Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I forgot I'm talking to people who've never played hockey. I'm seeing terms like "counter hit" "reverse hit" I was told an offensive player has .6 seconds to hit a defensive player. Holy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Oshie stood into it and Miller's face collided with his helmet. Nothing wrong with it, sorry 'bout your luck.

If Vegas wants benefit of the doubt on plays like these they should stop flopping and diving all over the ice.

Nothing wrong with Oshies play at all, but I don't think Miller was trying to "sell" anything there either. That would be awfully hard not to react like that and keep playing when your nose was just broken.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
I forgot I'm talking to people who've never played hockey. I'm seeing terms like "counter hit" "reverse hit" I was told an offensive player has .6 seconds to hit a defensive player. Holy.

So everybody on this board is wrong and all the NHL media is wrong, but southgeorge is right.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Miller was trying to hit oshie but got more butthurt than you did. Most here played hockey at some level. Keep being dismissive though. It's helping your inane point here: Oshie needed to lay down and take a hit because that's the brand of hockey you played. Anything oshie does to lean into the hit is interference, because Miller wasn't hitting him, even though the only reason there's contact is Miller skates into oshie.

You can keep crying about this play, but oshie is allowed to meet the check with his shoulder.

Reactions: Neil Racki

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

I think you are wasting your breath in this thread. You will not fix this huge problem until you inform all of the NHL referees that they have been calling these plays wrong for decades.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I think you are wasting your breath in this thread. You will not fix this huge problem until you inform all of the NHL referees that they have been calling these plays wrong for decades.

Can you show me other clips where they have allowed this in open ice from offensive player? I know around the boards they have allowed them to brace/even move forward a bit to initiate contact to protect themselves from getting killed into the boards.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Can you show me other clips where they have allowed this in open ice from offensive player? I know around the boards they have allowed them to brace/even move forward a bit to initiate contact to protect themselves from getting killed into the boards.

I think we have enough to make a few conclusions:
  • You have found some Youtube clips with this kind of hit
  • The ones you saw showed hits along the boards
  • Those plays weren't called
  • You "know" that it's just an exception to the rule because of the boards. What else could it be?
Are all these posts because you could not find the right Youtube clips?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
People complaining about this hit... it happens a lot. If Miller doesn’t face plant Oshies helmet and break his nose, or if a goal hadn’t followed, nobody would be upset about it.

Even if it’s illegal... illegal rough stuff is constantly let go... Miller has been getting into it with Oshie all series and hasn’t exactly stayed perfectly legal himself. Non issue

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Why can't a player protect himself in open ice? What's so different between this happening along the boards and by the dots?

I'd like to see a clip of a player penalized for this in open ice since you're so adamant it's illegal.

Reactions: Chips

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
I said technically. What rule allows Oshie to do that? You can compete for space with body position but Oshie threw a check. Miller was not eligible to be hit. (again though, it's never called)

I fail to see how a counter-hit is interference. If you're eligible to be hit, you're also eligible to react and counter the hit coming at you. It's the same principle as self-defense using like force off the ice.

Reactions: Chips

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I had no problem with the hit. Didn't think it should've been a penalty. I watched the game with no sound and moved on from it immediately. That there is a huge thread on HF does not surprise me.....
It's just two people being stubborn and others taking the bait (me included) because two days in between games is too long.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Why can't a player protect himself in open ice? What's so different between this happening along the boards and by the dots?

I'd like to see a clip of a player penalized for this in open ice since you're so adamant it's illegal.

Because the game is intended for only the person with the puck to be hit. It's pretty simple. Over the years they have allowed it along the boards because players are getting dummied and seriously injured.

There's plenty of clips of interference on youtube.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Because the game is intended for only the person with the puck to be hit. It's pretty simple. Over the years they have allowed it along the boards because players are getting dummied and seriously injured.

This is coincidentally what happens to anyone who reads your posts. Oh no it’s happening to me right now.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

Maybe back when the game was still played with a lump of coal being pushed around by ripped off tree limbs.

There are no clips of a player being penalized for a reverse hit on Youtube otherwise you would have posted some examples by now. They allow reverse hits all over the ice not just along the boards. Look at the two clips in this article as examples: WATCH: Byfuglien drops Reaves with reverse hit

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa

I can see it now.

Coach, "Ok guys, apparently the game is intended for only the person with the puck to be hit. I don't really know what that means? Oh I got it, you're allowed to hit someone without them defending themselves and bracing/countering your hit... and vice versa"

Players, "So we literally allow others to hit us if we have the puck? Just let them plow us over 3 feet from the boards? and we can't brace or defend against the hit?"

coach, "Yes, according to the games intentions. Good luck out there."

Players, "Ok so neither team will touch the puck then."

Coach, "Well you have to touch the puck to score."

Players, "but we will get annihilated and we can't do anything about it"

Coach, "well you need to score to win."

*Game goes to quadruple overtime.*

*NHL Ratings plummet.*

*HFBOARDS becomes an enjoyable place because the NHL finally disbands and no one can complain about every single Tom Wilson hit.*

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5