen off a Cliff for his performance (and staying healthy) and Hughes shows up and Tanev has his best season in a long time. Maybe Hamonic will be a better fit in Vancouver (because of the Hughes’ advantage) than he was in Calgary?
Playing with a much better player usually has that effect. Like I said earlier, I think Hamonic improves, at least 75% of the teams in the league bottom pairing, for the right price. Expecting him to step in and be a good fit with Hughes might be a stretch. I'd give the nod to Hamonic offensively but Tanev is much better defensively. It could make for some pretty brutal break downs while Hughes is joining the rush. Expectations need to be curbed with these guys. Even with Tanev, I think there's a very small chance that his on ice performance ever lives up to his contract. A good portion of the reason we signed Tanev are his leadership abilities and to bridge the gap between Gio, who will be 38 years old next year, and the kids. People expecting him to be a great top 4 for the duration of the contract, will be disappointed(we don't have a Hughes). Hamonic is perfectly capable of spot fill in for the top 4 but slotting him there permanently might leave you wanting.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Maybe playing with Hughes (who is clearly a phenom) will do for Hamonic like it did for Tanev? Tanev had fallen off a Cliff for his performance (and staying healthy) and Hughes shows up and Tanev has his best season in a long time. Maybe Hamonic will be a better fit in Vancouver (because of the Hughes’ advantage) than he was in Calgary?

I mean, I guess you could try? Doesn’t hurt to give it a brief stint.

I do think that Vancouver would be better off signing Vatanen or simply playing Myers with Hughes. Hanifin is an up and coming defenseman too, people fail to remember that he’s only 23 (maybe 24 now) with so many games under his belt. And Hamonic was just terrible at covering Hanifin. I fear Hughes wouldn’t get covered either.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I do think that Vancouver would be better off signing Vatanen or simply playing Myers with Hughes. Hanifin is an up and coming defenseman too, people fail to remember that he’s only 23 (maybe 24 now) with so many games under his belt. And Hamonic was just terrible at covering Hanifin. I fear Hughes wouldn’t get covered either.
The only thing remotely comparable about Hughes and Hanifin, is their age.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Tanev was really kind of bad (and injured a lot) before Hughes arrival. Maybe Tanev helped Hughes somewhat, but I’m thinking Hughes helped Tanev more. Hamonic would likely be bottom pair in Vancouver anyway. Tanev is going to be top four in Calgary, isn’t he?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Tanev was really kind of bad (and injured a lot) before Hughes arrival. Maybe Tanev helped Hughes somewhat, but I’m thinking Hughes helped Tanev more. Hamonic would likely be bottom pair in Vancouver anyway. Tanev is going to be top four in Calgary, isn’t he?

I assume they'll put him with Gio. Be a great shutdown line and allow Gio to pinch more.

See if Andersson and hanafin can keep growing as a pairing. Too irresistible to not put them together. If it works that's a pairing for the next 5 years.

Valimaki could force himself into the top 4 too so who knows

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I assume they'll put him with Gio. Be a great shutdown line and allow Gio to pinch more.

See if Andersson and hanafin can keep growing as a pairing. Too irresistible to not put them together. If it works that's a pairing for the next 5 years.

Valimaki could force himself into the top 4 too so who knows
I accept this is off topic a bit, but even Hamonic chooses a different team than the Flames, that team is going to still be vastly better with their improvements of Tanev and Markstrom.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I accept this is off topic a bit, but even Hamonic chooses a different team than the Flames, that team is going to still be vastly better with their improvements of Tanev and Markstrom.

I think Anderson is the biggest difference. Boys gonna be good.

Tanev is probably a downgrade on Brodie overall, but at the most important part of the playoffs they were playing forbort with Gio.

Tanev, Gio and the backlund line should be able to shut that shit down next year

Hamonic is looking at a contested number 6 role

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

All things equal, Vatanen is obviously a better player and I would love to have him on the Canucks. However, I expect Vatanen to get a bigger contract than a one year low salary contract, which is what I expect Hamonic to get (low enough to fit in the Canucks remaining LTIR space).

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Tanev is probably a downgrade on Brodie overall, but at the most important part of the playoffs they were playing forbort with Gio.

Tanev, Gio and the backlund line should be able to shut that shit down next year

The X factor is Valimaki. If he turns into a mobile play rusher (like he's playing in Finland right now) in the NHL that will be huge for this group. Obviously he's a rookie, and a big unknown.

Markstrom in net should be huge too. The Flames just have not had steady goaltending for a while now. They've had guys who play consistently for stretches, but then let in awful goals at bad times. You can physically see the defence deflate when this happens. When Talbot, Rittich, Elliott, Smith, etc.. would let in that bad goal, it forced the defence off their game and they'd withdraw back around the goalie.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think coaches like guys like Hamonic in their bottom pair, because they know when injuries happen to the top four those guys can move up and take on more minutes in a pinch. And it’s even better if their top four minutes are with a phenom like Hughes. I could see Hamonic’s play hugely improve any minutes he plays with Hughes.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Not sure Hamonic skates fast enough to cover Hughes defensively. Hamonic needs to play with a Giordano or Brodie type. Someone that plays in both ends and also has some offensive upside. The problem is that both Giordano and Brodie play better with each other than Hamonic.

I wouldn't mind Hamonic back in a support #4-6 role while Valimaki and Andersson develop, but I don't want him back as a permanent fixture in our top 4.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd prefer Vatanen, but Hamonic would be a fine fill in on our right side behind Schmidt and Myers.

Schmidt, Myers and Hamonic would be better than Myers, Tanev and Stecher.

We still have Rafferty waiting in the wings, and could be an X factor for us, but if he isn't ready defensively, another year killing it in the AHL statistically while raising his play away from the puck could be a fine way to go.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
suit yourself.

It’s not a coincidence that Hanifin and Brodie played better without Hamonic.

Aannnnnnnnd i could easily say it’s not a coincidence tanev happens to play his best season only when he has the chance to play with quinn Hughes ? But let’s see what happens we don’t have cap room might not even sign with us.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If I had to guess, I would guess that if he is deciding on anything, it is whether to play or not. He's made over 29m over his career. If I'm still guessing, I would guess he doesn't play this season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If I had to guess, I would guess that if he is deciding on anything, it is whether to play or not. He's made over 29m over his career. If I'm still guessing, I would guess he doesn't play this season.
Probably a good guess. Most likely waiting to see what sort of structure the NHL comes up with. If its a bubble situation, with limited exposure to his family, I'd say you're right. Flames and Canucks have probably made offers, likely not very good ones, given their cap situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
As the number 6, bottom pairing right-side guy, i'd like at $1.5M or less.

He's only 30, but he's had a lot of hard miles on him. I think this extended break would have been good for him, especially if he's kept in shape. If used over this upcoming shortened season, I think you could get really good value out of him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Probably cause teams think he's some shutdown #3 and he consistently shows that he can't keep up that pace. He's smart enough, he just is so slow plays an older style

Hammer really went downhill, but a lot of that was just toll on his body, and the quickly changing role of defencement in the NHL. It's too bad he wasn't born 15 years earlier. Hamonic would have been a beast in the clutch and grab era. Hamonic just seems to get less effective the more the game opens up. With most teams going a s far as deploying a defenceman in a hybrid defence/offense role, the game just moves too fast for a player like Hamonic now.

I still think Hamonic is definitely an NHL calibre player though. On a team with a game plan like LA in 2014 Hamonic is still even a solid top 4.

Feb 19, 2018
I hate to say it but Markstrom is showing signs of wear as he was hurt twice if you count the playoffs with significant injuries. Tanev is always hurt and nothing will change. Calgary might look better on paper but neither of the contracts will age well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad