Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Condon starts the season with the big club with the intent to showcase and trade him.
I don't think trading him will be in the cards but i do think he starts in Ottawa if healthy. We are just going to have to eat his contract or buy it out.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Anderson starts the season but finishes 2nd-3rd of gets traded to backup a contender while we take back salary.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Really have no other choice but to play Anderson this organization is inept in grooming and developing goalies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Condon ,is a spare part that is coming off a big injury...If he can rebound get rid of him if not use hit cap number to reach the floor...Keep Andy until the TDL ,or before if we get a decent offer...He can help the kids coming up so I really dont want to just move him for the sake of moving him

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
With three goaltenders on one way contracts, I doubt Ottawa will carry all three this coming season.

Something is going to happen........... trade, buyout or LTIR.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
While there remains a chance the Senators could get some feelers on Anderson in the trade market this summer (there was some talk the Calgary Flames kicked around the idea at the past deadline), the club’s first choice is to have the 38-year-old veteran around to help stabilize a rebuilding team. Come the trade deadline next February, however, that could change. One director of player personnel speculated Wednesday that Anderson could fetch the Senators a second- or third-round pick at next year’s trade deadline.
(Is the writing on the wall for Mike Condon after Senators...)

So, CGY was interested in Anderson at the 2019 trade deadline, and a mystery executive thinks we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Anderson at the 2020 TDL.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This feels like when we dumped Bishop because of a perceived logjam and then he went on to vezina quality for a while. Hang on to everyone and let's see how it shakes out. Run with Andy/Anders until some kid breaks down the door and then trade whichever Ders gets the better return.

re: waivers, I'm not convinced Hoggy gets claimed if he goes down. He's still far from a proven NHL backup and what team (other than us) would guarantee him an NHL spot? I think I'd shop Andy around a bit in the next couple months, but unless there's a good offer on the table right now, I'd take the risk and send Hoggy down.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'd be shocked if the Sens give him a 1 way this year, but I could see something like the McCormick special. 2 year deal with a 2 way this year, 1 way next year.

Sets the Sens up to roll with Anderson/Nilsson until the deadline, bring Hogberg up, and then the second NHL job would be Hogberg's to lose in 2021 if there is a season.

The only major issue I can see with that setup is that Hogberg and Gustavsson will have to split starts in the AHL.
The Sens really need to just cut bait on Anderson and the idea that they'll get anything for him. They certainly won't this offseason given Lehner, Mrazek, Bobrovski, McElhinney, Smith, Elliott, Ward, Varlamov and Talbot are all free agents and all better options for most teams.

Then consider that in over 100 starts over the past 2 seasons Andy has a .900 sv%. He is very clearly not a NHL starter anymore and will be 38. For comparison in over 50 starts, McElhinney has a .920 sv% and he's one of the lower tier options out there for free.

There's no reason to think that he's in for a rebound year and will rebuild his value. He's going to be playing in front of the worst team in his career and his age is showing. Just cut and run. Let Hogberg get back up starts and see what he has. Open the door for Daccord and Gus in Belleville.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
A .900 save % sounds good to me this year!

Let the kids play, gain experience and lose close ones that we take the W in a couple years from now.

We have no choice but to embrace the tank and poor goaltending is something that can ensure that even if our structure and the kids have improved.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why would they do that? That's just adding salary in Anderson when they have a better goalie in Jones. That's a total waste.

Depends how desperate the Senators would be to move Anderson (or how desperately he wants to get out of Ottawa). There are certainly scenarios where San Jose can add Anderson without adding (too much) in the way of cap. Andy wouldn't be in there to replace Jones, as much as be a veteran insurance policy in place in case Jones falters again.

Anderson (50% retained) for Aaron Dell (maybe we get a small plus?)
Anderson for Aaron Dell + Melker Karlsson (maybe the team retains enough for cap hits to be even?)

If they are moving Anderson because he asked out (or at least strongly implied being open to moving) either one of these deals makes at least a little bit of sense, given the lack of options that will seriously be out there for an Andy trade.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The Sens really need to just cut bait on Anderson and the idea that they'll get anything for him. They certainly won't this offseason given Lehner, Mrazek, Bobrovski, McElhinney, Smith, Elliott, Ward, Varlamov and Talbot are all free agents and all better options for most teams.

Then consider that in over 100 starts over the past 2 seasons Andy has a .900 sv%. He is very clearly not a NHL starter anymore and will be 38. For comparison in over 50 starts, McElhinney has a .920 sv% and he's one of the lower tier options out there for free.

There's no reason to think that he's in for a rebound year and will rebuild his value. He's going to be playing in front of the worst team in his career and his age is showing. Just cut and run. Let Hogberg get back up starts and see what he has. Open the door for Daccord and Gus in Belleville.

I disagree about the goalie market. I think it's a weak one. There's a reasonable chance that Lehner, Mrazek, and Varlamov stay with their current teams. Bobrovsky won't be an option for most teams and he's strongly been linked to FLA.

I don't think we'll get a huge return for Anderson, but I could see a deal like sending him to CGY for Frolik. I think it's a moot point though, because now knowing that Hogberg is waiver exempt, I'd be surprised if there is any urgency to move Anderson. I think judging by Dorion claiming we'll "contend" for a playoff spot, that there must be either internal delusion, or internal pressure coming from Melnyk to compete with our roster so that we can sell tickets. I think the team sees Anderson as still being an NHL goalie, and signing Nilsson is a move made to give them what they perceive to be the best possible NHL tandem of Anderson/Nilsson rather than Anderson or Nilsson and Hogberg.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Depends how desperate the Senators would be to move Anderson (or how desperately he wants to get out of Ottawa). There are certainly scenarios where San Jose can add Anderson without adding (too much) in the way of cap. Andy wouldn't be in there to replace Jones, as much as be a veteran insurance policy in place in case Jones falters again.

Anderson (50% retained) for Aaron Dell (maybe we get a small plus?)
Anderson for Aaron Dell + Melker Karlsson (maybe the team retains enough for cap hits to be even?)

If they are moving Anderson because he asked out (or at least strongly implied being open to moving) either one of these deals makes at least a little bit of sense, given the lack of options that will seriously be out there for an Andy trade.
I can't see that being a viable solution for the Sharks. Someone proposed Frolik for Anderson earlier. I see that as being more plausible if Calgary were to whiff on every decent FA goalie out there.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Doesnt come with the territory to blame others when you are supposed to be a leader. On top of that he bailed on the situation as soon as it didnt go his way after the organization made him the priority in net for a long time. Passing on goaltenders that are younger and much better at this point. You would expect some sort of loyalty. He is not who I want around the room, he doesnt want to be here then get out. He has been absolutely horrible for two straight years anyway, bad player at this point with a bad attitude.

When he kept playing the puck to the other team and giving away goals I didnt see anyone ripping him or blaming him.

I dislike management as much as anyone but this time Craig Anderson is the issue.
Was Karlsson toxic to the team as well?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I can't see that being a viable solution for the Sharks. Someone proposed Frolik for Anderson earlier. I see that as being more plausible if Calgary were to whiff on every decent FA goalie out there.

I don't really think teams are lining up to take Dell or Karlsson off their hands, so they may need to get creative if they want to improve their goaltending. This all hinges on Wilson believing Anderson has enough in the tank to be an upgrade on Dell in the last years of their deals. I think the Sharks could be as good an option as any right now, considering the need for an upgrade on Dell.

Calgary strikes me as the type of team who should be swinging for the fences more. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable as a Flames fan going into the season (one which they should be trying to contend) with a combination of Rittich and Anderson. It's entirely possible I'm underselling Rittich, but I think at this stage Anderson is more of a steady veteran backup than someone who you'd want in a platoon.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

You can't say that around here. It's the team around him.

Reactions: Alex1234

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You can't say that around here. It's the team around him.
Can't it be both? Lol
I don't see any reason to ditch Andy now. The Sens need him on the payroll to make the floor. Anderson/Nilsson is the most stable option right now and hopefully by the TDL, the team is down to Nilsson/Hogberg. I think that's the best that can happen here with this owner and mgmt group.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
While there remains a chance the Senators could get some feelers on Anderson in the trade market this summer (there was some talk the Calgary Flames kicked around the idea at the past deadline), the club’s first choice is to have the 38-year-old veteran around to help stabilize a rebuilding team. Come the trade deadline next February, however, that could change. One director of player personnel speculated Wednesday that Anderson could fetch the Senators a second- or third-round pick at next year’s trade deadline.
(Is the writing on the wall for Mike Condon after Senators...)

So, CGY was interested in Anderson at the 2019 trade deadline, and a mystery executive thinks we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Anderson at the 2020 TDL.

Interesting. I wonder if we offload some of the other prospect goalies for picks.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Can't it be both? Lol
I don't see any reason to ditch Andy now. The Sens need him on the payroll to make the floor. Anderson/Nilsson is the most stable option right now and hopefully by the TDL, the team is down to Nilsson/Hogberg. I think that's the best that can happen here with this owner and mgmt group.
They can keep him on payroll by buying him out and it opens up starts for Hogberg in the NHL and Gustavsson/Daccord in the AHL. We need to prioritize our player development and clear out the logjam.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

WO8xoEk.jpg

That is not a strong goalie market.

1 - Bobrovsky is a huge commitment, strongly linked to FLA. Probably is not on the table for 99 percent of teams.
2 - Have to imagine that NYI makes a strong push for Lehner, CAR keeps one of Mrazek or McElhinney, COL has been rumoured to be interested in keeping Varlamov, and Miller apparently does not want to leave California. That takes a substantial amount of the decent goalies off the market.
3 - Who is there that actually had a better season than Anderson? I'm not trying to present Anderson as a sure fire starter, but he maintained reasonable numbers behind a putrid Ottawa team while playing 50 games. If I am right about the above guys re-signing, Elliott, Smith, Talbot, Kinkaid, Stolarz, and Ward are the big names left on that list. None had seasons as good as Anderson (not that the standard was that high), most will command more term than Anderson (although likely at a lower AAV). The only real good option I see there is Elliott.

If Anderson was a UFA, he'd be above all those guys except maybe Talbot, but that is only because whoever goes after Talbot will probably be hoping to rehab his game long term as a reclamation project, so it's more apples and oranges.

I think Ottawa will have to be willing to retain or make some cap considerations.

If Anderson does get dealt this off season, I think a big factor will be a team being able to get a goalie of a certain standard on 1 year while also possible dumping a veteran with a cap hit to Ottawa. One idea I mentioned previously was Frolik for Anderson.

With that said, I still stand by the idea that once guys like Lehner get extended, it will be evident how weak of a goalie market this is, and that if anything the market will work in Ottawa's favor if they choose to shop Anderson, not the other way around.

Although, now that I understand Hogberg is not waiver eligible, I don't think the team rushes to trade Anderson.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Keep swinging and at some point your bound to make contact I guess, lord knows this team struggles mightily developing tenders. Nilsson seems to be more of sure bet then Condon and Hammond.

As has been mentioned, this team isn't winning notta so at least you try to cheer for good people, and he certainly seems to be one! If we can dump Andy and Condon we should be in decent shape moving forward imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
This feels like when we dumped Bishop because of a perceived logjam and then he went on to vezina quality for a while. Hang on to everyone and let's see how it shakes out. Run with Andy/Anders until some kid breaks down the door and then trade whichever Ders gets the better return.

re: waivers, I'm not convinced Hoggy gets claimed if he goes down. He's still far from a proven NHL backup and what team (other than us) would guarantee him an NHL spot? I think I'd shop Andy around a bit in the next couple months, but unless there's a good offer on the table right now, I'd take the risk and send Hoggy down.
He’s exempt from waivers so no chance he gets claimed

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
WO8xoEk.jpg

That is not a strong goalie market.

1 - Bobrovsky is a huge commitment, strongly linked to FLA. Probably is not on the table for 99 percent of teams.
2 - Have to imagine that NYI makes a strong push for Lehner, CAR keeps one of Mrazek or McElhinney, COL has been rumoured to be interested in keeping Varlamov, and Miller apparently does not want to leave California. That takes a substantial amount of the decent goalies off the market.
3 - Who is there that actually had a better season than Anderson? I'm not trying to present Anderson as a sure fire starter, but he maintained reasonable numbers behind a putrid Ottawa team while playing 50 games. If I am right about the above guys re-signing, Elliott, Smith, Talbot, Kinkaid, Stolarz, and Ward are the big names left on that list. None had seasons as good as Anderson (not that the standard was that high), most will command more term than Anderson (although likely at a lower AAV). The only real good option I see there is Elliott.

If Anderson was a UFA, he'd be above all those guys except maybe Talbot, but that is only because whoever goes after Talbot will probably be hoping to rehab his game long term as a reclamation project, so it's more apples and oranges.

I think Ottawa will have to be willing to retain or make some cap considerations.

If Anderson does get dealt this off season, I think a big factor will be a team being able to get a goalie of a certain standard on 1 year while also possible dumping a veteran with a cap hit to Ottawa. One idea I mentioned previously was Frolik for Anderson.

With that said, I still stand by the idea that once guys like Lehner get extended, it will be evident how weak of a goalie market this is, and that if anything the market will work in Ottawa's favor if they choose to shop Anderson, not the other way around.

Although, now that I understand Hogberg is not waiver eligible, I don't think the team rushes to trade Anderson.
Personally, I think that group of guys you listed are mostly better options than a 38 year old Andy. I should make it clear that I think Anderson is pretty much done as a NHL goalie. Some of those guys will likely be cheaper on one year deals too.

As you said, Bob is likely going to Florida. That really takes one of the biggest players in the goalie market off it. They were 4th worst in GAA. The other top GAA were Ottawa, Chicago, Philly, Detroit, New Jersey, Edmonton, Buffalo, LA and Rangers.

How many of those teams are likely in the market for a goalie? Probably only Buffalo and Edmonton will be looking at serious options. Philly probably in the market for a backup. Sharks could look for a backup and guys like Smith and Miller will be better options.

I don't see any team desperate enough for goaltending to give us anything for Anderson. Maybe we take other bad contracts back in return but even then, why bother jamming up everything for our prospects for dead weight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad