Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Michael McCarron and Morgan Ellis

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm fine with McCarron up if he is actually used. Playing for 5 minutes in a pure checking role does not equate to giving him a chance to shine.

Wish Hudon got another shot though.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
and Tinordi at 20, Beaulieu at 20, Leblanc at 20. It's certainly worked out in the past. :shakehead

I've seen almost every game he's played in the AHL and he's just starting to get back on track. He went 17 games without a goal despite playing on the top line and top PP unit. Since then he's got 2 in the last 9 games, or 2 goals in last 26 games. He got off to a really great start with 20 pts in 21 games and now he's had 14 pts in 33 games.

You probably watch more games from the AHL team than most around here. Just curious but who would've been your callup?

Hudon? Or maybe Holloway so we don't ruin any of our youngsters? Lefevre seems just as bad, if not worse than Therrien, so getting the young guys away from him don't seem like such a bad thing.

What does Hudon have to do?

Not be a threat to coach favorite DD.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It had no detrimental impact on Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Leblanc. If anything they should have played more in the NHL.

That's why they are all struggling because they didn't play more at 20/21? So when they don't show enough at the AHL level, you think playing them more in the NHL is the answer?

You probably watch more games from the AHL team than most around here. Just curious but who would've been your callup?

Hudon? Or maybe Holloway so we don't ruin any of our youngsters? Lefevre seems just as bad, if not worse than Therrien, so getting the young guys away from him don't seem like such a bad thing.

Imo Lefebvre is easily worse then Therrien. I would have called up Holloway or Friberg. Hudon is a guy I have been saying they should have called up over all the other call ups since he's been better in the AHL then all of them except Holloway. But it would depend on what role they wanted him for as I would rather see him on the top line in the AHL then the 4th line in the NHL.

I wanna see Big Mac puts some bodies on the floor.

He hasn't been as physical as I thought he would be but maybe he'll be fired up. I actually didn't get to see much of the 2 games he played in his first call up as I believe I was sick at the time but what Therrien should be happy with is that he's playing well in his own end and what we need from him is that he's been really good on the PP standing in the crease.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Imo Lefebvre is easily worse then Therrien. I would have called up Holloway or Friberg. Hudon is a guy I have been saying they should have called up over all the other call ups since he's been better in the AHL then all of them except Holloway. But it would depend on what role they wanted him for as I would rather see him on the top line in the AHL then the 4th line in the NHL.

Well since Hudon is mostly a C/LW I guess he doesn't really have a spot in the top 6 if they're going to keep Galchenyuk at wing. I do believe McCarron could really use more time in the AHL before being called up but he can play RW and gets away from Lefebvre who is a terrible coach so it might not end up being so bad. It won't be too late to callup Hudon in a few games either way, so we'll see how they go from here.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's why they are all struggling because they didn't play more at 20/21? So when they don't show enough at the AHL level, you think playing them more in the NHL is the answer?

Yes, players like Tinordi and Beaulieu should have been allowed to play in the NHL when they were outperforming Allen, Murray, and Bouillon. They should get real tryouts, not have their confidence ruined with a benching every time they make an error. The Habs should be like most NHL teams, they should give an opportunity to their young players.

But this isn't event that. This is two young players getting a taste of the big team.

It's equivalent to giving one glass of red wine to a 17 year-old: No, it's not going to cause alcoholism. You're completely out to lunch to think it will.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well since Hudon is mostly a C/LW I guess he doesn't really have a spot in the top 6 if they're going to keep Galchenyuk at wing. I do believe McCarron could really use more time in the AHL before being called up but he can play RW and gets away from Lefebvre who is a terrible coach so it might not end up being so bad. It won't be too late to callup Hudon in a few games either way, so we'll see how they go from here.

true we don't know what other moves could be in the works. As much as I can't stand Lefebvre, he's actually done a good job with McCarron. McCarron went through a long stretch where he really struggled to produce yet he never took him off the top 2 lines and only once did he move him away from center (off the top of my head) plus he always put him out there on the PP and PK so no matter how he played he got the quality ice.

Although I can't say the same for how he's handled Scherbak. Starting him on the 3rd line, moving him to center when he just getting back from being out. Moving him around the lineup from RW to C to LW. Tonight he puts him on a line with Friberg and Dumont, not the biggest issue since they are good in their own end, but why not put McCarron there and put Scherbak with Hudon and Holloway. I know that Scherbak needs to get stronger but to me he should be playing with the most skilled players.

Yes, players like Tinordi and Beaulieu should have been allowed to play in the NHL when they were outperforming Allen, Murray, and Bouillon. They should get real tryouts, not have their confidence ruined with a benching every time they make an error. The Habs should be like most NHL teams, they should give an opportunity to their young players.

But this isn't event that. This is two young players getting a taste of the big team.

It's equivalent to giving one glass of red wine to a 17 year-old: No, it's not going to cause alcoholism. You're completely out to lunch to think it will.

What was happening in the NHL should have nothing to do with the AHL. If they are making the same mistakes in the AHL, why would you put them in an even tougher position? Look how it's worked out, all of them are struggling.

And how about trying to discuss it and not resort to insults, the out to lunch, deer in headlights. I watched these guys play just about every game in the AHL. I offer my opinions, don't agree that's fine but don't try to make it sound like your opinion is better cause you disagree.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
true we don't know what other moves could be in the works. As much as I can't stand Lefebvre, he's actually done a good job with McCarron. McCarron went through a long stretch where he really struggled to produce yet he never took him off the top 2 lines and only once did he move him away from center (off the top of my head) plus he always put him out there on the PP and PK so no matter how he played he got the quality ice.

Although I can't say the same for how he's handled Scherbak. Starting him on the 3rd line, moving him to center when he just getting back from being out. Moving him around the lineup from RW to C to LW. Tonight he puts him on a line with Friberg and Dumont, not the biggest issue since they are good in their own end, but why not put McCarron there and put Scherbak with Hudon and Holloway. I know that Scherbak needs to get stronger but to me he should be playing with the most skilled players.

Well that's not very surprising. If Lefebvre is anything like Therrien, his hatred of skilled player should explain how he sticks with McCarron (which is a good thing) and why Scherback seems to get the short end of the stick most of the time (which is a rather bad thing, seeing as he's our most offensively skilled prospect).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What was happening in the NHL should have nothing to do with the AHL. If they are making the same mistakes in the AHL, why would you put them in an even tougher position? Look how it's worked out, all of them are struggling.
Beaulieu is doing real well. He's been solidifed as a top-4 dman.
Leblanc was doing real well in the NHL, his problems began in the AHL under Lefebvre.
Tinordi was doing real well as well. Not sure what happened there, could be the injuries.

You can't wait until a player makes no mistakes, that never comes and it shouldn't actually.

And how about trying to discuss it and not resort to insults, the out to lunch, deer in headlights. I watched these guys play just about every game in the AHL. I offer my opinions, don't agree that's fine but don't try to make it sound like your opinion is better cause you disagree.
All right.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
What does Hudon have to do?

Therrien is so good with player development, and the Habs have a great game plan when it comes to developing players.

The strategy is:

1. Decide the prospect's future role with the team.
2. Never play that prospect in that role, and instead play them in a role that is totally unsuited to their abilities.
3. Overplay the depreciating veteran that currently occupies that role.
4. Finally thrust that prospect into that role ONLY when the veteran leaves/is traded.
5. Expect the prospect to thrive in this role that they were never fully prepared for.
6. Bench the prospect when they inevitably struggle/demote them to the AHL if they succeed.

See N. Beaulieu, A. Galchenyuk, S. Andrighetto, G. Pateryn etc. for reference. Hudon should expect the same development plan.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Oh and Galchenyuk and Gallagher? Every player is different, we just fixate on the negative.

Thanks for saying it. Folks are depressing to read. Never a good thing happening. Montreal management is just a hodge lodge of the world's biggest morons according to some...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ellis was very highly touted by a lot of scouts coming out of junior.

I had high hopes for him and Dietz.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
and Tinordi at 20, Beaulieu at 20, Leblanc at 20. It's certainly worked out in the past. :shakehead

I've seen almost every game he's played in the AHL and he's just starting to get back on track. He went 17 games without a goal despite playing on the top line and top PP unit. Since then he's got 2 in the last 9 games, or 2 goals in last 26 games. He got off to a really great start with 20 pts in 21 games and now he's had 14 pts in 33 games.

Scratch the first 26 games... 14 in 33 for a rookie pro is still decent... my opinion is... if he plays a regular shift (10/13mins. per game) he would be better off playin in the nhl... blablah therrien... blablah lefebvre... at this point in his career you want him hungry as f***... just give him a chance and let's see... (side note, i'm very scared that he feels he's supposed to be THE goon... we need help in that department)

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Guys, i am confused ??

Do this organisation hate the young or do they rush him to the NHL too early??

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
McCarron was absolutely not supposed to.be called up. They may be afraid Hudon steals dd job cut they know he.can

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
I am so happy for Ellis. He could have given up long time ago when he spent lots of time in the ECHL.

I watched him play in Shawinigan when they won the Cup there. He was better than Brandon Gormley in my view.

He worked his ass off and it finally paid off. Props to the guy.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Trade Eller and call up Hudon/Holloway:
Pacioretty - Plekanec - McCarron
Hudon - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Danault - DLR - Andrighetto
Byron - Mitchell - Holloway/DSP/Lessio

Trade Markov, callup Dietz:
Emelin - Subban
Barberio - Pateryn
Bartley - Ellis/Dietz