Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What?? In what world is that possible? The puck carrier is allowed to deliver and/or protect himself from a hit and keep the puck. It's not like he was out there stiff arming people
Setting aside the fact that Oshie had already passed it as it was immediately after:
A puck carrier can brace but not deliver a hit...technically. By technically I mean by the rule book, not in practice. Counter hitting was much less common in the past and no rule was changed to allow it.
Gallant clearly was not happy with it, though I think he would have been OK with the one Neal on Orpik.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Setting aside the fact that Oshie had already passed it as it was immediately after:
A puck carrier can brace but not deliver a hit...technically. By technically I mean by the rule book, not in practice. Counter hitting was much less common in the past and no rule was changed to allow it.
Gallant clearly was not happy with it, though I think he would have been OK with the one Neal on Orpik.
Has this ever been called on a player who counters an opponent trying to deliver a hit?

Reactions: Drakon

Homerhawk

Aug 15, 2007
Miller has been flopping and diving quite a bit this series, but I won't fault him on this one. Getting your nose broke on a helmet is an uncomfortable experience.

However, lol on the notion that it was interference on an "unsuspecting" player. Not sure how a player trying to check someone is unsuspecting of contact.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
That was great ..... Miller was rushing back on Oshie (who had the puck) with every intent on nailing him from Oshie's blindside. Miller got a nice surprise when he got absolutely wrecked. Then minutes later, he gets wrecked again by Oshie after Miller attempted to initiate contact again.. and gets up looking for a penalty. :thumbu:

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Clean hit. Just like when Backes got taken out by that hit with incidental contact with the helmet. Clean hit where parts of the head collide as a result.

Also Oshie is 100% allowed to make that hit just as much as Neal was on his reverse hit.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Golden Knights defenceman Colin Miller breaks nose in Game 4 - Sportsnet.ca

Video is right there. In no way was that interference. He held up and made drop pass .1 seconds prior, between his own legs. He doesn't change his trajectory. Miller isn't even going for the puck here. Oshie is bracing for a hit.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yea... sorry but for me he was absolutely trying to sell it. No need to flop around the ice like that.

I mean it wasn't just that play though. I am really talking in general.
Thank you for showing how sometimes even evidence isn't enough to spur the irrationality driven by negativity bias.

I bet if you broke your nose you'd soldier on without any reaction like the Olympic god you are.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Thank you for showing how sometimes even evidence isn't enough to spur the irrationality driven by negativity bias.

I bet if you broke your nose you'd soldier on without any reaction like the Olympic god you are.

Cool, so you are okay with Miller hitting his nose on Oshie's helmet and then turning to watch them skate the puck deeper and eventually scoring... rather than giving a tiny bit of effort?

Sorry... maybe it is not the popular opinion but... Miller knew he hit Oshie's helmet and tried to sell the shit out of it as an elbow.

If we are talking Olympic god feats? Yes I have broken my nose. I was 7, in summer camp, and I still captured the flag while simultaneously flexing causing my t-shirt sleeves to explode.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Cool, so you are okay with Miller hitting his nose on Oshie's helmet.... turning watching them skating the puck deeper and scoring, rather than giving a tiny bit of effort?

If we are talking Olympic god feats? Yes I have broken my nose. I was 7, in summer camp, and I still captured the flag while simultaneously flexing causing my t-shirt sleeves to explode.
I'm not here to discuss whether Miller should've kept going or whether there should've been a call. But coming here and seeing the extent of the dynamic that if something happens to a Caps player everyone screams bloody murder but if a Knights player gets hurt the same people start complaining about diving. The double standard has been and continues to be absurd. He broke his nose. Any hard contact to the nose can be painful and disorienting. I mean people get trained in self defense that if you must get in a fight, your best bet to flee is to hit someone square in the nose because doing so can inflict pain and temporarily disorient an assailant. It may be Miller's own fault but this focus on whether or not he was trying to sell it is pointless. He was hurt on the play, no penalty was called and we can't move the f*** on. I've seen a lot of ridiculous things after ten years on this site but seeing a community start to ridicule a player for feeling pain after breaking his nose is a new low.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I'm not here to discuss whether Miller should've kept going or whether there should've been a call. But coming here and seeing the extent of the dynamic that if something happens to a Caps player everyone screams bloody murder but if a Knights player gets hurt the same people start complaining about diving. The double standard has been and continues to be absurd. He broke his nose. Any hard contact to the nose can be painful and disorienting. I mean people get trained in self defense that if you must get in a fight, your best bet to flee is to hit someone square in the nose because doing so can inflict pain and temporarily disorient an assailant. It may be Miller's own fault but this focus on whether or not he was trying to sell it is pointless. He was hurt on the play, no penalty was called and we can't move the **** on. I've seen a lot of ridiculous things after ten years on this site but seeing a community start to ridicule a player for feeling pain after breaking his nose is a new low.
Sometimes your team or player is a HF favorite and other times they're the HF villain. You should know that after 10 years here.

There's no rhyme or reason in this place.

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
I'm not here to discuss whether Miller should've kept going or whether there should've been a call. But coming here and seeing the extent of the dynamic that if something happens to a Caps player everyone screams bloody murder but if a Knights player gets hurt the same people start complaining about diving. The double standard has been and continues to be absurd. He broke his nose. Any hard contact to the nose can be painful and disorienting. I mean people get trained in self defense that if you must get in a fight, your best bet to flee is to hit someone square in the nose because doing so can inflict pain and temporarily disorient an assailant. It may be Miller's own fault but this focus on whether or not he was trying to sell it is pointless. He was hurt on the play, no penalty was called and we can't move the **** on. I've seen a lot of ridiculous things after ten years on this site but seeing a community start to ridicule a player for feeling pain after breaking his nose is a new low.
Reputations are earned. Right now the VGK rep is that they will dive when any contact is even remotely close. If you want minds to change about this you better hope your team stops flopping all over the place.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Sometimes your team or player is a HF favorite and other times they're the HF villain. You should know that after 10 years here.

There's no rhyme or reason in this place.

Seems to me to be more of an echo chamber of bad takes. But at least it is a half-step above twitter, and I haven't found anywhere else to discuss hockey.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Man I am here for this hit and Neal's hit on Orpik last game.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Reputations are earned. Right now the VGK rep is that they will dive when any contact is even remotely close. If you want minds to change about this you better hope your team stops flopping all over the place.
I didn't complain once about people calling him a diver prior. But to let negativity bias somehow make it okay to chastise a player for being in pain because of an injury is f***ing pathetic.

There's nothing wrong with saying there shouldn't have been a penalty. But ridiculing Miller for "diving" is absolutely absurd. The boy who cried wolf effect doesn't matter if we have evidence there was actually an injury on the play.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Waiting for Frenchie to comment on this hit... "the league will take care of it.." :laugh:

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Miller was going at it with Oshie even in prior games. Hopefully it doesn’t escalate further between them.

Miller was embarrassing himself in his attempts to get at Oshie/the Caps and it only seemed to encourage him more. Dude needs to chill and play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad