Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Michael McCarron and Morgan Ellis

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I think they chose McCarron over Hudon because, after tonight, we're going out west to play against big physical teams. They're probably thinking that Big Mac will be able to handle these games better than Hudon. I wouldn't be surprised if Charles get his chance when they come back from that trip.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sorry Montreal....didn't mean to offend, bad choice of words on my part

no problem. I don't mind when people disagree, it's what makes this place worth discussing opinions. Not directing this at you but in general, it's just that when you put in so much time/energy into watching the prospects and keeping the board updated on what I see, I feel I've earned to at least be responded to in a civil manner although I understand when things are this ugly that emotions run high as I've gone overboard on people in the past.

At the end of the day we can only offer up our thoughts/opinions. Either we will be right or wrong, just have to hope the Habs management knows what they are doing and get it right. There's certainly cause for some doubt with how things have gone in many aspects of the organization but we'll see how it turns out.

NHL/AHL...as long as they are playing, improving, learning. What I hate to see is when they are yanked back and forth.

De La Rose looks better now that he is getting some minutes in the NHL instead of being shuffled back and forth or sitting out.

I think that shows part of the issue, that they are coming up and being sent because they haven't improved upon their weaknesses. That said it's also a little different if you are a top team in the NHL and have a deeper roster so there's not room for the kids without making moves and doing so when you are trying to win is risky since you don't know what that prospect will do in the playoffs when the real season starts.

I don't know if DLR looks better, he was playing better in the AHL but then they called him up and then sent him back and then called him back up. He's had a really up and down year as injuries and call ups have had him in and out of the lineup and roster. To me the real test for DLR is when he gets near his prime and what kind of offensive game he has. If he's more or less just a defensive 4th liner that excels on the PK, vs say being a solid 2nd or 3rd line forward that plays a good two way game even if he's much better in his own end then the offensive zone, I think most would call his development a win. Personally I wish they had handled him differently, but now we just have to wait and see.

Why he so soft though? He is a 4th line player, maybe 3rd and he stood there and let Domi embarrass him. I want to see a guy like that stick up for himself, that was sad.

He doesn't seem like the type to drop the gloves, he will take the body but I don't know if he's been told not to in the NHL or not. Some guys really just don't want to fight no matter what.

Yep....that's on the coach...the benching after minor mistakes is ridiculous.....I couldn't imagine being punished after every mistake I make at work, this is not how you get the most out of people, if anything, it's the complete opposite.

I think for one thing it works different for each person. Some people need a fire lit under them, others need a little freedom to learn/grow. The problem for Therrien is the team he has. If you look at last year, had we just swept the worst team in the NHL we would have finished #1 in the regular season. But we aren't a high scoring team and often have to win 2-1, 3-1 types of games, so a costly mistake could end up meaning we don't get the 2 pts and when you are among the best teams, those mistakes are magnified greatly and then you add to the fact the rabid media/fan base this team has on top of that.

To me that's why they need a better approach at the AHL level. Someone that is better hands on with working on improving the mistakes the young kids are making and giving them more time in the AHL to work on things before putting them in the pressure cooker.

You can imagine a young player makes a mistake and gets benched...then watchs a veteran make a similiar mistake and it's ignored. Would frustrate anyone I believe but that is often the way it is until someone has a coaches confidence.

For rookies though, they usually understand the pecking order and now that rookies aren't held to the same standards as the vets. To me when you have the rookies up, it's a teaching moment, as for the vets, once they are set in their ways it's hard to change.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I don't know if DLR looks better, he was playing better in the AHL but then they called him up and then sent him back and then called him back up. He's had a really up and down year as injuries and call ups have had him in and out of the lineup and roster.

I don't follow the AHL at all, I was referring to where he is at right now in comparison to when he was first up this season, in my opinion.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't follow the AHL at all, I was referring to where he is at right now in comparison to when he was first up this season, in my opinion.

I see. I guess I haven't noticed any difference but that's a really small sample size. He played 3 games after his fist call up, 0 pts, then in his 2nd call up he's played 5 games with 1 pt. That game against the Avs saw him play a season high 15:53 and in the first 2 games he was called up he only got between 9-10 minutes so it would appear he's playing better or at least being given more of a chance to show what he can do.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That is part of the learning process. Everyone is looking for an edge and will try to throw you off your game, he'll have to learn what to do and some of the veterans should be helping him, giving him advise.

If you stood next to me and punched me, I would not need advice from anyone, you would be lying on the ice and looking up at me. That was one of the softest displays I have seen in years, it was embarrassing.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I see. I guess I haven't noticed any difference but that's a really small sample size. He played 3 games after his fist call up, 0 pts, then in his 2nd call up he's played 5 games with 1 pt. That game against the Avs saw him play a season high 15:53 and in the first 2 games he was called up he only got between 9-10 minutes so it would appear he's playing better or at least being given more of a chance to show what he can do.

He has dominated the faceoff circle a few games I have seen, which to me is impressive. Many young centres come into the NHL and struggle.

I am still forming my opinion on him, as to what I think his ceiling could be.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I am still forming my opinion on him, as to what I think his ceiling could be.

me too and I've been watching him in the AHL plus several SHL games and the WJC's. He's really tough to put a finger on. He's got the physical attributes, the size, the skating, speed, work ethic, good in his own end and on the PK. Can take the body, has some offensive skills. There's a lot to like but the big question for me is the upside. If he's a 15-20 goal 40+ point guy then we have ourselves one heck of a player (i'm saying more in his prime years) but if he's a 5-10 goal 15-20 pt guy then we are looing at a really solid 4th liner or maybe average 3rd liner. It's hard to say at this point since he's been in and out of the lineup but he's still so young.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
[/B]

If you stood next to me and punched me, I would not need advice from anyone, you would be lying on the ice and looking up at me. That was one of the softest displays I have seen in years, it was embarrassing.
I might be the same way but for me that comes from playing North American hockey.

He should not necessarily get goaded into a fight either(especially against Tie Domi's son), but he needs to learn to defend himself if he is going stick around.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
no problem. I don't mind when people disagree, it's what makes this place worth discussing opinions. Not directing this at you but in general, it's just that when you put in so much time/energy into watching the prospects and keeping the board updated on what I see, I feel I've earned to at least be responded to in a civil manner although I understand when things are this ugly that emotions run high as I've gone overboard on people in the past.

It's very much appreciated, I enjoy reading your reports on our prospects and I know you put a lot of time and effort into it. If it weren't for you, I'd know about half of what's going on with our future Habitants. I and most of the members on this board tip our hats off to you in your dedication to keeping us educated and informed. :)

And yes, your right, sometimes it does get heated and your pumped about a previous debate and bring it to another and dump on someone that doesn't deserve it :laugh:

Keep up the good work.

P.S I still think McCarron's call up is a good thing :nod:......:laugh:

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
*Heart Eyes* (Except for McCarron at RW but that's inevitable)

Yeah, that's fair, I would much rather see him at centre, especially considering how long he's been playing centre...just trying to put a little bit of realism in it considering our staff. Then again, none of my lineup is realistic considering our staff.

But ultimately I see him as more of a winger. I don't know that he's a good enough skater or passer to really play centre in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's very much appreciated, I enjoy reading your reports on our prospects and I know you put a lot of time and effort into it. If it weren't for you, I'd know about half of what's going on with our future Habitants. I and most of the members on this board tip our hats off to you in your dedication to keeping us educated and informed. :)

And yes, your right, sometimes it does get heated and your pumped about a previous debate and bring it to another and dump on someone that doesn't deserve it :laugh:

Keep up the good work.

P.S I still think McCarron's call up is a good thing :nod:......:laugh:

thanks. hopefully this time it doesn't backfire on us cause we need McCarron badly. At least this should force Lefebvre to put Scherbak back on a line with Hudon and Holloway.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
There was one scrum in front of the Leafs net where it looked like three munchkins in front of a giant.

He looked good tonight.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Big Mac has improved so much since his draft year it's incredible. That is why it is so difficult to truly know what his upside is. All I know is that late first round picks more often times than not do not pan out. Let's hope he and Scherbak change that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
thanks. hopefully this time it doesn't backfire on us cause we need McCarron badly. At least this should force Lefebvre to put Scherbak back on a line with Hudon and Holloway.

Think we can say that this was "good" for McCarron's development ;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
wasn't too thrilled about him being called up cuz I'd rather him develop his offense more on the farm but he was excellent tonight.

Same thing with DLR. He should really be in St.John's getting some confidence in his offensive game but I thought this was one of his better games. He carries the puck a lot better then he did. I just don't know why we're so hell bent on rushing him. Every time he gets a little point streak going on we call him up immediately.

Bud Holloway must have really pissed someone off. Maybe they're worried Hudon isn't quite strong enough yet and they don't want him to get hurt but ffs give Bud a chance just to say you did.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He looked solid last night and was the main reason that second goal was scored. Used his size effectively and showed flashes of the dominating forward we will see in the years to come. Habs have a good one here, McCarron is a huge part of the future for this club.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I really hope McCarron can mold his game after Gallagher. In my eyes he showed flashes of that style last night which was exciting to see. Just imagine, a 6'6" 230 lbs Brendan Gallagher, oh man what a nightmare that would be to play against.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I think Hudon is a lot like some of the guys we have on the team already; fast and small. So guys like De La Rose and McCarron bring a different element. Personally, I don't think De La Rose is ever going to find an offensive game - he's never had it at any level. He's a shutdown guy and that's fine. You win with guys like that. His pass the other night was sick, but plays like that should be considered a bonus.

McCarron I think would benefit from playing NHL hockey for the rest of the season and they can re-evaluate come summer based on how he does. He looked great last night - had five shots in a little over 5 minutes of play and an assist - which was almost a goal. He made DSP play like the player he needs to be to succeed as well. Guys play bigger when they have a beast backing them up. Anybody see McCarron getting into the mix when three Leafs were pushing DSP? They all shrunk real fast when the big guy showed up.

Edit: I thought Andrighetto looked great last night as well. That one play where he charged down the boards, cut behind the net and destroyed a guy twice his size with a hit was stunning. I couldn't believe that was Ghetto! Danault (I have such a hard time with French names, sorry!) looked solid, too. Fiesty and quick on his feet. Great on the face-off and well positioned always. Like Yan Perrault meets De La Rose, hehe. Eager to see Ellis. Patteryn looking for good. Condon is the perfect back-up to Price.

Second youngest team in the league behind only Edmonton right now. I'm all in on this youth movement. Although, I would like to still have Kassian and Tinordi still. They both bring elements this team needs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad