Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
While there remains a chance the Senators could get some feelers on Anderson in the trade market this summer (there was some talk the Calgary Flames kicked around the idea at the past deadline), the club’s first choice is to have the 38-year-old veteran around to help stabilize a rebuilding team. Come the trade deadline next February, however, that could change. One director of player personnel speculated Wednesday that Anderson could fetch the Senators a second- or third-round pick at next year’s trade deadline.
(Is the writing on the wall for Mike Condon after Senators...)

So, CGY was interested in Anderson at the 2019 trade deadline, and a mystery executive thinks we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Anderson at the 2020 TDL.
Could make sense. Teams don't want to spend 4 Mill on an unpredictable goalie for the entire year, but he'll be useful as an option for a playoff run.

Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Could make sense. Teams don't want to spend 4 Mill on an unpredictable goalie for the entire year, but he'll be useful as an option for a playoff run.

I think the reason why he'd fetch more at the deadline is that the goalie market becomes a sellers market in season when there just aren't many options for teams who need goalies. There's also the factor that the cap hit is lowered because a team acquiring Anderson only has to fit in his remaining cap hit at the deadline (about 1/4th of his original hit).

I would be surprised if there wasn't a market for Anderson right now. It's not a strong goalie market in terms of free agent options, and we've seen the value of tandems in this playoffs. By market, I am not saying we'll get a strong return, maybe a 3rd round pick, but I think if we wanted to we could get that for Anderson.

I don't think we want to move him though. Dorion was loud and clear that we're expected to "contend for a playoff spot". I think we want to go with what we perceive to be the strongest tandem internally (Anderson/Nilsson) rather than trying to prioritize developing Hogberg this season.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
we need to get a binnington or matt murray in the upcoming draft. both 3rd rounders. that is the sweet spot to draft goalies imo.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Really nice gesture from Andy.

craig-anderson-robin-lehner.jpg

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
After drafting "Mads" I changed my vote. Who doesn't want a Bond villain tending the twine??!! Amirite? :)

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Can we just play 2 goalies, 2 defenseman and 2 forwards. We need to do something with these goalies. Heck just plug 4 goalies in the net. No room for the puck to get in.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere but looks like we got another goalie to add to the list.

5'11 goalie? AHL contract? Not sure I get this one with Anderson, Nilsson, Gustavsson, Daccord and Hogberg not to mention wherever Condon is playing... we only have 6 goalie spots in the org with 2 at each of NHL, AHL and ECHL and now 7 guys on contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad