Movies: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I thought it was decent. Wish most of the fights weren't in dark, stormy settings, because that just made it a bit ugly, and less enjoyable. That was the one thing I really enjoyed about Rampage last year. Broad daylight for a large part of the climax.

Also, I can't wait for Kong and Godzilla to stop fighting next year at the end of the movie once they realize they both know someone named Mothra

I think the Mothra scenes were some of the best in the movie. Loved what they did with her.

Reactions: CamPopplestone

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Any Godzilla movie is better than no Godzilla movie, but I thought this one was dull, confusing and, like so many 3D movies of this era, dark and murky.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I hated it... the story was just way too cheesy... and not in a good way...because I actually like my cheesy movies...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
WB exects not likely happy with week 2 plunge

Godzilla falls to #4 at box office with $15.54M weekend gross a drop of 67.5% from opening weekend

Currently has grossed $78.5M in NA given its $170M budget the film is going to struggle to reach $110M-115M

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a box office dud

Foreign box offices have also been disappointing and underperforming

On top of the $170M budget its been reported that studio spent over $100M in advertising

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
That sucks I really wanted to see a film with Destoryah in it that probably doesn't happen now.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Story was cheesy as hell, but the CGI was amazing. Was also my first time sitting in a D-Box seat, which made the movie a lot better than it might have otherwise been.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Godzilla falls to #4 at box office with $15.54M weekend gross a drop of 67.5% from opening weekend

Currently has grossed $78.5M in NA given its $170M budget the film is going to struggle to reach $110M-115M

On top of the $170M budget its been reported that studio spent over $100M in advertising

It look's like Godzilla vs Kong may get pushed from its release date for possible reshoots.
Godzilla vs. Kong Possibly Delayed Till Late 2020

If KOTM didn't bring in a broader audience, I'm doubting that reshoots to GvsK can really change the fortunes for the film. You may as well play to your core audience at that point rather than invest more into it.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

They spent money on Ads? I hardly ever saw any. Honestly, they should have stuck with their original release date before Avengers and all that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This was a whole lot of fun. Human stuff was paint by the numbers, but it served its purpose though it did drag with the late melodrama.

The monster fights were awesome though, and the use of the original themes made for great fan service.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Godzilla has never really been a thing in Europe. People just don't care about it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
6/10

Great action scenes. Some neat plot thingies. Cool monsters.

The bad:

"My kids watch this so I can't be that evil! I'm also a woman and a planet lover!" she probably fumed.

"Well, we filmed the first half , but okay," the producers replied, "We will make the old white guy seem like the real villain. That's cool. You go girl and save your kid and we will make you a sad heroine you mass murderer you who made Hitler look like a minor-leaguer."

"Thanks. Then my kids will feel sorry for my character even though she slaughtered billions of people. I don't want them to not like Mom."

"Hmm, we will put in a line about you having control issues and then when the monsters go out of control and your daughter runs away you will break and become good again. You know, because of your control and mommy issues."

The male lead is an example of wooden acting. Even his running was wooden. The terrible writing didn't help. If you are going to pan to a persons face repeatedly have them say something that matters! Not just stare and wiggle an eyebrow!

They killed off the best actor of the bunch. Go figure.

Monster stuff is a ten.
Human stuff a two.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
6/10

Great action scenes. Some neat plot thingies. Cool monsters.

The bad:

"My kids watch this so I can't be that evil! I'm also a woman and a planet lover!" she probably fumed.

"Well, we filmed the first half , but okay," the producers replied, "We will make the old white guy seem like the real villain. That's cool. You go girl and save your kid and we will make you a sad heroine you mass murderer you who made Hitler look like a minor-leaguer."

"Thanks. Then my kids will feel sorry for my character even though she slaughtered billions of people. I don't want them to not like Mom."

"Hmm, we will put in a line about you having control issues and then when the monsters go out of control and your daughter runs away you will break and become good again. You know, because of your control and mommy issues."

The male lead is an example of wooden acting. Even his running was wooden. The terrible writing didn't help. If you are going to pan to a persons face repeatedly have them say something that matters! Not just stare and wiggle an eyebrow!

They killed off the best actor of the bunch. Go figure.

Monster stuff is a ten.
Human stuff a two.

Yeah that guy was so bad. All they had Millie doing is crying all the time too. The acting was just so bad you can't overlook it, wasn't even passable for a creature feature.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah that guy was so bad. All they had Millie doing is crying all the time too. The acting was just so bad you can't overlook it, wasn't even passable for a creature feature.

I thought the kid was a boy until they told us she was a girl half way through the movie.

Talk about gender confusion!

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
You're all far to harsh on the movie. It's a classic Godzilla film that was a love letter to the franchise, the production teams of the OG series, and the fanbase, both old timers and newcomers.

I'm not sure if western audiences will ever come to truly understand or care for the Godzilla franchise.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
You're all far to harsh on the movie. It's a classic Godzilla film that was a love letter to the franchise, the production teams of the OG series, and the fanbase, both old timers and newcomers.

I'm not sure if western audiences will ever come to truly understand or care for the Godzilla franchise.
Give me a 2 hr movie where only 20 minutes of it is forcused on human being characters I think it'd be universally loved. I don't really get why they have to shuv this human crap down our throats like any sane person in the world would ever do what she did thinking at some point humans would flourish again and not be completely whiped out.

Reactions: The Drop

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I have watched every single Godzilla movie since it was created. Even the other monster and Kong movies Japanese filmmakers created...

You failed in your post.

Reactions: ArchAngel55

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Any Godzilla movie is better than no Godzilla movie, but I thought this one was dull, confusing and, like so many 3D movies of this era, dark and murky.

That's a no on the first sentence. Let's put it this way, anyone who wants to see another Godzilla movie is definitely not in a place to complain about "another" Marvel movie. :laugh:

The rest of your post I agreed fully with. And I didn't even see it 3D, it was dark and murky enough on 1080p 2D. Just a confusing movie from the beginning to the end. At least Kong Skull island nailed the human parts much better and the Kong parts were in day light. 5/10.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I have watched every single Godzilla movie since it was created. Even the other monster and Kong movies Japanese filmmakers created...

You failed in your post.

Fair enough, but I would argue that Godzilla is not at all popular with mainstream audiences. Sure people know what Godzilla is, but a lot of people haven't watched the movies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

It was a valiant attempt, but it spent far too much time on the awful human stuff. It doesn't make it worse than the bad parts of the Japanese run of movies (I'm looking at you, All Monsters Attack), but it also doesn't make it much more than average in the whole. Liking the franchise doesn't mean I have to accept lower quality when I know it's capable of doing better. For as much as people ragged on the previous movie's human stuff once Bryan Cranston bought it, it was less annoying than most of the tripe they trotted out here. At least in that instance they seemed to be going more for of a tone akin to the 1954 original movie (which was far less of a creature feature than most people expect with the franchise and spent most of its time trying to build dread and terror from the perspective of humans facing down a force of nature personified as a giant radioactive monster.

That said, I still liked it more than Shin Godzilla. Hideaki Anno's nightmare-driven blood-puking tumor monster vs the most non-American Japanese-American ever was an interesting idea that completely fell flat in execution for me.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Fair enough, but I would argue that Godzilla is not at all popular with mainstream audiences. Sure people know what Godzilla is, but a lot of people haven't watched the movies.

The people in the original Godzilla movies were only there to show how useless and inconsequential they really were compared to the big guy. Until Mechagodzilla. But even then.

It was a valiant attempt, but it spent far too much time on the awful human stuff. It doesn't make it worse than the bad parts of the Japanese run of movies (I'm looking at you, All Monsters Attack), but it also doesn't make it much more than average in the whole. Liking the franchise doesn't mean I have to accept lower quality when I know it's capable of doing better. For as much as people ragged on the previous movie's human stuff once Bryan Cranston bought it, it was less annoying than most of the tripe they trotted out here. At least in that instance they seemed to be going more for of a tone akin to the 1954 original movie (which was far less of a creature feature than most people expect with the franchise and spent most of its time trying to build dread and terror from the perspective of humans facing down a force of nature personified as a giant radioactive monster.

That said, I still liked it more than Shin Godzilla. Hideaki Anno's nightmare-driven blood-puking tumor monster vs the most non-American Japanese-American ever was an interesting idea that completely fell flat in execution for me.

The greatest affront to the franchise was Chickenzilla.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Minus 'Chickenzilla', I really liked Shin Godzilla. Never would I have thought that Godzilla would make a good 'talky' movie, but Anno proved me wrong.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Minus 'Chickenzilla', I really liked Shin Godzilla. Never would I have thought that Godzilla would make a good 'talky' movie, but Anno proved me wrong.

I still haven't seen Shin Godzilla. The missing movie in my repertoire.

My Chickenzilla reference was to the Broderick abomination. Run away Godzilla run away! What? Can't catch a cab in New York? The whole Japanese army couldn't take you out? Don't worry, two American Jets will get the job done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad