Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That guy would be the ECHL backup. I doubt Condon will play anywhere

Are we not able to have Condon be the ECHL backup, or is that not an option? He's apparently finally healthy, so rather than completely bury him, we might as well give him the chance to rekindle his value and maybe get another team to take a chance on him when his contract runs out.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I still think Condon is gone in some kind of money move before next season. Under that guise the Dubeau signing (some) makes sense.

2019-20: NHL (Anderson, Nilsson) AHL (Hogberg, Gustavsson) ECHL (Daccord, Dubeau)
2020-21: NHL (Nilsson, Hogberg) AHL (Gustavsson, Daccord) ECHL (Dubeau, Mandolese)
2021-22: NHL (Hogberg? Gustavsson) AHL (Daccord, Sogaard/Mandolese) ECHL (Sogaard/Mandolese)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I still think Condon is gone in some kind of money move before next season. Under that guise the Dubeau signing (some) makes sense.

2019-20: NHL (Anderson, Nilsson) AHL (Hogberg, Gustavsson) ECHL (Daccord, Dubeau)
2020-21: NHL (Nilsson, Hogberg) AHL (Gustavsson, Daccord) ECHL (Dubeau, Mandolese)
2021-22: NHL (Hogberg? Gustavsson) AHL (Daccord, Sogaard/Mandolese) ECHL (Sogaard/Mandolese)

My guess is Condon is on LTIR

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would assume he'll be healthy.

Agreed.

He was talking about being healthier than he's been in a long time back in April, so LTIR seems unlikely unless something changed since this article

Condon bursting with confidence following long recovery from hip surgery

By the end of the Senators season, he was taking shots from goaltending coach Pierre Groulx before practice. The extended AHL season, and the potential for a playoff appearance by Belleville, has allowed Condon to see regular action in practice for the first time in six months.
He says he’s in “minimal pain” and “making saves that I wouldn’t make in the past,” with more flexibility.
This is a great opportunity to come down and work with these guys and get real situation shots and feel confident going into the off-season that I’m healthy,” he said. “I didn’t want June to come around and still have that doubt in my head that I haven’t played in a while.
I have no restrictions on the ice and it has been a long time since I’ve had that.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

We may end up losing Gustafson or Hogberg to Seattle.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We may end up losing Gustafson or Hogberg to Seattle.

Dorion alluded to that as well. I don't see Hogberg as a future starting goalie (on a playoff team anyways) and we could protect Gus, but the org obviously sees it as a possibility.

Personally, I think there's gonna be a more enticing F/D option for them (Chlapik, Balcers, Abramov, Lajoie, ect)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Dorion alluded to that as well. I don't see Hogberg as a future starting goalie (on a playoff team anyways) and we could protect Gus, but the org obviously sees it as a possibility.

Personally, I think there's gonna be a more enticing F/D option for them (Chlapik, Balcers, Abramov, Lajoie, ect)

Mock draft has us protecting Gusty

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A bit OT, but still one of the best stories from Ottawa’s history: The Hamburglar

Still kicking, hope he makes it somewhere again.

Former BGSU goalie trains for next NHL chance in northwest Ohio

I cannot believe that the Hamburglar was able to get a one way contract for this season in Buffalo. It's worth noting that he was likely on track to be released by the Sens in June of 2015 before the crazy run started. That lightning in a bottle earned him about $5 million between that time and next June. He seems like a genuinely good dude - I hope he has invested it well...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Andy will be labelled the stater but we will hear about resting him all season which is just an excuse to get Neills more games.

Andy needs to play enough if we hope to trade him and Neills needs games to develop.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Anderson will unfortunately show he's done as anything but a backup. I expect that this will be his last season with the Senators regardless.

Nilsson will be an okay stop gap if he can keep up his play, but I don't see anything there beyond that.

Hogberg will get the first opportunity and it'll be up to him to take it and run or he'll be moved on from rather quickly imo.

Hopefully one or two of them pan out. I like that they've stockpiled so many options after this being a historical weakness for the franchise.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think Anderson will unfortunately show he's done as anything but a backup. I expect that this will be his last season with the Senators regardless.

Nilsson will be an okay stop gap if he can keep up his play, but I don't see anything there beyond that.

Hogberg will get the first opportunity and it'll be up to him to take it and run or he'll be moved on from rather quickly imo.

Hopefully one or two of them pan out. I like that they've stockpiled so many options after this being a historical weakness for the franchise.
If we can draft Askarov i m gonna more happy because we never have a real number one in this franchise.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If we can draft Askarov i m gonna more happy because we never have a real number one in this franchise.

I think Mann has made it well known that he's not a fan of drafting goalies in the first round. I doubt very much given his preferences, and our current group of goalie prospects, that we would chose Askarov over the alternatives available when we're able to pick. Maybe if he's somehow available when the SJ pick comes up, but even I think it's doubtful.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya I'd rather avoid using either of our first rounders on a goalie.

No issue with adding more goalies to the stock pile with later picks, but I'm pretty comfortable with where we're at now and really hoping for a glut of forwards taken with the top 4 or 5 picks next year.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I could see Andy having one last decent stretch if we rest the hell out of him and manage his workload.

And by "decent stretch", I of course mean "good enough that a contending team who wants a playoff rental as an insurance policy @ backup goalie might give us an asset for him at the trade deadline".

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I could see Andy having one last decent stretch if we rest the hell out of him and manage his workload.

And by "decent stretch", I of course mean "good enough that a contending team who wants a playoff rental as an insurance policy @ backup goalie might give us an asset for him at the trade deadline".
Agreed. I certainly think there's a market to deal him as insurance for a playoff team at the deadline and I hope that happens. I don't think we should expect much, but I hope he gets the opportunity.

Even when accounting for the god awful team in front of him these past 2 years, he looks done to me, but it's been one heck of a career for a guy that looked like a career backup for years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed. I certainly think there's a market to deal him as insurance for a playoff team at the deadline and I hope that happens. I don't think we should expect much, but I hope he gets the opportunity.

Even when accounting for the god awful team in front of him these past 2 years, he looks done to me, but it's been one heck of a career for a guy that looked like a career backup for years.

I think Andy was a leader in the god awfulness

I think both he and Nilsson need steady work to play well. That's been Andy's career story and Nilsson's in his shorter career. I am hoping the starts go in Nilsson's favour and that we see Hogberg up after the tdl

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Andy was a leader in the god awfulness

I think both he and Nilsson need steady work to play well. That's been Andy's career story and Nilsson's in his shorter career. I am hoping the starts go in Nilsson's favour and that we see Hogberg up after the tdl
That's the concern with Andy. He needs to play and play a lot to do well typically, but obviously this is his last season in Ottawa, so they'll likely be looking to split time as much as possible.

I see Nilsson as a stop gap either way, so if he doesn't get the ice as much as he should, I'm fine with that.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Yeah would be awesome if we can trade Anderson before the deadline and have Högberg up starting his NHL career backing up Nilson.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Looks like the voting was pretty spot on so far.

Hogberg was sporting an Ottawa Senators mask, while Gusty was sporting a B-Sens mask during the pre-season.

Anderson was pretty good. Maybe he works well under pressure, but the thing is ...DJ says he will play the Nilsson/Andy tandem regardless

ADDED Mads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad