Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Michael McCarron and Morgan Ellis

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Only 1 defensemen in the AHL has more goals then Ellis, he's been really good at getting his shot off and he's got a heavy one. I've noticed he picks his spot better this year and it's fairly accurate. To me while he's been solid in his own end for sure, he's looked a lot better in the offensive zone. For much of the season he wasn't even on the PP then it was the 2nd PP unit until the last month or so when they finally put him on the top unit. The PP has had a major turnaround since last year (although McCarron screening the goalie has made a big impact).

When I think of Gorges I think shot blocking. That was Tinordi's thing, Didier is another one that is good at it. Ellis not so much. Not saying he's bad in his own end but I think his offensive game has really developed.

Maybe he's ready for NHL then but I don't see an offensive guy in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Maybe he's ready for NHL then but I don't see an offensive guy in the NHL.

Well it's impossible to guess if he's even an NHL guy. At this point we have a prospect who did nothing in 3 years in the AHL, turns things around in the ECHL, clears waivers this year and now has put up more offense this year then his previous 3 years combined. What the future holds for him in the NHL is very hard to say at this point. I assume he'll fight with Pateryn for a spot next year and the loser goes to the AHL and hope they clear. But if he does get a shot to be a full time NHLer, I do think he will bring more in the way of offense then he will shot blocking. He does have a really good shot.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I think McCarron is fast enough if we play the right system.

A team that dumps and chases needs very fast players, and McCarron will look out of place in a system like this. A team that carries the puck in and sets up doesn't need McCarron to be the fastest guy on the ice.

Look at San Jose as an example, I know Joe Thornton is one of the best in the league at this but he isn't the fastest player and he manages to get the puck into the zone every single time and set up the puck. If we had a system like this more of our players would flourish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad