Movies: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm not a big blockbuster guy but I think this is in my top 5 most anticipated movies of this year. Midsommar, The Lighthouse (if it comes out this year), Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, and this.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

:scared:

Also remixed/arranged from the originals:

Is it weird that the fact that they've chosen to remain faithful to the iconic music is filling me with a lot of hope for this movie? Changing up the score would be one of the easiest things to do if they went in with a "we can do this better than Japan" mindset.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Lets look forward. In 2020 we will see Godzilla vs King Kong. And there are also others ideas. From Wikipedia:

In September 2015, Legendary moved Kong: Skull Island from Universal to Warner Bros., which sparked media speculation that Godzilla and King Kong would appear in a film together. In October 2015, Legendary confirmed that they would unite Godzilla and King Kong in Godzilla vs. Kong, set for a May 29, 2020 release date. Legendary plans to create a shared cinematic franchise "centered around Monarch" that "brings together Godzilla and Legendary's King Kong in an ecosystem of other giant super-species, both classic and new."

Godzilla vs. Kong is scheduled to follow up on March 13, 2020. Dougherty had expressed interest in directing a Ray Harryhausen-esque prequel set during prehistoric times exploring how primitive humans survived against the Titans, humanity's first encounter with Godzilla, and how their relationship with Godzilla was christened.

Question: How big is Kong? And how big is Godzilla?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

main-qimg-b9a06d7124c3d60c1b22fa91445efd0b

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Lets look forward. In 2020 we will see Godzilla vs King Kong. And there are also others ideas. From Wikipedia:

In September 2015, Legendary moved Kong: Skull Island from Universal to Warner Bros., which sparked media speculation that Godzilla and King Kong would appear in a film together. In October 2015, Legendary confirmed that they would unite Godzilla and King Kong in Godzilla vs. Kong, set for a May 29, 2020 release date. Legendary plans to create a shared cinematic franchise "centered around Monarch" that "brings together Godzilla and Legendary's King Kong in an ecosystem of other giant super-species, both classic and new."

Godzilla vs. Kong is scheduled to follow up on March 13, 2020. Dougherty had expressed interest in directing a Ray Harryhausen-esque prequel set during prehistoric times exploring how primitive humans survived against the Titans, humanity's first encounter with Godzilla, and how their relationship with Godzilla was christened.

However, in Kong: Skull Island, John C. Reily's character says that Kong is not done growing yet - so hopefully that he has a significant growth spurt in the 40-some odd years between the movies timelines.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
However, in Kong: Skull Island, John C. Reily's character says that Kong is not done growing yet - so hopefully that he has a significant growth spurt in the 40-some odd years between the movies timelines.
His entire family had been wiped out by skullcrawlers who look like pets to Godzilla I'm not sure how they can make it look like a realistic fight at any point in that movie but who knows.

Reactions: Voight

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
His entire family had been wiped out by skullcrawlers who look like pets to Godzilla I'm not sure how they can make it look like a realistic fight at any point in that movie but who knows.

They will not fight. Kong and Godzilla will cooperate to fight against another monsters.
Producers cant afford two beloved monsters to kick their asses.

Reactions: Voight

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Pretty bad reviews but I'll take it with a grain of salt for a monster movie. Looking at different reviews, it seems like a case of good monster action but bad characters, which is a common criticism for a monster movie. While I did mind that aspect for something like Pacific Rim, I didn't mind it for Kong: Skull Island.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm on the fence. Half me is intrigued. Half of me doesn't want to feel like I wasted money seeing it in theatre.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have never looked at single RT review, or really any review in my time.

I hate when people say "nah the movie sucks, critics hated it" no offence but that is simply someones opinion. You could love a movie that your mother or cousin hated. Its all personal opinion.

Yes there are movies like Vanilla Sky & Downsizing that I think everybody hates but still.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I have never looked at single RT review, or really any review in my time.

I hate when people say "nah the movie sucks, critics hated it" no offence but that is simply someones opinion. You could love a movie that your mother or cousin hated. Its all personal opinion.

Yes there are movies like Vanilla Sky & Downsizing that I think everybody hates but still.

Yeah, I watched "Glass" last night and really liked it and it has a score in the 30%'s on RT. It's a Monster movie, it's not going to win any awards. Just mindless indulgence of explosions and hopefully decent special effects is all you can ask. I wouldn't pay to go see it though.

I like Millie too. She is obviously talented.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pretty bad reviews but I'll take it with a grain of salt for a monster movie. Looking at different reviews, it seems like a case of good monster action but bad characters, which is a common criticism for a monster movie. While I did mind that aspect for something like Pacific Rim, I didn't mind it for Kong: Skull Island.

A podcast I was listening to recently was talking about the concept of "cheap thrills"... like when you're just walking through a parking lot and decide to balance beam a curb, or you jump over the last couple of steps at the bottom of a staircase. I think of monster movies as that same exact concept, but on steroids. The acting doesn't matter. The plot barely matters. All that matters are the thrill moments and if those are well done, it's a good monster movie.

Reactions: Tuggy

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A podcast I was listening to recently was talking about the concept of "cheap thrills"... like when you're just walking through a parking lot and decide to balance beam a curb, or you jump over the last couple of steps at the bottom of a staircase. I think of monster movies as that same exact concept, but on steroids. The acting doesn't matter. The plot barely matters. All that matters are the thrill moments and if those are well done, it's a good monster movie.
I agree to an extent, but I look at it more like plot/character development being a background to the main attraction of the monsters. I'm fine with it when it's like Kong: Skull Island where it's just a bunch of blank canvas characters that are just there to guide us into/through the world and essentially be fodder for the monsters, but I do take an issue with it when it actively detracts from the movie. I think with something like Pacific Rim, they were trying to do waaaaay too much with character stuff when it was just so unbelievably uninteresting. It was almost like the movie came to a standstill when they were going through their ridiculously long training sequences or "romance" scenes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not unheard for a movie with poor critic reviews to still be good entertainment, but it's obviously much better if the critics loved it, too. There's a reason why we check the critic reviews in the first place, after all: we're hoping that they're glowing because that's usually a very positive sign. It doesn't make much sense to me to care about them when they're positive and not care about them when they're negative. What I think is more constructive than dismissing the negative reviews is using them to lower your expectations so that you're less disappointed when you actually see it and can enjoy it more for what it is.

Last edited:

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
They will not fight. Kong and Godzilla will cooperate to fight against another monsters.
Producers cant afford two beloved monsters to kick their asses.

You... Haven't seen the original King Kong vs Godzilla have you?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I agree to an extent, but I look at it more like plot/character development being a background to the main attraction of the monsters. I'm fine with it when it's like Kong: Skull Island where it's just a bunch of blank canvas characters that are just there to guide us into/through the world and essentially be fodder for the monsters, but I do take an issue with it when it actively detracts from the movie. I think with something like Pacific Rim, they were trying to do waaaaay too much with character stuff when it was just so unbelievably uninteresting. It was almost like the movie came to a standstill when they were going through their ridiculously long training sequences or "romance" scenes.

I liked Pacific Rim, so... :dunno:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

yup, sometimes you just want to shut your brain off and watch giant things punch each other.

Its why I scratch my head when people try to critique Pacific Rim like its Ben Hur. Its giant robots punching giant monsters. Grab some popcorn and have some fun

Reactions: Tuggy

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
yup, sometimes you just want to shut your brain off and watch giant things punch each other.

Its why I scratch my head when people try to critique Pacific Rim like its Ben Hur. Its giant robots punching giant monsters. Grab some popcorn and have some fun

Ben Hur is mostly known for being a decent film with a tremendous action set piece that goes down as one of the best all time, so it's not a bad standard to set for a monster movie.

I generally liked Pacific Rim, but I don't think about it much today. Given the director involved is a master at elevating genre films to a higher tier, I think it's fair to hold high expectations when he made it. When a genre film manages to succeed both at the cheap thrills, and serve as an excellently crafted film that works on other levels, it deserves the praise for doing so, and that's usually a good way to get people who don't usually watch these films to pay attention.

If you're someone who loves giant monster movies though, you don't need a critic who's adverse to them to give it a five star review.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ben Hur is mostly known for being a decent film with a tremendous action set piece that goes down as one of the best all time, so it's not a bad standard to set for a monster movie.

I generally liked Pacific Rim, but I don't think about it much today. Given the director involved is a master at elevating genre films to a higher tier, I think it's fair to hold high expectations when he made it. When a genre film manages to succeed both at the cheap thrills, and serve as an excellently crafted film that works on other levels, it deserves the praise for doing so, and that's usually a good way to get people who don't usually watch these films to pay attention.

If you're someone who loves giant monster movies though, you don't need a critic who's adverse to them to give it a five star review.

Yeah, some things are set up for certain expectations like you said. I feel like the first Jurassic World movie is somewhat negatively perceived because of this. The truth is that the Jurassic franchise has been a monster movie franchise since TRex set foot in San Diego. Or maybe slightly before that when a teenage girl uses gymnastics to defeat velociraptors. But because the first movie, and really the second until towards the end, was such a masterpiece of a sci-fi thriller, every movie in the franchise is going to be held up to it, despite the fact that it’s no longer what those movies are.

But here’s the thing. There’s good monster movies, for what they are, and there’s bad. JP3 is a meh monster movie. Jurassic World is a very good one, IMO. Fallen Kingdom is a bad one. It’s all about how the execute the thrills and the way I feel about how those three movies did it is all that determines my final opinion on them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad