Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Elbow comes nowhere near Miller's face.... what is annoying as **** is even after the replays Pierre insists Miller was elbowed.

Why are the NBC announcers afraid to call out dives?

So wait. Dude broke his nose on a play and you are asking NBC to call out a dive? It may not have been an elbow, but to call someone breaking their nose a dive is ridiculous.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
So wait. Dude broke his nose on a play and you are asking NBC to call out a dive? It may not have been an elbow, but to call someone breaking their nose a dive is ridiculous.

Yea... sorry but for me he was absolutely trying to sell it. No need to flop around the ice like that.

I mean it wasn't just that play though. I am really talking in general.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Yea... sorry but for me he was absolutely trying to sell it. No need to flop around the ice like that.

I mean it wasn't just that play though. I am really talking in general.

I just watched it again, he didn't "flop around on the ice." He grabbed his face and bent over, which is a pretty natural reaction to do when being clocked in the face causing a broken nose, especially by an unexpected hit the way Oshie hit him. To call that a dive? wow.. just wow

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Strangely I can see both of your points here.

The play was an unfortunate sequence and I’m not sure what the correct sequence is. Oshie knew what he was doing and Miller was unsuspecting. However, Oshie’s helmet clearly caught Miller (not the elbow or even the shoulder) so it’s clearly not a penalty. I do think Miller sold it even though he obviously got hit. I don’t think the refs should have blown the play dead while Washington had possession so ultimately I think everything evened out, just a bad break for Vegas.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Oh stop it. He really was hurting. That had to hurt. It's not faking if the nose is broken.

It wasn't an elbow though. Miller came in for a hit and he got counter hit instead. Oshie does that quite well.
I originally thought it was a dive, but it's pretty clear an injury that resulted from a clean play. The counter-hit was completely clean, square to the chest. Because of Miller's position, Oshie's helmet hit him on the nose. Same thing happened to Carlson the round before, he got hit squarely in the head by a helmet, and nothing came of it

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Strangely I can see both of your points here.

The play was an unfortunate sequence and I’m not sure what the correct sequence is. Oshie knew what he was doing and Miller was unsuspecting. However, Oshie’s helmet clearly caught Miller (not the elbow or even the shoulder) so it’s clearly not a penalty. I do think Miller sold it even though he obviously got hit. I don’t think the refs should have blown the play dead while Washington had possession so ultimately I think everything evened out, just a bad break for Vegas.

I don't understand how you can even say he sold it. He was focused on the puck (not even going for a hit mind you) and he gets reversed hit by Oshie unsuspectedly. I'm not saying what Oshie was wrong, but when you get hit in the face unsuspectedly like that thats a clear natural reaction. You can also see he then tried to get back in the play after, but by that time the goal was already scored, so he hunched over again to check himself out. None of that was selling.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I don't understand how you can even say he sold it. He was focused on the puck (not even going for a hit mind you) and he gets reversed hit by Oshie unsuspectedly. I'm not saying what Oshie was wrong, but when you get hit in the face unsuspectedly like that thats a clear natural reaction. You can also see he then tried to get back in the play after, but by that time the goal was already scored, so he hunched over again to check himself out. None of that was selling.
Agree to disagree. Watching the rest of Miller’s antics beginning with his knee-on-knee earlier in the game through multiple incidents bookending this sequence with Oshie it was clear he was trying to play a different game than everyone else by trying to draw penalties after being made to look the fool, it didn’t work and he’d be better served playing by instinct and ability rather than reaction and theatre.

Reactions: Heath

Oster

Jun 3, 2006
South Carolina, USA
I'm sure breaking your nose sucks and is not something I would just skate away from without going down - but I also wouldn't have the presence of mind to turn around and keep watching the play until a goal was scored before I went down.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle and I'm sure it did hurt but I also believe he really thought he was going to get a call there and made an extra show of it to make sure. Unfortunately for the Knights they've sold a few too many calls in this series so far for the refs to be buying much of what they're selling anymore.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I’ve seen multiple people, including myself, have noses almost smashed flat that had less of a reaction than Miller. Not saying you won’t react but laying on the ice to the point of a ref blowing the whistle is pushing it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Counter hit is not interference, lol. That's like saying a hit after someone passes the puck is interference, i.e. Miller going in for the hit was interference.
I said technically. What rule allows Oshie to do that? You can compete for space with body position but Oshie threw a check. Miller was not eligible to be hit. (again though, it's never called)

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Counter hit was technically interference, but never gets called. Oshie meant to get him but likely not helmet butt him.

What?? In what world is that possible? The puck carrier is allowed to deliver and/or protect himself from a hit and keep the puck. It's not like he was out there stiff arming people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad