Movies: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
4E94E4D5-742A-4A0C-A236-D9E663493626.jpeg

When I read this on Facebook I knew right away to throw critics opinions of this movie away.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

:scared:

Also remixed/arranged from the originals:

Is it weird that the fact that they've chosen to remain faithful to the iconic music is filling me with a lot of hope for this movie? Changing up the score would be one of the easiest things to do if they went in with a "we can do this better than Japan" mindset.

I think the first one showed they really cared for the character and subject material to trust them.

The monster stuff in that movie they nailed. The issue with the first movie was they switched leads with the human characters from an interesting Bryan Cranston to a boring army guy in his son.

A little more monster action and a human story focused on Cranston and Wantabe and that movie is a perfect kaiju movie.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think the first one showed they really cared for the character and subject material to trust them.

The monster stuff in that movie they nailed. The issue with the first movie was they switched leads with the human characters from an interesting Bryan Cranston to a boring army guy in his son.

A little more monster action and a human story focused on Cranston and Wantabe and that movie is a perfect kaiju movie.

The first one wasn't that bad. And I get, to an extent, why there was so little monster action. It wasn't about that. If you've ever watched the original 1954 Godzilla, it's about the same balance of 75% human activity and 25% kaiju action. I realize some of that was out of necessity for the difficulty and expense of doing suitmation (which at that point was basically uncharted territory in movie-making), but it was also meant to build up the dread and treat Godzilla as less of a giant monster to be fought and more a natural disaster/force of nature (which is a little more explicit in the Japanese cut since the US one with Raymond Burr culled all the nuclear horror allegory because it was too boring/executives didn't want to confront post WWII audiences with the reminder that a city/country being nuked in the course of the war was an ungodly horrible thing to happen)

My comment wasn't so much directed at the previous movie. It was more at the fact that this was a new crew making a bigger, popcorn-ier sequel that would be ripe for those sorts of "we can make it better" alterations, along with the fact that it's a new crew behind it, and coupled with the general result of a lot of disappointing cross-cultural adaptations from different franchises.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The first one wasn't that bad. And I get, to an extent, why there was so little monster action. It wasn't about that. If you've ever watched the original 1954 Godzilla, it's about the same balance of 75% human activity and 25% kaiju action. I realize some of that was out of necessity for the difficulty and expense of doing suitmation (which at that point was basically uncharted territory in movie-making), but it was also meant to build up the dread and treat Godzilla as less of a giant monster to be fought and more a natural disaster/force of nature (which is a little more explicit in the Japanese cut since the US one with Raymond Burr culled all the nuclear horror allegory because it was too boring/executives didn't want to confront post WWII audiences with the reminder that a city/country being nuked in the course of the war was an ungodly horrible thing to happen)

My comment wasn't so much directed at the previous movie. It was more at the fact that this was a new crew making a bigger, popcorn-ier sequel that would be ripe for those sorts of "we can make it better" alterations, along with the fact that it's a new crew behind it, and coupled with the general result of a lot of disappointing cross-cultural adaptations from different franchises.

I really liked the first one. It just could have been better, but I thought the actual Godzilla stuff showed the care for the material.

Why I have a lot of faith in this one. If Avengers wasn’t hogging so many screens still and nothing good being on the reserve seating I would go see it tonight.

They seem to get what makes these movies work and why Godzilla is awesome.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I really liked the first one. It just could have been better, but I thought the actual Godzilla stuff showed the care for the material.

Why I have a lot of faith in this one. If Avengers wasn’t hogging so many screens still and nothing good being on the reserve seating I would go see it tonight.

They seem to get what makes these movies work and why Godzilla is awesome.

I'm probably going to try and go next week while I'm visiting some relatives. I was originally going to visit a few weeks ago and we were going to see Avengers, but when everything got delayed I targeted this movie as the next possibility

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Saw it in IMAX tonight. No spoilers review boils down to a few items:

- Monster vs. Monster stuff was top-notch. Awesome scenes and action when the big guys have center stage. King Ghidorah was terrifying.
- Bradley Whitford's character was the absolute worst part of the movie for me. Just forced cringy attempts at being funny. I'll have to see if other folks liked it, because I hated every word that came from that characters mouth.
- Too much focus on human relationships that we have no connection to or reason to care for. Maybe if these guys had been in the 1st film and they built up to this I would have cared, but every human interaction scene I felt bored and just wanted them to get on with it.

I'd give it a 7.5/10. Great monster movie, but don't go in expecting Oscar-worthy writing or performances.

Reactions: CPTN71

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
IMAX is the way to go if you have one near you. I have no clue what a critic looks for in a monster movie, just unreal action.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Seeing it on Sunday and I can't wait. I lost most of my respect for critics after they panned The Orville.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
IMAX is the way to go if you have one near you. I have no clue what a critic looks for in a monster movie, just unreal action.
Well, the public gave it an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think you're right, though, critics dont have a clue how to rate a monster movie. They want top-notch acting and story writing while all I want to see is some killer CGI and monsters beat the shit out of each other. Seems like the majority of the public agrees with me.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Holy shit go watch this guys. An absolute blast of a movie. And yes, theres no oscar worthy performances or anything of course, but none needed, that's not why you want to watch it. And as others said, IMAX is the the way to go if you have it nearby.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My friends are split about 50/50 between decent and horrible.

I think I'm probably gonna end up passing.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
It was ok. Pretty sad that the theater was maybe 25% full on a Saturday afternoon.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I enjoyed it quite a bit. The human drama wasn't as irritating as I thought it would be. Ken Watanabe is a treasure and had one of the best scenes.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
20/10, the film is everything I thought It would be x100. The entire movie is a GIGANTIC love letter to the Godzilla franchise.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Disappointed. It had too many things that would only happen in a movie. Things that the writers just wrote it that way so if closed a hole in the story and moved the story along. I understand it is a monster movie but they try to make it realistic. Why have any other people in Monarch if you bring every single lead type person on every flight/mission. The same 8 people do everything. Also has everyone ever tried to solder in the pouring rain? They find the broken echo device in the rain at night in the debris of Fenway park during a titan fight in under a minute. I could've just been in a bad mood since of the 2 people next to me, one never saw the 1st one and had to have every little thing explained the entire time as well as talk on her phone and blow her nose every minute.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Best part of the movie:

Godzilla: Himself
King Ghidora: Himself
Mothra: Herself
Rhodan: Himself

And of course the tribute to Haruo Nakajima

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad