Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
To those who are talking about PD's "contend" comment... So that means we're aiming to be a bubble team this year instead of a bottom feeder, nothing wrong with saying that. One good win streak and you can contend, look at St Louis this year. Coaching change and a kid playing out of his mind in net and they go from dead last to SCF in the same season.

On the Anderson "toxic" comments. Please be serious. If he was toxic, the team wouldn't have rallied around him the way they did when his wife was going for treatments. Also, it's a good thing that his body language shows he's upset about goals since it means he still cares.
Yes, he is getting a bit long in the tooth but I think if there's something resembling a system in front of him then he can be at a minimum a league average starter with flashes above that. Which is all we need to "contend" for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
To those who are talking about PD's "contend" comment... So that means we're aiming to be a bubble team this year instead of a bottom feeder, nothing wrong with saying that. One good win streak and you can contend, look at St Louis this year. Coaching change and a kid playing out of his mind in net and they go from dead last to SCF in the same season.

On the Anderson "toxic" comments. Please be serious. If he was toxic, the team wouldn't have rallied around him the way they did when his wife was going for treatments. Also, it's a good thing that his body language shows he's upset about goals since it means he still cares.
Yes, he is getting a bit long in the tooth but I think if there's something resembling a system in front of him then he can be at a minimum a league average starter with flashes above that. Which is all we need to "contend" for a playoff spot.
Andy has looked "checked out" here,I think he would be better on a more veteran team and most GM,s would likely know this ...Andy has faced just far far too much rubber in the past few seasons,and it seems to be wearing on him a little

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Let me know when we've got equivalents to Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Shwartz, Schenn, Pietrangelo/Parayko and actual useful veterans. The difference between THIS last place team and THAT last place are night and day. The comparisons aren't based in any kind of reality.

There is no contending for this group as currently constructed. We couldn't do it with Stone, Duchene and Dzingle in the fold and now our fortunes are suddenly going to change now that they are gone?

The Blues are a cap ceiling team who added pieces and were underperforming with a bad coach and a bad goalie before making changes at both positions. The Sens are a cap floor team who have done nothing but subtract from their roster the last two years.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Or you could make an honest assessment of your roster and its potential. We don't have anywhere near the talent that St. Louis has.

It's the cliche thing for a gm to say, but they're once again rolling out a roster fit for last place, they aren't fooling anyone. It's just like this year with his nonsense comments about winning and taking responsibility. Imagine being in that dressing room and hearing that from the guy that put together a last place team.

The result will be as predictable as this season imo, especially if we're riding Anderson. Loved his time here, but he hasn't looked good since the cup run.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Is this an argument FOR playing Hogberg over Anderson or against? If we want better than expected performances, go with younger unproven rookies over establish basement vets. Go with the option with upside.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
If Bob leave Columbus I think Andy could be a good fit for us with Korpisalo

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If one or both of Andy/Condon are gone, then I'm ok with this signing. If not, then this signing doesn't make sense.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I dont think Anderson is toxic, he's more just a little awkward. Also, i think he may say some things in front of the camera he might not think all the way through. Saying things like "I dont want anymore drama" to the media just causes more drama.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Everyone is losing their mind in here over nothing really.

No need to panic folks lol
As long as we don't lose Hogberg, nobody should care what happens with the starters in Ottawa. None of Condon, Anderson or Nilsson matter to the long term future of the team and none of them are good enough to ruin the tank.

Reactions: DJB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that they try & move Anderson at the draft & before the new NHL season gets underway in the fall. If they are unable to move Anderson by then my guess is that they will buy out Condon just before the season starts, whenever that buyout window is available to them. One or the other may stay but they should not start the season with both. IMO I think it's quite clear that neither goaltender is in the future plans of this franchise & they should try & maximize the best return possible & IMO that would be in some kind of a package that probably takes on a bad contract back. There are a number of teams who could use a veteran backup for next season if they plan a cup run & Anderson can probably play 30 to 40 games next season on a good team. And there are probably a number of those same teams that have a cap problem or bad contract that they would like to move.

Tampa with Callahan, Vegas with Clark, Edm with Lucic, Florida with Luongo, Montral with Alzner, maybe Toronto with Kadri, in Calgary Frolic wants out, Kovalchuk in LA & there could be others. Anderson alone might not be able to return a 1st but Anderson in a package that could include Ceci or other players who may not be in the team's future plans should be put together to return a 1st in this yr's draft. They may have to take on a bad contract or two but they should be fishing for these kinds of deals to increase their picks for this draft & upcoming drafts. I would also move a couple of prospects, if we could acquire another 2nd rd pick too.

Nilsson - Hogberg - Ottawa
Condon - Gustavsson - Belleville
Daccord - Brampton

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
My guess is that they try & move Anderson at the draft & before the new NHL season gets underway in the fall. If they are unable to move Anderson by then my guess is that they will buy out Condon just before the season starts, whenever that buyout window is available to them.
Condon doesn't have a high enough cap hit to be bought out in the 2nd window. He needs a cap hit of 3.3M or higher.

Buyout window for Condon is June 15-30, assuming he is healthy enough for a buyout.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Condon doesn't have a high enough cap hit to be bought out in the 2nd window. He needs a cap hit of 3.3M or higher.

Buyout window for Condon is June 15-30, assuming he is healthy enough for a buyout.
Thanks. That will be interesting then whether they buy out Condon at that point & if not we have to assume that they will look to move Anderson at the draft. I doubt they keep both but you never know with this org. IMO they should move Anderson first & keep Condon just in case Nilsson or Hogberg get hurt or suck.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Thanks. That will be interesting then whether they buy out Condon at that point & if not we have to assume that they will look to move Anderson at the draft. I doubt they keep both but you never know with this org. IMO they should move Anderson first & keep Condon just in case Nilsson or Hogberg get hurt or suck.
The Draft is June 21 - 22, so they still can try to move Anderson then and if that doesn't work buyout Condon within the June 15-30th window.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm saying Anderson unfortunately cuz I want him traded but dont think he will be

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
His conditioning stint is conditional on his condition.

Eventually he'll be in condition to resume playing, and his conditioning stint will be over.

I don't see him remaining a Senator much longer, under any condition. Nillson was signed and he'll be playing in Ottawa, I suspect with Anderson and leaves Condon the odd man out, and being bought out if he can't be moved to another team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Draft is June 21 - 22, so they still can try to move Anderson then and if that doesn't work buyout Condon within the June 15-30th window.

Agreed but someone told me that the date to buyout Condon was just before the draft, if that is correct than we'll know before the draft whether they intend to keep Condon or buy him out. I would imagine they would buy him out unless of course the idea is to move Anderson at the draft. Maybe they get rid of both, but maybe they hang on to one, & who knows what PD intends to do with the goalies.

I see Condon being bought out before he's ever be playing in Belleville on a OWC.

It wouldn't surprise me either, as I said above, he could be bought our before the draft but there are different possible options here. If the idea is to keep Anderson until the deadline or all yr than it makes sense to buy out Condon. If the idea is to trade Anderson at the draft, than hanging onto Condon may be a prudent move given he is not that expensive & they have plenty of cap room & his contract will be up at the end of the yr anyway. Condon could come back & surprise everyone if he is 100% healthy but then again he could come back & be terrible again.

Anderson has had his own ups & downs in his career. My own guess is that they try & move Anderson at the draft in a package that returns them another 1st or 2nd rd pick this yr & keep Condon as insurance but that's a risky move. Buying out Condon & keeping Anderson until they find out what they have in Nilsson, Hogberg & Gustavsson is the more prudent approach but we'll see soon enough what they plan to do. I don't think it serves a long term purpose to keep Anderson any longer when they could maybe get a decent return for him at his age.

Reactions: RaMai

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed but someone told me that the date to buyout Condon was just before the draft, if that is correct than we'll know before the draft whether they intend to keep Condon or buy him out. I would imagine they would buy him out unless of course the idea is to move Anderson at the draft. Maybe they get rid of both, but maybe they hang on to one, & who knows what PD intends to do with the goalies.

It wouldn't surprise me either, as I said above, he could be bought our before the draft but there are different possible options here. If the idea is to keep Anderson until the deadline or all yr than it makes sense to buy out Condon. If the idea is to trade Anderson at the draft, than hanging onto Condon may be a prudent move given he is not that expensive & they have plenty of cap room & his contract will be up at the end of the yr anyway. Condon could come back & surprise everyone if he is 100% healthy but then again he could come back & be terrible again.

Anderson has had his own ups & downs in his career. My own guess is that they try & move Anderson at the draft in a package that returns them another 1st or 2nd rd pick this yr & keep Condon as insurance but that's a risky move. Buying out Condon & keeping Anderson until they find out what they have in Nilsson, Hogberg & Gustavsson is the more prudent approach but we'll see soon enough what they plan to do. I don't think it serves a long term purpose to keep Anderson any longer when they could maybe get a decent return for him at his age.

Anderson has very little future value and a healthy salary for next season, so I doubt he gets traded at the draft. The TDL is the only hope for getting rid of him. Even then, the return is likely to be minimal such as a last round pick or an AHL level player with no NHL future.

Condon has little to no value either. However, our GM might put him in Belleville for veteran leadership and to help that team win. He did sign an old vet last season for that role.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 pm EST."

Condon does not qualify for the second buyout window, since his cap hit is not 3.455M or greater.

Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Condon situation is very simple. He is not in our plans. I assume because it doesn't make sense to waste a limited resource (NHL/AHL/ECHL playing time to develop goalies) on a player who will be a UFA next season and likely isn't perceived to have a high ceiling as it is.

The team can do one of three things if they don't want Condon
-Buy Condon out before June 30th
-Include Condon as a salary dump in a trade (see Hammond to COL, Legwand to BUF)
-Loan Condon to an AHL team (with his permission)

The only reasons I can think of as to why they won't buy him out by June 30th would be because they are hoping a deal will materialize after June 30th with another team taking him. Because he isn't medically cleared and cannot be bought out. Or because they have an organizational mandate not to put cash on the books for the lockout season, and would rather pay more now than put 1M on the books for 20-21.

The June 30th cutoff gives the Senators enough time to find a trade partner. Condon's buyout cap hit is only 400k this season (1M next season). So he'd be a solid acquisition for a cap team willing to spend money that is looking to dump an insured LTIR contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad