Rumor: Hamonic deciding between Calgary and Vancouver

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Hamonic is from Manitoba. He's stated multiple times that he wants to play close to home. He also has several family members with heath issues. He's clearly a small town guy.

For a little more background, Hamonic grew up on a farm, and his father passed away when he was 10. Since then, he took over a father type role in his family and strongly values time with his family. He refused to play in the bubble, as he did not want to risk getting his family sick. He doesn't seem to care about money or glory. He's also very active in local first nations advocacy and youth groups.

Detroit, a very urban US city, is probably the last place he wants to sign. Because he's willing to take a discount to sign in a Western Canadian city, does not mean any team can just sign him for cheap.

If only there were more people like Travis.

Reactions: Nanuuk

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
My question is... who would take Hanifin's spot if he's traded to make cap space room for a Hoffman signing? Personally I think its expecting a lot to have a player with 24 NHL games under his belt slide into the left side of the 2nd line.

That's the idea with the Hamonic signing. Hamonic would be acquired as #4/5 to fill in for Valimaki and/or Andersson as need be.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The original tweet in the opening post seems to have disappeared. So I found this...

Latest On Travis Hamonic

"While there hasn’t been much to speculate on, Hamonic’s name did come up in conversation today on TSN radio in Vancouver, when Bob Marjanovich explained he had heard that both the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames were interested. Both teams are currently dealing with cap crunches, so would need to move money out before signing Hamonic to a one-year deal, according to Marjanovich."

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I doubt there's many (if any) direct flights from NYC to Winnipeg though. Where as Vancouver and Calgary will have multiple flights daily.

there are flights everyday that depart from New York to anywhere. Going to Winnipeg the only annoying thing is you might have to stop in Minnesota first.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That's the idea with the Hamonic signing. Hamonic would be acquired as #4/5 to fill in for Valimaki and/or Andersson as need be.
Yes... but Hamonic plays the right side and Hanifin plays the left. Hamonic is bad enough playing right.. God help us if he has to play left.
To my knowledge the d-men that the Flames have that play LD, and have NHL experience, are Gio, Hanifin, Kylington, and Valimaki. If Hanifin leaves that leaves a big hole there.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I don't want him in vancouver.

Would rather the young guys get some time.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That top line would possibly be the worst line defensively in the league. Regular season sure but come playoff time? Yikes.

I don't think it's honestly as bad as people think. Monahan and Gaudreau have their failings defensively, but put in an honest effort. There are many top line players who don't even skate back into their own zone.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I don't want him in vancouver.

Would rather the young guys get some time.
Don't worry, its a condensed season so there will be injuries.

With Hamonic in the lineup, we at least wouldn't be 1 injury away from Benn/Chatfield/Juolevi in the top4.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Don't worry, its a condensed season so there will be injuries.

With Hamonic in the lineup, we at least wouldn't be 1 injury away from Benn/Chatfield/Juolevi in the top4.

I'm more interested in seeing rafferty, however unlikely that may be.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Hamonic would be fine as a 3rd pairing guy who can fill in for short periods if there are injuries. Flames fans are hesitant because the team, probably for contract reasons, insisted on playing him on the 2nd pair. He just didn't mesh with Hanifin.

I'd have him back for 1M/per, he can sit in the pressbox if one of the young guys beats him out. If the young guys can't beat him then they aren't ready anyway.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I keep having to remind myself to not get too hyped for this kid. I had no idea he was an RD that would be huge for the Flames
Don't get too hyped, in most highlights Valimaki is playing as a LD, played as a LD last time he was in Calgary, and there are no guarantees that translates to the next level. I'm sure he's played some RD but from everything I've seen other than Ward saying he played RD, he's been a LD

Ledge And Dairy

I keep having to remind myself to not get too hyped for this kid. I had no idea he was an RD that would be huge for the Flames
Well he's a left handed Defenseman but Ilves has played him on the right side nearly the entire season. Considering he is being considered the best player in the league I would say that makes him fairly versatile. Just like how Sergachev can swap from left to right 8 times a game in Tampa I think Valimaki can play the right side this year. If your awareness and game sense is good enough it doesn't matter what way you hold your stick.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well he's a left handed Defenseman but Ilves has played him on the right side nearly the entire season. Considering he is being considered the best player in the league I would say that makes him fairly versatile. Just like how Sergachev can swap from left to right 8 times a game in Tampa I think Valimaki can play the right side this year. If your awareness and game sense is good enough it doesn't matter what way you hold your stick.
It makes a huge difference in the defensive zone, especially for a defensively responsible kid making a big jump. I'd feel far better, developmentally speaking, with him on the left side.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Finnish team he was playing for only has one rhs out of seven d-men... and that guy was the 7th d-man.
Not surprising that he was playing on his off side. Every other RD was doing that too.

But still, it is nice that he was getting some experience there but not sure how much 19 games will help in the NHL.

I fully expect that Valimaki will be playing LD on the Flames. With only 56 games on the schedule every game is super important and there really isn't time to let a rookie experiment on his off side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad