Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Does Mr.Anderson have another year left in him? Maybe not, so who is the next backstop?

Is Nilsson going to be consistent?

Does Condon come back from surgery with lightening quick speed?

Will the Senators ride the Hog?

Have the winds changed direction for Gustavsson?

Is Joey still a baby?

Can we play the Mandolese?

Do we trade for a proven goalie?

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This season is about tanking and Brady getting 40 goals and Chabot getting 82 points. Brannstrom playing 18 minutes by the end of the season, Batherson leading the PP and Brown playing a Full schedule without injury.

Tank all the way - ride Andy and Condon to the #1 pick

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
Anderson traded to SJ for a 4th round pick at the draft.
We sign Mrazek as #1 on a 2 year, $8m contract.
Condon flipped in a deal for a bigger salary dump.
Hogberg backup.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We already know via President of Hockey Operations Bruce Garrioch that the plan is for Hogberg to graduate to backup with Anderson mentoring him. Garrioch has reflected on how the Senators aren't likely to give Nilsson the 3 years he'd be looking for in term. They won't want to risk having a Condonburglar situation in their hands.

It's possible that this could be a strategic leak with the team open to bringing Nilsson back, but only on a favorable deal. This would likely mean that we say goodbye to Hogberg. While Hogberg is far from a blue chip goalie prospect, there is a shortage of NHL goalies, and given his performance to close out the AHL season, I think he'd get claimed on waivers if he does not make the Senators. (Edit: Hogberg is not waiver eligible for another season, so Sens do not have to worry about a claim, they only have to worry about whether he'd sign for another year in the AHL)

From an asset management standpoint, the smartest move would be to trade Anderson and keep Nilsson. Unless our budget is incredibly low, Nilsson's extension shouldn't sink us, even if he doesn't live up to it.

I would expect Condon to either be bundled into a trade where we take on low salary LTIR cap, or to be bought out. It doesn't make much sense to keep Condon. The organization will save a million dollar through buying him out, and unless the plan is to start Daccord in the ECHL, we'd have a logjam in the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Anderson traded to SJ for a 4th round pick at the draft.
We sign Mrazek as #1 on a 2 year, $8m contract.
Condon flipped in a deal for a bigger salary dump.
Hogberg backup.

Trading Anderson to San Jose is a bad idea considering we have their pick. That is, unless you just think he's terrible and will help us. :laugh:

Reactions: NB613

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
We already know via President of Hockey Operations Bruce Garrioch that the plan is for Hogberg to graduate to backup with Anderson mentoring him. Garrioch has reflected on how the Senators aren't likely to give Nilsson the 3 years he'd be looking for in term. They won't want to risk having a Condonburglar situation in their hands.

It's possible that this could be a strategic leak with the team open to bringing Nilsson back, but only on a favorable deal. This would likely mean that we say goodbye to Hogberg. While Hogberg is far from a blue chip goalie prospect, there is a shortage of NHL goalies, and given his performance to close out the AHL season, I think he'd get claimed on waivers if he does not make the Senators.

From an asset management standpoint, the smartest move would be to trade Anderson and keep Nilsson. Unless our budget is incredibly low, Nilsson's extension shouldn't sink us, even if he doesn't live up to it.

I would expect Condon to either be bundled into a trade where we take on low salary LTIR cap, or to be bought out. It doesn't make much sense to keep Condon. The organization will save a million dollar through buying him out, and unless the plan is to start Daccord in the ECHL, we'd have a logjam in the AHL.

So would that be a promotion, or demotion?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. I expect Nilsson to not be re-signed & to be gone July 1.
2. I expect that Condon will go through waivers after training camp & start the yr in Belleville with Gustavsson. I doubt anyone will want him in any kind of trade & like Nilsson will be sent packing at the end of next season. Daccord starts in Brampton.
3. I expect that Anderson starts the yr as the #1 goalie but could possibly be traded by the deadline. If not, he will also be let go at the end of the season or could come back as a backup, mentor & coach for Hogberg & the others when they graduate.
4. I think management will assess the goalie situation with & without Anderson to see what they have & what the potential is of what they have. If they don't see a clear #1 goalie emerging internally than they should target Yaroslov Askorov G in the 2020 draft.
5. Unless a better option comes up than some of the goalies available now, I would prefer that they develop their own goalie of the future like Askorov.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll happily come here and eat crow if it happens, but I simply don't see any kind of a market for Andy. He's 38, somewhat injury prone, and his stats from the last two years just scream, "age based regression". He's also going to cost you over $4 million on your cap. Even if he does have a bounce back year, the history of rental goalies acquired at the deadline is a pretty uneven one. I suspect he plays his final season here then retires as an Ottawa Senator.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
What would be the logic behind burying Condon instead of buying him out? Seems like a ludicrous waste of 3M dollars. Cut your losses and put 1/3rd of that money back in your pocket.

Reactions: h2owned and NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This coming season is a write off, even if they won't admit it.

Anderson is probably retiring after this contract, I suspect they'll ride him out and have Hogberg or Condon back him up.

If Anderson has a great season and we're still not in a playoff hunt, we can look into retaining half his salary and trading him to a contender to be their insurance policy.

More likely Anderson has mediocre numbers (our D likely isn't helping unless DJ Smith is a miracle man) and he retires a Sen, which I'm fine with.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
It had better be Anderson. Not because he gives the team the best shot necessarily, but rather because making one of the young guys the number 1 with the team the Sens will ice in front of him...recipe for another busted goalie. Let Anderson face 35 shots + the majority of the time and cherry pick starts for the back-up, whom ever that might be.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming we can't get anything of value for Anderson the smart play is to just ride him and Hogberg next season. If there's a deal out there where the team nets a 3rd (or more) I'd hope like hell they moves on from him.

This is going to be a bad team regardless next year, so it doesn't really matter who they put in nets (outside of Gustavsson/Daccord who obviously aren't ready and are the future of this team in nets).

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I think Condon starts the season with the big club with the intent to showcase and trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad