Rumor: Hamonic deciding between Calgary and Vancouver

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hamonic is a far better dman than Tanev. Flames should have kept Hamonic, he was their best defenseman in the first season he joined the flames.

What? I remember thinking he'd get better once he got used to the system and recovered fully.

I was disappointed that he was a #4 quality that year and he just got worse. Saying he was better than Brodie, Hamilton, or Gio is just laughable.

I was happy that he didn't come back for playoffs. Seems like a great guy but he's no more than a depth player now.

Reactions: Conbon

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What? I remember thinking he'd get better once he got used to the system and recovered fully.

I was disappointed that he was a #4 quality that year and he just got worse. Saying he was better than Brodie, Hamilton, or Gio is just laughable.

I was happy that he didn't come back for playoffs. Seems like a great guy but he's no more than a depth player now.
Benning hadn’t been very good with his identifying D, except for Hughes. If Hamonic is just another Benn, Schenn, Gudbranson, or Pizza man then no thanks.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Hanifin and Hamonic didn't click. Neither player made the other better, in any way shape or form. I have a feeling that most of the Flames fans that are exuberantly vocal about Hamonic, will do their best to make sure Tanev is the most hated Flames defenseman since Wideman. At least Hamonic stood up for teammates and hit. He would be a great Tanev replacement in Vancouver, especially under 2 million

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hamonic is a far better dman than Tanev. Flames should have kept Hamonic, he was their best defenseman in the first season he joined the flames.
Never in Hamonic's tenure as a Flames has he ever been close to the best d-man. Year 1 he was lauded as a failure becuase Brodie was put next to him to disastrous results. Hamonic just straight up has been a #4/5 since getting to Calgary and has very few redeeming qualities now. There's a reason Tanev got more than a million and was actually signed to a contract and a reason Hamonic is an afterthought to add as depth right now

Reactions: Conbon and Nanuuk

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't want him in vancouver.

Would rather the young guys get some time.
Who?? Juolevi a left sided guy with 6minutes of NHL time, or Rathbone with none, or Chatfield and Rafferty??? The Canucks don't have RHD in the system and the 1 they do (Rafferty) is a 25 year old undrafted free agent with poor defensive metrics in the AHL. With Hughes, Schmidt, Myers and Edler in their top 4 the Canucks could use some toughness and PK ability. They don't have young guys that fill that role.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Never in Hamonic's tenure as a Flames has he ever been close to the best d-man. Year 1 he was lauded as a failure becuase Brodie was put next to him to disastrous results. Hamonic just straight up has been a #4/5 since getting to Calgary and has very few redeeming qualities now. There's a reason Tanev got more than a million and was actually signed to a contract and a reason Hamonic is an afterthought to add as depth right now
Hamonic will get more than a million. Less than 2 and 75% of the teams in the league would be interested. The reason his price tag is so low is because he only wants to play in western Canada and only 2 teams have an opening, with next to no cap space. My guess is Hamonic took too long deciding if he was going to play and cut out all his options

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hanifin and Hamonic didn't click. Neither player made the other better, in any way shape or form. I have a feeling that most of the Flames fans that are exuberantly vocal about Hamonic, will do their best to make sure Tanev is the most hated Flames defenseman since Wideman. At least Hamonic stood up for teammates and hit. He would be a great Tanev replacement in Vancouver, especially under 2 million

Hamonic never clicked with anyone. That was the problem, everyone was better with someone else.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hamonic never clicked with anyone. That was the problem, everyone was better with someone else.
Its pretty tough shedding, being a defensive defenseman, when there's only 3-4 defensively orientated players on the team. Games are won at both ends of the ice as well as the PK, so many players and fans alike forget this now a days.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hamonic is not good. His highlight reel this year was his 3 goals, a blocked shot and his toothless grin in warmups. He is not a top 4 dman. I would take him on the team as a 6/7th though.

Travis Hamonic Highlights

He would slot in as the Canucks' 5th/6th defender. Is he that bad that it would be a bad signing for 1-2m on the bottom pairing?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What would it even cost on a 1 year deal for hammer?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Its pretty tough shedding, being a defensive defenseman, when there's only 3-4 defensively orientated players on the team. Games are won at both ends of the ice as well as the PK, so many players and fans alike forget this now a days.

I like stay at home guys. Regher, Engellend, ect. Big fans of them. But if that's who you are I expect you to have a good first pass and be able to win battles in the corners and in front of the net. And not get beat out of position.

That's what I want from a #4. Hamonic wasn't it

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What would it even cost on a 1 year deal for hammer?

1.75 tops in this cap climate. I wouldn't give him more than 1.25. He wasn't impressive in his stint in Calgary. Had a good couple weeks here or there but for the most part he just played poorly.

Could never really put the finger on why myself. Never found chemistry with his partners, wasn't particularly physical, made bad reads defensively, mostly useless in the o zone other than ripping high clappers at every opportunity. Not really like he got slow either, he still moved pretty good. He's got some tough miles on him but it seemed mental just as much as it was physical.

As a buy low candidate you could do worse for your bottom pairing. But he's far from the sure thing rock he was once in his career.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Tanev does has never been slow. He skates extremely well - bad take.
He's a fine skater, but he isn't fast. Just saying that will be a big lack of speed on the blue line, especially when you consider the forwards on most of the Canadian teams, and us losing Brodie, our best skating D.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Given his reasons for opting out of the playoffs, does he even want to play this season?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Covid isn't any less of a threat and it's either a bubble, multiple bubbles or nothing. Doesn't seem like any of those scenarios would have his daughter be any more or less safe. Maybe they've agreed as a couple he could just leave the team if something happens, but there's not a whole lot he can do to stop her from getting it that the mother can't do alone. I don't know why I'm even wondering. Should have just left it at what you wrote, lol.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
If Hamonic was signed on a one year show me deal I'd 100% do it. Canucks need RHD... cheaper than Stetcher would've been then sure.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly, Hammer would be a good fit in Vancouver.
RHD, Had an off year but pretty decent player overall.
Would be at least on par with a guy like Troy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If he's willing to actually play this year, Vancouver seems like a great place to do it. It fits with his Western Canada sort of deal, and a place where the pandemic is still going more or less better in BC than on the Prairies, relatively speaking.

He'd also be a perfect fit for what the Canucks need to fill out their defence corps. Heck, he stands a great chance at playing a big minutes role, and very possibly as the stay-at-home presence to Quin Hughes, which seems like a desirable gig.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Harmonic was the flames top pairing dman last season based on ice time which means he have been more exposed then not. Chris tanev was the Canucks number 4 dman, now tanevs numbers shot up big time with the help of being able to play with Hughes, if the canucks sign hammer his role is more likely to be the stay at home guy/ protector of Hughes so right now it’s unlikely harmonic will have to play the hard minutes he did in Calgary.

I am all but 2 thumbs up for the signing of hamonic.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Harmonic was the flames top pairing dman last season based on ice time which means he have been more exposed then not. Chris tanev was the Canucks number 4 dman, now tanevs numbers shot up big time with the help of being able to play with Hughes, if the canucks sign hammer his role is more likely to be the stay at home guy/ protector of Hughes so right now it’s unlikely harmonic will have to play the hard minutes he did in Calgary.

I am all but 2 thumbs up for the signing of hamonic.
You thinking Hamonic would play with Hughes 5 on 5? That’s a good point. Hughes is a phenom. He carried Tanev to a great year, so why not do the same with Hamonic? Great players, like Hughes, make others better.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You thinking Hamonic would play with Hughes 5 on 5? That’s a good point. Hughes is a phenom. He carried Tanev to a great year, so why not do the same with Hamonic? Great players, like Hughes, make others better.

we need a stay at home guy which hamonic is and he’s righty which helps. I know he might have struggled last year but despite that he still he more minutes then all other dmans except for GIORDANO. So the flames fans selling the fact he’s an awful dman or the “oh please sign with Vancouver” bull crap I’m not buying it. Hamonic will be a great addition for us.

Reactions: Luckylarry

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
we need a stay at home guy which hamonic is and he’s righty which helps. I know he might have struggled last year but despite that he still he more minutes then all other dmans except for GIORDANO. So the flames fans selling the fact he’s an awful dman or the “oh please sign with Vancouver” bull crap I’m not buying it. Hamonic will be a great addition for us.

suit yourself.

It’s not a coincidence that Hanifin and Brodie played better without Hamonic.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
suit yourself.

It’s not a coincidence that Hanifin and Brodie played better without Hamonic.
Maybe playing with Hughes (who is clearly a phenom) will do for Hamonic like it did for Tanev? Tanev had fallen off a Cliff for his performance (and staying healthy) and Hughes shows up and Tanev has his best season in a long time. Maybe Hamonic will be a better fit in Vancouver (because of the Hughes’ advantage) than he was in Calgary?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad