Movies: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I thought the human element, plot/storyline and acting was particularly bad, even for this type of movie. But honestly, I did not even care. The scenes of the monsters were the best I have ever seen and the battles were epic. We have not seen Ghidorah, Rodan or Mothra in an American movie before and the special effects/CGI were incredible. The introduction to each character was phenomenal and Godzilla's battles with Ghidorah were worth the Imax price alone. Did not care about anything else, the movie was everything I wanted it to be.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I thought the human element, plot/storyline and acting was particularly bad, even for this type of movie. But honestly, I did not even care. The scenes of the monsters were the best I have ever seen and the battles were epic. We have not seen Ghidorah, Rodan or Mothra in an American movie before and the special effects/CGI were incredible. The introduction to each character was phenomenal and Godzilla's battles with Ghidorah were worth the Imax price alone. Did not care about anything else, the movie was everything I wanted it to be.

I could have cared less about the human characters, the Titans were the true characters of the movie.

This movie is amazing and deserves so much more praise.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There is probably about 7 or 8 shots that are really beautiful in a “boy that would make a nice desktop background” way.

Otherwise it’s pretty bad. Some truly abhorrent, immersion breaking, writing in this movie. And despite some really impressive visuals a lot of the action was a mess to watch.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
They should have gone all the way with the whole "kaiju force of nature" angle and relegated any human sub-plots to them realizing how insignificant they are. Unfortunately things like that focus test poorly, and once your film breaches a certain budget you're no longer allowed to do anything that would potentially alienate your audience and instead have to insert the self-important "this time we join the fight" stuff so the lowest common denominator in the theater can have something to relate to.

That said feel free to put Charles Dance in whatever you want, tho.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
If Gamera showed up at the end, I would have immediately given this a 10 out of 10. Not really, but I want me some Gamera.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Saw it last night. Truly awful writing but it seemed like they were purposefully hamming it up so I laughed and focused on the action. Pretty epic in that regard.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Y’all seriously expecting a Godzilla movie to have good writing and witty dialogue? They have all been straight cheese and corn dogs since maybe the first 2 and that’s a BIG maybe lmao.

Reactions: shello and Hint1k

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Y’all seriously expecting a Godzilla movie to have good writing and witty dialogue? They have all been straight cheese and corn dogs since maybe the first 2 and that’s a BIG maybe lmao.

I immediately imagined Godzilla's opening monologue: "to be or not to be..." :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Though it opened at #1 it underperformed studio expectations grossing just over $49M this weekend which is far below 2014 film and its tracking poorly compared to Kong: Skull Island at this point

The 2014 Godzilla opened with $93.1M
Kong: Skull Island opened with $61M

Studio now focusing on international box office in hopes it outperforms expectations to counter balance Domestic disappointment

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think to many people have actually sat down and watched a majority of the Toho films, including the critics and many people here. This movie was/is the epitome of all of those movies.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Thought it opened at #1 it underperformed studio expectations grossing just over $49M this weekend which is far below 2014 film and its tracking poorly compared to Kong: Skull Island at this point

The 2014 Godzilla opened with $93.1M
Kong: Skull Island opened with $61M

Studio now focusing on international box office in hopes it outperforms expectations to counter balance Domestic disappointment

Those initial estimates seem high, and I'd expect this to fall another million or so whenever the final numbers comes out.

It's really an interesting case. Judging by opinions in this thread, many of interested fans were happy to see the focus on the monsters. But, I think for general audiences, they need a strong cast of human characters to be interested.

I think back to last year, when what seems like a pretty silly monster shark movie did really well on the strength of Jason Statham. That movies ended up doing business that this film would have killed for.

If you are a fan of the Godzilla franchise, at least you got a lot of the favourite monsters in one film. I'm doubting you're seeing much of this franchise after the Godzilla v Kong film.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Saw it yesterday in IMAX.

Amazing CGI and fight scenes.

Didn't give a damn about the human storylines. (If that's what you're going for then don't bother watching it)

Very good movie overall and I would recommend it.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
If they would've cut all of the humans out of the movie and just had 15 mins of monster fighting, I still would've paid for it and would've enjoyed it 100 x's more.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Maybe it was. It still sucked though. Being the epitome of a bunch of movies made 1/2 a century ago isn't an excuse to be crappy.

It was far from a crappy movie. We can disagree on this, but I doubt you'll find any TRUE Godzilla fan that hated this movie

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kong: Skull Island showed you can balance monsters and human characters and have a very enjoyable movie

2014 Godzilla was doing alright until they switched focus to son , GF and kid and the story just went downhill as did acting at that point (Didn't help that much of the action scenes were so dark you couldn't see much as well)

Reactions: Jussi

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
It's not being heavily marketed which is weird. Most my friends didn't even know it was out.

CGI probably made up most of their budget and Godzilla has always been more of niche franchise. Maybe if it had a big name like The Rock or something to drive it to casuals.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Kong: Skull Island showed you can balance monsters and human characters and have a very enjoyable movie

2014 Godzilla was doing alright until they switched focus to son , GF and kid and the story just went downhill as did acting at that point (Didn't help that much of the action scenes were so dark you couldn't see much as well)
I've seen this criticism a bunch for this film, but it looked great to me in IMAX. Didn't have a single time when I was struggling to make anything out, or thought it too dark.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think anyone that actually saw the movie can claim it was to dark. Come'on, really guys?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I thought it was pretty good although my least favorite from this Godzilla/Kong iteration. I appreciated the more "subtle" approach of the 2014 Godzilla and the overall style of Kong. Writing and characters were bad as expected but didn't take away from the movie. I can see people rolling their eyes (quite literally every line Bradley Whitford said was eye-roll worthy) but the main point of note is that the action sequences were so frequent that it didn't matter.

As someone else said there are a lot of great "stills" in here that would make for a great wallpaper. Quite a few good set pieces and I really liked what they did with Mothra.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Godzilla 2014 was fine for me when you know, Godzilla was in the movie. I think it was what, 35 minutes before any monsters and almost an hour before the G-man showed up? I didn't need to see Scarlet Witch's husband running around the whole movie.

Now some more Elizabeth Olsen scenes would have been fine.

Haven't seen King yet. Wanted to this weekend but kids are pushing for Secret Life of Pets.

Reactions: CPTN71

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Godzilla 2014 was fine for me when you know, Godzilla was in the movie. I think it was what, 35 minutes before any monsters and almost an hour before the G-man showed up? I didn't need to see Scarlet Witch's husband running around the whole movie.

Now some more Elizabeth Olsen scenes would have been fine.

Haven't seen King yet. Wanted to this weekend but kids are pushing for Secret Life of Pets.
I watched Godzilla (2014) again last night just to compare to how I felt about this new one. Cranston absolutely killed it in that movie, and it was a shame he got killed off so early because when his character was involved I actually cared about the human/scenes interaction. In 2014 the monster battles/scenes were pretty great, and they just went to the next level with King of the Monsters. I just feel like they really took a huge step backwards with all the dialogue and acting.

Godzilla (2014)
Human Scenes: 6
Monster Scenes: 8
Overall: 7.5

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
Human Scenes: 5
Monster Scenes: 10+
Overall: 8.5

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I thought it was decent. Wish most of the fights weren't in dark, stormy settings, because that just made it a bit ugly, and less enjoyable. That was the one thing I really enjoyed about Rampage last year. Broad daylight for a large part of the climax.

Also, I can't wait for Kong and Godzilla to stop fighting next year at the end of the movie once they realize they both know someone named Mothra

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad