Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Michael McCarron and Morgan Ellis

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
whys that? He's been playing against AHLers all year.

Good game last night, was hitting, shots on net, almost scored a goal, got the assist on DSP goal, 2nd star of the game...

I'd say that was a pretty good lesson for his development.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If still like to see if we have something with Holloway. He's a no cost acquisition. It's probably nothing but I think it's worth the chance to see.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If still like to see if we have something with Holloway. He's a no cost acquisition. It's probably nothing but I think it's worth the chance to see.

Not sure why they haven't given him a look by now, but too bad as it would have been interesting to see how he would do.

Still a step up from OHL last year and a definite confidence booster for the guy.

it was more of a jab at the leafs, hence him facing an AHL team last night so he should be used to it. My whole point isn't if he does well or not, it's why take the risk when it's backfired so badly on us in the past and he was not playing at the level he did at the start of the year. He's got 2 goals in his last 26 games in the AHL, to me that doesn't warrant a call up when others have been doing better. That said he's my 2nd favorite prospect so it was a lot of fun watching him last night. Kid is going to be a beast, especially when he's screening goalies on the PP.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You can see the improvement from even last season. He does need a bit more quickness. He is raw but for all intents and purposes he is now a center. I don't see him playing wing in the NHL. If he continues improving like he has since he was drafted he will end up a top 6 center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think the biggest thing he's gonna need to work on, is his stamina.

He expends a lot of energy on the ice (which isn't surprising looking at his frame) and he's often gassed at the end of even short shifts.

That should/will improve with time though, so I'm not worried....

Big future of ahead of Big Mac

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Not sure why they haven't given him a look by now, but too bad as it would have been interesting to see how he would do.

it was more of a jab at the leafs, hence him facing an AHL team last night so he should be used to it. My whole point isn't if he does well or not, it's why take the risk when it's backfired so badly on us in the past and he was not playing at the level he did at the start of the year. He's got 2 goals in his last 26 games in the AHL, to me that doesn't warrant a call up when others have been doing better. That said he's my 2nd favorite prospect so it was a lot of fun watching him last night. Kid is going to be a beast, especially when he's screening goalies on the PP.

Not sure you can blame his slump 100% on his call up. I also think that bringing them in right now is as good a time as any. More ice time and a lot less pressure than if this team was competitive. A good time to experiment with the lines and tell these guys to go out a be creative.

I do agree that they need to be careful with the way they handle him. To me, he's the habs best and most important prospect. They better not turn him into another grinder. He can be so much more than that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not sure you can blame his slump 100% on his call up. I also think that bringing them in right now is as good a time as any. More ice time and a lot less pressure than if this team was competitive. A good time to experiment with the lines and tell these guys to go out a be creative.

I do agree that they need to be careful with the way they handle him. To me, he's the habs best and most important prospect. They better not turn him into another grinder. He can be so much more than that.

I never said it was, he actually started to struggle a bit before the first call up but then he had a hattrick and then was called up. My point is just for someone so important to our future they should not risk bringing him up unless he was playing lights out and he clearly wasn't.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom

He expends a lot of energy on the ice (which isn't surprising looking at his frame) and he's often gassed at the end of even short shifts.

If he wants to stay with the Habs next season he's going to work harder this off-season than he ever has, and he'll have to work with the pros. They'll be able to tell him what the best weight for him to play at is, and he'll get to that exact weight before the season starts.

He needs to be big enough to keep his frame filled out, but thin enough to not waste too much energy. Players like Byfuglien are the exception, because most 250 lb players can't skate that fast and that hard all the time.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Once mac adjusts to NHL speed and hits accordingly, he will be more than a handful to play against. I am all for big players with talent and I wish we had more of them, team toughness is something we dearly lack and we need more of it before we become contenders.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I noticed that too. If he's going to play a 200 foot game (which he seems like he does) and play the style we want him too, he'll definitely have to improve in that area. I'm really really confident in him. he's going to fill some big needs.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I noticed that too. If he's going to play a 200 foot game (which he seems like he does) and play the style we want him too, he'll definitely have to improve in that area. I'm really really confident in him. he's going to fill some big needs.

True. He does seem to fade a little later in the game but with all the work he's put into training, I'm sure he'll sort it out. He's improved so much already this year. A few little areas to work on and he can become a star player or at the very least, a player other teams hate playing against. Not many guys his size are so fast on the ice and have those sort of hands. He has tons of potential.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Really looking forward to Monday's game, despite losing Weise & Fleischmann, hoping the Habs take it too San Jose. It will mark their 1st win there since November 1999, having added some beef in McCarron, JDLR, Ellis, Danault, the Habs are younger & bigger with the desire & talent the youngsters bring, perhaps WE get the Big W on Monday. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap: Also hoping that Weise & Fleischmann win a Stanley Cup with Chicago, very good chance for two really hard working gems, IMHO.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would think Ellis gets in a game at some point soon depending if any moves are made at the deadline tomorrow. I've said Pateryn needs to use his big point shot more, hopefully Ellis if he plays will use his shot.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
At this point he should be kept up. Allow him to gain experience at the NHL pace and it will help him make quicker, better decisions. His speed will likely improve at least a bit, but it will be his stickchecking that will make him a good NHLer. Good reach and IQ can make up for lack of mobility (and McCarron isn't that slow to begin with)

Also I really like McCarrons hands. Very soft. And his play in the slot too

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
At this point he should be kept up. Allow him to gain experience at the NHL pace and it will help him make quicker, better decisions. His speed will likely improve at least a bit, but it will be his stickchecking that will make him a good NHLer. Good reach and IQ can make up for lack of mobility (and McCarron isn't that slow to begin with)

Yeah, it's nice to have that big a guy that will sometimes have assists because his big ass blocked the puck and somebody else chipped it in. I'd park him in front during powerplays.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...-staying-with-montreal-canadiens-rest-of-year

He's here for the remainder according to this article. He's honestly pretty fast though. It doesn't look like it since he's massive but the guy can move. Wouldn't be surprised if he's faster than Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Having a guy like that really puts pressure on dmen and I can assure you they're gonna hate going into corners when he's on the ice.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They wouldn't be dumb enough to trade the big guy for a smaller French Canadian named Drouin would they?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad