Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I've broken a nose, a rib and an index finger and didn't know it happened at the time lol.

On the other hand (no pun intended) once I had a fingernail ripped bad down the middle and I screamed like a woman for an hour.

Should have just ripped it off. That’s what I did. Like a bandaid.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where somebody has had the puck in center ice/path to the net and passed it and went backwards to hit somebody. Oshie created that whole scenario to take a cheap shot at Miller because he felt like Miller just made one a few plays before. You Capitals fans know it and anybody saying otherwise is delusional. He wasn't bracing for a hit. He created that whole situation to hit somebody without the puck. It's interference.
You were doing okay until that last phrase. Then you blew it, as usual. Keep on keepin on though.

It was an aggressive play, it wasn’t a cheap shot and it wasn’t a penalty. It’s arguable Miller and Oshie both had a 50:50 puck at that point and both players could have hit each other, Oshie was just prepared and Miller wasn’t, happens frequently, is never a penalty. Get over it, unbunch your knickers, and breathe a little.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Have you ever broken your nose?
I have, I outlined the experience earlier in the thread.

I was 7 playing capture the flag. I was headbutted, but still managed to carry the flag over the line while flexing causing my t-shirt sleeves to explode off.

Don't think it matters if I could take the pain... I am not trying to stop other large men from scoring. World class athletes should just be held to a higher standard than an overweight 31 year old house cat from Northern VA.

Second manly feat... the other day my 1 year old son kicked me in the balls while walking down the steps..... you better believe I finished the stairs and placed him on the ground before collapsing.

Score

LegendaryNumber5: 1
Miller:0

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where somebody has had the puck in center ice/path to the net and passed it and went backwards to hit somebody. Oshie created that whole scenario to take a cheap shot at Miller because he felt like Miller just made one a few plays before. You Capitals fans know it and anybody saying otherwise is delusional. He wasn't bracing for a hit. He created that whole situation to hit somebody without the puck. It's interference.

Any casual and objective reader of your post history would likely agree that you are one of the last people around here that should call anyone else delusional.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Odd double standard.

HF is full of snowflakes when it comes to borderline hits yet a dude breaks his nose and he dove because wasnt able to get back in the play.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Counter hit is not interference, lol. That's like saying a hit after someone passes the puck is interference, i.e. Miller going in for the hit was interference.
Miller never had possession of the puck and the hit wasn't in the context of a battle for puck possession or position. This it was indeed interference. It just never gets called.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So, in summary, the consensus [minus one obvious poster] is that the hit was legal, the outcome unfortunate, but no dive on the part of Miller. As someone who has broken his nose, and who isn't looking for internet testosterone glory, it hurt like $#@#. I don't think he flopped.
I’m always looking for that, judging by the litany of pop-ups I get from this site in particular but also CNN, ESPN, TSN. I think the N at the end of these acronyms actually stands for TestosteroNe.

smd333

May 2, 2012
Miller never had possession of the puck and the hit wasn't in the context of a battle for puck possession or position. This it was indeed interference. It just never gets called.
lol if you keep repeating it it never becomes true. Not interference.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Miller was hacking at the puck and/or Oshie's stick before/just as Oshie passes. The hit comes well before another second ticks off the clock. That's still possession and Miller's actions constitute an attempt at battling for the puck.

I do agree that there are similar circumstances in which interference is legitimately in play. The most common is two guys going for a loose puck that neither had possession of and one, 4-5 feet from it, decides to ignore the puck altogether and knock the other guy out of the way. That's interference that never gets called and it's absolutely frustrating.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

At least somebody gets it. People are really trying to defend an offensive players hit on a defensive player. That's what it really boils down to. Caps fans just like making up new rules as they learn the game.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He unsuspectingly got his nose broken, most players don't pull up and reverse hit in that situation, they drive to the net.....it's called being disoriented.

Here's the thing, I think you're right at first.

But there's also a weird moment where Miller looks like he's about to straighten up, shake it off, and get back into the play, and then he just... doesn't. He hesitates and hunches back over, and then Washington scores. Maybe it just hurts a lot more, who's to say, but it looks strange. I think that while his pain is obviously a real factor he decides consciously to quit on that play as well, and it's that part of the sequence that is causing people to call him out (even with a real injury).

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Where in the rule book does it say the player with the puck cannot initiate contact? If he is eligible to be hit, why isn’t he eligible to hit?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
It was interference, just as Neal's hit on Orpik was interference. Refs didn't call the latter, so the former went uncalled, too.

Where in the rule book does it say the player with the puck cannot initiate contact? If he is eligible to be hit, why isn’t he eligible to hit?

Well, the rules state pretty clearly you can only legally hit the puck-carrier. Logically, if the player with the puck is in possession, by the letter, no other player could be considered a legal target (as no other player would have possession).

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
To the poster saying this was a deliberate cheap shot... it was 4 on 4 hockey. Oshie knew he didn’t have the speed to make a legit scoring play with the 2 on 2 rush.. so what is more important at 4 on 4? Possession. So he held up and waited for support. Passed it to backstrom and made a legal check as he was still elibgle to be hit himself..

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
To the poster saying this was a deliberate cheap shot... it was 4 on 4 hockey. Oshie knew he didn’t have the speed to make a legit scoring play with the 2 on 2 rush.. so what is more important at 4 on 4? Possession. So he held up and waited for support. Passed it to backstrom and made a legal check as he was still elibgle to be hit himself..

Sorry. He had a one on one wth no speed and a back checker on him. He pulled up to wait for support. It happens ALL THE TIME. Oshie is eligible to be hit. He knows that. So he lays a hit himself. Shame on miller for not reading the play better.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I've broken a nose, a rib and an index finger and didn't know it happened at the time lol.

On the other hand (no pun intended) once I had a fingernail ripped bad down the middle and I screamed like a woman for an hour.
tenor.gif

Unless you're trying to say you didn't know those things were broken until later but still felt the pain of whatever impact caused your fractures. There is no breaking your nose without accompanying pain unless you literally have no nerve endings in that area.

And I had the nail thing happen too. Metal door was somehow just high enough to fit over my 6 year old big toe but not higher than the toenail. Door opened and ripped the nail almost off except that it was held at the base. My dad finished it off and it was the worst.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad