Movies: Godzilla: King of the Monsters

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Awesome, Millie Bobby Brown is also starring in it, her first movie...she is well on her way in becoming a superstar actress for the next few decades.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sure, I never miss one, and this one looks interesting. But, in general, if I had my druthers, I would leave Godzilla to the Japanese who do the movies in the right spirit.

Japan is not blameless when it comes to awful bastardizations of the "spirit" of Godzilla. Off the top of my head:

• Godzilla Raids Again (stupid cliche love triangle plot sandwiched around some monster fights. And this is the second movie they ever made. So they couldn't even make it to a count of 2 before going off the rails)
  • All Monsters Attack (Soulless, creatively bankrupt clipshow of a movie cross-pollinated with a saturday afternoon "very special episode" kids morality tale about a latchkey kid standing up to bullies where the morality is quite literally dispensed through giant monster fights)
  • Son of Godzilla (because "Son of ______" was a reasonably popular thing. Co-starring Scrappy-Doo if he were a doofy looking bipedal creature that can't possibly be related to Godzilla instead of a stupid little dog)
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (I'm pretty sure Godzilla wasn't even supposed to be in this movie originally, but the studio decided they liked money.)
  • Godzilla vs Megalon (Hey, kids like Ultraman, right? So let's make the "real hero" of this movie basically be Ultraman in a separate, legally distinct sort of way while also "tastefully" totally-not-ripping-off Mazinger at the same time. And also worse than Ultraman in every possible way. Also Godzilla can use his atomic breath to fly. Sure, why not.)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (what happens when you have the writing room drop acid before they churn out the script)
  • Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (we've stopped trying. As evidenced by the lazy villain being a Godzilla suit with crystals on it for no explainable reason whatsoever, and called "SpaceGodzilla" because it was time to break for lunch)
  • Godzilla: Final Wars (Godzilla if it stopped being a Godzilla movie halfway through and turned into a shameless hybrid rip-off of The Matrix and a generic Sentai show)
  • Shin Gojira (aka Godzilla Resurgence) (Godzilla through the creepy, mind-screw lens of the Evangelion guy, turning the titular character into a disproportionate tumor monster that barfs blood and shoots purple lasers out of orifices placed haphazardly all over its body for no other reason than to play up the cosmic horror angle that Anno was hellbent on re-imagining Godzilla to fill.)
That's basically 1/3rd of the Japanese canon.

I get it. Godzilla is like any other long-runner franchise is going to change and morph and be different. We live in a world where Batman has been Adam West dancing the batusi, George Clooney in a suit with nipples, Christian Bale with throat cancer, and Ben Affleck affirming his commitment to crossfit. Why can't Godzilla be serious metaphorical sci-fi, silly kids fare, and slam-bang popcorn action. But if there's a unifying "spirit" to Godzilla that Japan apparently gets, I'm not seeing it. If anything they've only "gotten" it more because a) they made the franchise and b) they have more chances to get it right on volume.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kihei may be this board's resident film expert, but he may've just met his match. No one knows more useless franchise trivia than The Nemesis... and all of the above is simply "off the top of [his] head" :amazed:.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
This looks ridiculously good. I really enjoyed the last Godzilla as well, my only complaint was I feel they underutilized Bryan Cranston.

From the looks of it, they nailed the look of King Ghidorah.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Kihei may be this board's resident film expert, but he may've just met his match. No one knows more useless franchise trivia than The Nemesis... and all of the above is simply "off the top of [his] head" :amazed:.

Actually I could give him a run for his money especially since he claims Godzilla was using his atomic breath to fly in Megalon when it was the Hedorah film that him do that. In Megalon he glides along on his tail for the mother of all dropkicks. :P

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I've watched the series a lot and I tend to be good at retaining useless trivia for the handful of things I'm interested and invested in (Godzilla, transformers, star trek, star wars)

And I still got it partially wrong. :laugh:

I liked Anno's Shin Gojira. The lasers were a bit much, but other than that everything was spot on.

I didn't like the Godzilla designs. The early form blood-barfing thing looked like a bad puppet and I didn't like the tumor monster horrific final form. I prefer my Godzilla to resemble it's usual proportions with lizardy features and useful arms, not cancersaurus rex

Actually I could give him a run for his money especially since he claims Godzilla was using his atomic breath to fly in Megalon when it was the Hedorah film that him do that. In Megalon he glides along on his tail for the mother of all dropkicks. :P

Dammit that's right. I knew he did something dumb in Megalon and just assumed it was the flight trick because that was bottom of the barrel and would fit with the rest of that hokey, terrible movie. I forgot about the ridiculous flying drop kick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Meh

I was a bit disappointed by Godzilla from a few years back and this trailer did nothing to change that

We shall see but overall outside of Kong: Skull Island I have been underwhelmed by recent films such as King Kong , Godzilla and the awful Pacific Rim films

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Megalon is sick. Hope he makes an appearance.

Megalon is terrible. Its body looked like they just dragged a poncho through the mud and slapped it on the actor.

There are at least a half dozen better and more interesting monsters besides the 3 that will be in this movie that I'd want before Megalon.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Megalon is terrible. Its body looked like they just dragged a poncho through the mud and slapped it on the actor.

There are at least a half dozen better and more interesting monsters besides the 3 that will be in this movie that I'd want before Megalon.

None of which have drills for hands.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
None of which have drills for hands.

Gigan has scythe hands and a buzzsaw in his chest. Instantly better.

Mogura has drill hands, though it wouldn't appear on the list of better monsters.

Monsters I would rather see than Megalon (in no particular order, and excluding Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah):

Anguirus
Gigan
Mechagodzilla (the alien-controlled fake-Godzilla version from the older movies, not the new-era anti-Godzilla piloted mecha verison)
Biollante
King Ceasar
Orga
Destroyah

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Gigan has scythe hands and a buzzsaw in his chest. Instantly better.

Mogura has drill hands, though it wouldn't appear on the list of better monsters.

Monsters I would rather see than Megalon (in no particular order, and excluding Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah):

Anguirus
Gigan
Mechagodzilla (the alien-controlled fake-Godzilla version from the older movies, not the new-era anti-Godzilla piloted mecha verison)
Biollante
King Ceasar
Orga
Destroyah
Gimme Megalon over all of those.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Japan is not blameless when it comes to awful bastardizations of the "spirit" of Godzilla. Off the top of my head:

• Godzilla Raids Again (stupid cliche love triangle plot sandwiched around some monster fights. And this is the second movie they ever made. So they couldn't even make it to a count of 2 before going off the rails)
  • All Monsters Attack (Soulless, creatively bankrupt clipshow of a movie cross-pollinated with a saturday afternoon "very special episode" kids morality tale about a latchkey kid standing up to bullies where the morality is quite literally dispensed through giant monster fights)
  • Son of Godzilla (because "Son of ______" was a reasonably popular thing. Co-starring Scrappy-Doo if he were a doofy looking bipedal creature that can't possibly be related to Godzilla instead of a stupid little dog)
  • Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (I'm pretty sure Godzilla wasn't even supposed to be in this movie originally, but the studio decided they liked money.)
  • Godzilla vs Megalon (Hey, kids like Ultraman, right? So let's make the "real hero" of this movie basically be Ultraman in a separate, legally distinct sort of way while also "tastefully" totally-not-ripping-off Mazinger at the same time. And also worse than Ultraman in every possible way. Also Godzilla can use his atomic breath to fly. Sure, why not.)
  • Godzilla vs Hedorah (what happens when you have the writing room drop acid before they churn out the script)
  • Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (we've stopped trying. As evidenced by the lazy villain being a Godzilla suit with crystals on it for no explainable reason whatsoever, and called "SpaceGodzilla" because it was time to break for lunch)
  • Godzilla: Final Wars (Godzilla if it stopped being a Godzilla movie halfway through and turned into a shameless hybrid rip-off of The Matrix and a generic Sentai show)
  • Shin Gojira (aka Godzilla Resurgence) (Godzilla through the creepy, mind-screw lens of the Evangelion guy, turning the titular character into a disproportionate tumor monster that barfs blood and shoots purple lasers out of orifices placed haphazardly all over its body for no other reason than to play up the cosmic horror angle that Anno was hellbent on re-imagining Godzilla to fill.)
That's basically 1/3rd of the Japanese canon.

I get it. Godzilla is like any other long-runner franchise is going to change and morph and be different. We live in a world where Batman has been Adam West dancing the batusi, George Clooney in a suit with nipples, Christian Bale with throat cancer, and Ben Affleck affirming his commitment to crossfit. Why can't Godzilla be serious metaphorical sci-fi, silly kids fare, and slam-bang popcorn action. But if there's a unifying "spirit" to Godzilla that Japan apparently gets, I'm not seeing it. If anything they've only "gotten" it more because a) they made the franchise and b) they have more chances to get it right on volume.
:bow::bow::bow:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Promising. But no more battles being filmed in the dark please. And let's not go an hour without Godzilla making an appearance. At least they have some classic monsters in this one. Always liked King Gidorah.

Now I know why they ridiculously super-sized Kong in Skull Island. No way KK could hang with any of these beasts.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Promising. But no more battles being filmed in the dark please. And let's not go an hour without Godzilla making an appearance. At least they have some classic monsters in this one. Always liked King Gidorah.

Now I know why they ridiculously super-sized Kong in Skull Island. No way KK could hang with any of these beasts.
They also threw in during that movie that he was still growing. Seemed like a way to make it so they can make him even bigger for when he eventually goes up against Godzilla.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I get why Godzilla took so long to show up in the last movie. They were trying to make it like the original 1954 Godzilla. That movie was, unlike the popular perception of the franchise (which was borne out by basically every movie made in the series after the first couple), a slow-burn of a movie that was meant to treat Godzilla more like a horrifying force of nature than a rampaging monster.

And yeah, pragmatically it was also because doing all that untested suitmation was difficult and expensive and they had their "if we don't show the shark/alien, it'll be scarier and save us money" moment like Ridley Scott had on Alien and Spielberg had on Jaws.

But it was also because the first movie was not about glorious kaiju smackdown. It was Ishiro Honda's ponderous meditation on the nuclear age in which the horrors of atomic science were personified in the shape if a giant lizard with radiation breath.

So yeah, I may not like that Godzilla took so long to show up (Because like everyone else, I was there for glorious kaiju smackdown even if I do really love the original Godzilla movie quite a bit.), but I understand why it was the way it was

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They also threw in during that movie that he was still growing. Seemed like a way to make it so they can make him even bigger for when he eventually goes up against Godzilla.

They're really going to be stretching that explanation to make it close. Apparently Skull Island Kong is supposed to be about 100 feet tall.

That's still about 50% shorter than the smallest incarnation of Godzilla (most versions from the Showa era movies(1954 through 1975)) and less than one-third the size of the 2014 movie version that he would presumably be matched up against.

6q43hdS.jpg

The super-ginormous 2017 version is from a set of anime films on Netflix (which I haven't seen, so don't ask). We're looking at the 2014 version that's about 3rd from the right.

vs

C4A0cv3XAAAK0sN.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
^ My god, that horrible 1998 Godzilla design sticks out like a sore thumb.

Pretty sure they made a note that the Skull Island Kong was still very young, so wouldn't be surprised to see him get over 200 feet or whatever in that 40 year gap to make it more comparable to Godzilla at 350ft. I think Kong would still work as a smaller monster though.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They're really going to be stretching that explanation to make it close. Apparently Skull Island Kong is supposed to be about 100 feet tall.

That's still about 50% shorter than the smallest incarnation of Godzilla (most versions from the Showa era movies(1954 through 1975)) and less than one-third the size of the 2014 movie version that he would presumably be matched up against.

6q43hdS.jpg

The super-ginormous 2017 version is from a set of anime films on Netflix (which I haven't seen, so don't ask). We're looking at the 2014 version that's about 3rd from the right.

vs

C4A0cv3XAAAK0sN.jpg

Yeah they'll have to take some creative license.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad