Speculation: Goalies, goalies, goalies

Who is the next number one goalie?

• Total voters

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't love the idea of breaking up what's going on in Belleville right now with Daccord and Gus, those guys are thriving with the added opportunity.

At the risk of hurting the tank, it would also be nice to see what we have in Hogberg at the NHL level, before committing to him as part of the solution moving forward. Nilsson is still out a little bit longer and we can give Craig the "Lundqvist treatment" down the stretch if/when all three guys are healthy at once.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
DJ said that they "hope" to get Nilsson back by the end of the year. It's already mid-February, so even if he started practicing next week he won't be ready to play in a game until early March. At this point, it wouldn't be at all surprising to hear soon that they are "shutting him down" for the season.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Reactions: variable26

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Senators are going to be in a very interesting spot when Seattle drafts. They have three goalies at very different places in their development, and they can only protect one.

There is no guarantee Seattle takes a goalie, but assuming we let out UFAs like Brown and Tierney walk, we might not have much else of value unprotected.

The situation reminds me a bit of the Anderson/Lehner/Bishop situation. Not that our three goalies are perfect comparable players to those goalies. Only that we're at a goalie related turning point. The Senators were fortunate last time around that even if they didn't end up with the most successful goalie (Bishop), Anderson despite some downs was a solid enough starter. Lehner was the most talented of the three, but only recently has reached his potential because of well publicized issues outside of hockey.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I don’t want to derail the draft tread so I post here. We have to find a really number one. If Askarov is close to the Isles pick, we have to trade up for him. Or by ufa: Holtby, Markstrom or trade: Murray, Andersen,Georgiev

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I don’t want to derail the draft tread so I post here. We have to find a really number one. If Askarov is close to the Isles pick, we have to trade up for him. Or by ufa: Holtby, Markstrom or trade: Murray, Andersen,Georgiev

Risky business those goalies in the first round.

EM is a gambling man, but that might be too risky for a cheap owner.

I would wait it out with our current stock and trade for when we need to go for the cup run.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Risky business those goalies in the first round.

EM is a gambling man, but that might be too risky for a cheap owner.

I would wait it out with our current stock
You can go with two young unproven goalie. Nilsson is not a goalie I want to enter in playoff with

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

dont-believe-the-hype.jpg

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I heard Ottawa are moving up and trading 3 and 5 for eighth pick. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

In reality, I think it’s now obvious that we are shopping for a cup capable goalie with Nilsson out of the picture, ...was he ever that guy?

It’s pretty risky to go in on Askarov. But maybe why we are also shopping for a new goalie coach.

This team needs a 5 star goalie for the cup runs.

I doubt that anyone knows which ones in our stables now are keepers (pun intended), but I can see Dorion trying to trade some players for another first rounder... or does he make a move for one top goalies looking for a new home. Those guys are 4 stars....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In reality, I think it’s now obvious that we are shopping for a cup capable goalie with Nilsson out of the picture, ...was he ever that guy?

I really liked Nilsson.

I find it hard to evaluate a goalie's career since they sometimes pop up and put together great performances out of nowhere.

I can only evaluate them based on what I've seen, and with Nilsson, what I liked about him was his efficiency of movement considering how big he was.

He never seemed awkward or overly "big" in there, like some very large-framed goalies do. He had a real economy of movement so he seemed rarely out of position for the next save.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Update for Anders

Senators' Anders Nilsson Unlikely To Be Ready For Season

Pierre Groulx tells Bruce Garrioch of The Ottawa Citizen that Nilsson is still struggling with post-concussion syndrome and is unlikely to start the season on the active roster. While the ultimate decision of whether or not Nilsson begins the year on the injured reserve will not be made until he returns from his native Sweden, the odds are slim that Dorion will entrust a key roster spot to Nilsson if he is not fully healthy. According to Groulx, Nilsson is still suffering through headaches and issues related to his neck and eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->