Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
For the few who are fooled by this because they don't understand the game...this is Sid not over pursuing. He has no play on the puck carrier from the start of the gif...and yes, he is aware of what's behind him.

BnmWy56.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Dude should try not to smash his face in to a hard object like a helmet next time he laces em up.

Forsberg made a career out of this exact kind of hit.

Reactions: LiveeviL

smd333

May 2, 2012
I seriously cannot believe these Pens fans arguing that Oshie deserves a penalty here for bracing for a hit as he delivers a drop pass. Not only deserves a penalty but that it’s dirty lol. It’s like an alternate universe where they just repeat things over and over until it’s true.

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
For the few who are fooled by this because they don't understand the game...this is Sid not over pursuing. He has no play on the puck carrier from the start of the gif...and yes, he is aware of what's behind him.

Obviously. I mean look at all those players nowhere within 20 feet of him that he's paying attention to with the eyes that are in the back of his helmet. I'm astonished at that exceptional positioning and magical stick work to keep the entire team away from chasing down the guy who's clearly schooling the defense there. I could go on all day but situational awareness of this magnitude is just breathless in it's magnificence.

Seriously though, Caps fans get this. Hounded by the Ovechkin version of this which only looks bad because it's slowed down to 1/6th speed. BUT sometimes hyperbole is fun.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

If he had been moving his feet that lane to the right wouldn't have stayed open enough to waltz through.

Reactions: Drakon

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Reputations are earned. Right now the VGK rep is that they will dive when any contact is even remotely close. If you want minds to change about this you better hope your team stops flopping all over the place.

The flopping may well stop on Thursday night. Right around the time the final whistle is blown :)

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah, I played my whole life and D1. You apparently never have. I already broke this down last night. Bracing yourself along the boards for a hit which all 3 of this clips are is totally different. Somebody who has a clear path to the net dropping it so they can go backwards, shoulder up to hit the guy backchecking him isn't a hockey play. Nobody backchecking in that situation would expect that or be able to protect themselves. He was in no threat to be hit by Miller in that play and he purposely went out of his way to hit Miller who doesn't have the puck. It's dirty and at the very least interference. But I wouldn't expect you or any Caps fan to understand this.
Listen up, as a former Navy SEAL... oh wait, is this not one of those copy-pasta things? Wait, this was a sincere post? Bwahahaha

Okay Hobey Baker, literally all three of those plays happen with players stopping and stepping back into a player bearing down on them, the positioning on the ice is irrelevant. A counter check or reverse hit is perfectly legal and that's why none of the aforementioned plays were remotely penalized. As the puck carrier you are entitled to issuing the same amount of hit as the guy driving in on you as he is to you.

To quote Ryan Whitney "That is not a penalty, that has never been a penalty, that's not even a penalty in the preseason." So why you might have scrapped the ice at Aliquippa South East Community Dental College I have several form NHL players (like guys that played in the league, nottttttttta big deal) that disrespectfully disagree.

smd333

May 2, 2012
A counter check or reverse hit is perfectly legal and that's why none of the aforementioned plays were remotely penalized. As the puck carrier you are entitled to issuing the same amount of hit as the guy driving in on you as he is to you.
But he's a pens fan so if he keeps repeating the lie that it's dirty he will get people to believe him. I want to say this is new to the Sullivan regime but it's not. Been happening since Lemeiuzx was complaining about calls. Now we have a second generation of them coming on.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I just watched it again, he didn't "flop around on the ice." He grabbed his face and bent over, which is a pretty natural reaction to do when being clocked in the face causing a broken nose, especially by an unexpected hit the way Oshie hit him. To call that a dive? wow.. just wow
I wouldn't call it a dive but I wouldn't call it a penalty either. Just an unfortunate incident.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If he had been moving his feet that lane to the right wouldn't have stayed open enough to waltz through.
Sid didn't have a play on him. He's at the speed he wants to be and doesn't want to over pursue at that point. The speed he has is enough to get him to high slot about a second into the gif even though the gif is slowed down. Sid had no play on the puck carrier, nor did he want a weak or illegal one if that was possible.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Guess he should have been aware of what’s in front of him. Some good stuff going on there.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
This is so dirty. I don't even know where to begin. He had a path to the net. No forechecker would see this coming. It's like being on a breakaway pushing the puck forward, going backwards, and shoulder up to deck the guy trailing. Miller doesn't have the puck or in position to hit him. This is interference all day.
A player defending himself from a hit is not really dirty, considering many hits are made to hurt and not just seperate the puck from the carrier. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I'll just leave it at this. You'll have a very short and terrible hockey career if you operate under the belief that when you have the puck you have to be strictly a recipient of hits and accept that. The best offensive players are making extra moves to maintain control of the puck. If you accept that as a puck holder you

I was explaining to my wife how brilliant Kuznetsov's leg kick to his opponents stick is, it's just a small thing but it makes life difficult for defenders. Again, he's a successful offensive player because he's not passive when a defender comes bearing down on him. Nick Backstrom is another player who is great at this.

Like I said earlier, as the puck carrier you're entitled to defend the ice around you and in front of you just as much as the defender is entitled to it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Yeah, I played my whole life and D1. You apparently never have. I already broke this down last night. Bracing yourself along the boards for a hit which all 3 of this clips are is totally different. Somebody who has a clear path to the net dropping it so they can go backwards, shoulder up to hit the guy backchecking him isn't a hockey play. Nobody backchecking in that situation would expect that or be able to protect themselves. He was in no threat to be hit by Miller in that play and he purposely went out of his way to hit Miller who doesn't have the puck. It's dirty and at the very least interference. But I wouldn't expect you or any Caps fan to understand this.
When you were in college did you major in being a crybaby whiner? If so, it seems you have your masters.

Btw, I played D1 too - and you obviously have no idea that this is a normal/defensive position play. No penalty. Never gets called. Miller got the bad end of the hit he went into.

For someone who used to play hockey I have no idea how you ever made it to the D1 level when you complain about reverse hits like this. You know hockey is for tough guys, right? You seem like the guy who would argue for a penalty if someone breathed on you.

Also, there’s a astronomical difference between college and the NHL - so just because you played college doesn’t mean you know any more than a lot of NHL fans. That’s a dumb argument to have.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I've broken a nose, a rib and an index finger and didn't know it happened at the time lol.

On the other hand (no pun intended) once I had a fingernail ripped bad down the middle and I screamed like a woman for an hour.

Nice, broken nose without eyes watering up and suffering debilitating pain. You're a man's man!

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's not really a "reverse hit" Players are bracing for hits and even moving forward a little bit now and winning the hit. But what the Capitals started the other night is some next level stuff. I can't wait to watch somebody on a breakaway just decide to push the puck forward in the corner and lunge backwards and just completely decimate the poor guy trying to backcheck with his head down. Big boy hockey.
Hey, if someone wants to lean forward, backwards, side to side, or whatever else - they can brace for the hit in whatever direction they want.

Miller went after Oshie and Oshie didn’t elbow, high stick, or interfere. He braced for the hit towards Miller (because Oshie is stronger and has more leverage on his skates) and Oshie won the hit on Miller.

Simple as that. You are allowed to brace for impact any which way you want.... that’s Something hockey players know on any level when there’s hitting.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Strangely I can see both of your points here.

The play was an unfortunate sequence and I’m not sure what the correct sequence is. Oshie knew what he was doing and Miller was unsuspecting. However, Oshie’s helmet clearly caught Miller (not the elbow or even the shoulder) so it’s clearly not a penalty. I do think Miller sold it even though he obviously got hit. I don’t think the refs should have blown the play dead while Washington had possession so ultimately I think everything evened out, just a bad break for Vegas.

It happened to Brett Connolly as well as a rookie. The play won’t be blown dead until Vegas gets possession or the next stoppage in play unless a player is in peril. The next stoppage though was a Michal Kempny goal.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Listen up, as a former Navy SEAL... oh wait, is this not one of those copy-pasta things? Wait, this was a sincere post? Bwahahaha

Okay Hobey Baker, literally all three of those plays happen with players stopping and stepping back into a player bearing down on them, the positioning on the ice is irrelevant. A counter check or reverse hit is perfectly legal and that's why none of the aforementioned plays were remotely penalized. As the puck carrier you are entitled to issuing the same amount of hit as the guy driving in on you as he is to you.

To quote Ryan Whitney "That is not a penalty, that has never been a penalty, that's not even a penalty in the preseason." So why you might have scrapped the ice at Aliquippa South East Community Dental College I have several form NHL players (like guys that played in the league, nottttttttta big deal) that disrespectfully disagree.

When you were in college did you major in being a crybaby whiner? If so, it seems you have your masters.

Btw, I played D1 too - and you obviously have no idea that this is a normal/defensive position play. No penalty. Never gets called. Miller got the bad end of the hit he went into.

For someone who used to play hockey I have no idea how you ever made it to the D1 level when you complain about reverse hits like this. You know hockey is for tough guys, right? You seem like the guy who would argue for a penalty if someone breathed on you.

Also, there’s a astronomical difference between college and the NHL - so just because you played college doesn’t mean you know any more than a lot of NHL fans. That’s a dumb argument to have.

I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where somebody has had the puck in center ice/path to the net and passed it and went backwards to hit somebody. Oshie created that whole scenario to take a cheap shot at Miller because he felt like Miller just made one a few plays before. You Capitals fans know it and anybody saying otherwise is delusional. He wasn't bracing for a hit. He created that whole situation to hit somebody without the puck. It's interference.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I'm still waiting for somebody to show me where somebody has had the puck in center ice/path to the net and passed it and went backwards to hit somebody. Oshie created that whole scenario to take a cheap shot at Miller because he felt like Miller just made one a few plays before. You Capitals fans know it and anybody saying otherwise is delusional. He wasn't bracing for a hit. He created that whole situation to hit somebody without the puck. It's interference.
Pretty sure he created the whole situation to give Backstrom the puck unimpeded, but that's just my eye balls telling me that and the resulting goal.

Also the puck is literally next to Oshie's right skate the moment he begins to drop and initiate the hit. Your issue isn't that Oshie made the hit, it's that Oshie made no effort to recover the puck after making a drop, to you and your Hate-Colored spectacles that constitutes as interference, but it's not. Watch the play again, Oshie drops the puck through his legs and then turns into Miller to make a hit. If Oshie continues to turn and skate towards this loose puck you would (hopefully if you were reasonable) say that is not interference as the puck now is in front of Oshie and he is pursuing it. But because it was a drop pass and Backstrom picks up the puck you're calling foul.

Watching you spin through mental gymnastics to explain how the checks near the boards are not comparable to this one were really evidence enough if anyone wasn't familiar with your clear bias. This is a clean hockey play. The NHL thought so, NHL players thought so, the majority of this board thinks so.

Reactions: nothingbeatshockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad