Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I dont get the Gomez or Lombo rumors. Gomez cant play at an nhl level and ML was -19. I know the Leafs were bad, but that is awful. Neither one of these guys are a 2nd line center on this team. I hope you guys dont think that little of this team.

We are all students of Maloney. Have faith. Have to be used to reclamation projects by now.

Feb 12, 2003
I'm all for a UFA Gomez. I've been pushing him for the past year or so from time to time. He just seems like a natural fit to me. After New York & Montreal he may enjoy a market like Phoenix where he isn't under the microscope. With the Coyotes just getting to the Conference Finals and defending the Pacific Division title they would have to be considered a contender for him to make a difference. Best yet is that Coyotes need Gomez more than other contenders, he'll get the best opportunity here.

Either way his destination is a make it or break it proposition. He may pan out or complete fizzle away into retirement. GMDM will be in the running I have no doubt, but the decision is up to Gomez. No more than a 2 year deal though, and the money has to be right.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Isn't ROR pulling a Turris and holding out ? If so I am not sure I want a guy like that on the Yotes ..

Agreed. I want players to want to buy into a system and play. I was always a Turris fan, and felt he added another level of scoring, but clearly that wasn't the case with his shot return as a Coyote. I couldn't have been more wrong about the kid, and I don't want someone else on the team that isn't willing to play Coyote hockey. It's been proven that Coyote hockey works, but it only works if the players want to play it.

I don't know ROR situation, but if that is the case, I'm not interested in that.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm all for a UFA Gomez. I've been pushing him for the past year or so from time to time. He just seems like a natural fit to me. After New York & Montreal he may enjoy a market like Phoenix where he isn't under the microscope. With the Coyotes just getting to the Conference Finals and defending the Pacific Division title they would have to be considered a contender for him to make a difference. Best yet is that Coyotes need Gomez more than other contenders, he'll get the best opportunity here.

Either way his destination is a make it or break it proposition. He may pan out or complete fizzle away into retirement. GMDM will be in the running I have no doubt, but the decision is up to Gomez. No more than a 2 year deal though, and the money has to be right.

Isn't he on a massive contract already though? I have no idea, but I thought he was a huge signing and obviously didn't produce to the money he was making?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Isn't he on a massive contract already though? I have no idea, but I thought he was a huge signing and obviously didn't produce to the money he was making?

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, teams are now eligible to exercise an "accelerated compliance buyout" on one player with a salary cap hit of $3 million or more before the regular season begins on Saturday.

If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer.

That could be good news for players such as Scott Gomez and Wade Redden, two players who are not playing this season because if they got injured, their teams could not buy them out after the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I say take a flyer on Gomez for free and look to add a goal scorer in a trade. I think Sullivan and Vrbata would look good with Gomez. I know Tippett probably wouldn't split up Vrbata and Hanzal but Gomez might be able to set both those guys up well.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I say take a flyer on Gomez for free and look to add a goal scorer in a trade. I think Sullivan and Vrbata would look good with Gomez. I know Tippett probably wouldn't split up Vrbata and Hanzal but Gomez might be able to set both those guys up well.

This. Whitney was a great set up for Vrbata. Whitney is a pass first, shoot 2nd type player, and Vrbata is the total opposite. They worked hand in hand in their styles of play.

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
Did you guys see him play last year? Players dont get better with age over 30. He peaked years ago. Please dont waste a spot on Gomez. Get someone who can grow with speed. PP shooting would be a plus.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Did you guys see him play last year? Players dont get better with age over 30. He peaked years ago. Please dont waste a spot on Gomez. Get someone who can grow with speed. PP shooting would be a plus.

"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams. Then there's fifty feet of crap, and then there's us. It's an unfair game."

Gomez is a low risk, high reward project. Does it have the potential to go absolutely sideways and be a terrible waste, even possibly a distraction? Yeah. But all evidence points to it being more likely he returns to form and puts in a solid season in a system that caters to his strengths. All we're asking for is 40 points and to not destroy the room.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
"The problem we're trying to solve is that there are rich teams and there are poor teams. Then there's fifty feet of crap, and then there's us. It's an unfair game."

Gomez is a low risk, high reward project. Does it have the potential to go absolutely sideways and be a terrible waste, even possibly a distraction? Yeah. But all evidence points to it being more likely he returns to form and puts in a solid season in a system that caters to his strengths. All we're asking for is 40 points and to not destroy the room.

This is exactly right.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

The closer we get to the season, the more I'm thinking don't do anything and save the roster spots. If they are still in the thick of it later make a move to boost themselves. Maloney has a good deadline track record. Plus if we wait a bit, Schlemko and Stone may prove themselves out a little more and add to their value. Someone could come calling.

If only Schlemko had not gotten hurt last season I don't think we'd be in this position. A move would have already been made.

But in a hypothetical Gomez acquisition I'd be okay with low goal totals. 30 points in a short season would be fine too so long as he keeps the minus number in control. Also he's been out of that type of system for a while so I'm not 100% sold on him transitioning back to it right away.

^ What he said.

We don't need a #2. :shakehead

Not a lot of #1 centers around, let alone availible. And if you listen to HF conventional wisdom :)rolleyes:) there aren't even 30 "true" #1 centers.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But in a hypothetical Gomez acquisition I'd be okay with low goal totals. 30 points in a short season would be fine too so long as he keeps the minus number in control. Also he's been out of that type of system for a while so I'm not 100% sold on him transitioning back to it right away.

In his worst normal season, he had 38 points. That'd be swell for a guy you pick up cheap that has cup experience. The 4 seasons prior to that 38 pt campaign he averaged ~61. We want 40. I consider the 2 goal season a soul crushing aberration for what has always been a great guy and a good player. He was on an absolute **** team, making an absurd amount of money. Fly, fly away to Phoenix.

Not a lot of #1 centers around, let alone availible. And if you listen to HF conventional wisdom :)rolleyes:) there aren't even 30 "true" #1 centers.

Yes, we need a #1 center to go with our nonexistent top 3 wingers.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
In his worst normal season, he had 38 points. That'd be swell for a guy you pick up cheap that has cup experience. The 4 seasons prior to that 38 pt campaign he averaged ~61. We want 40. I consider the 2 goal season a soul crushing aberration for what has always been a great guy and a good player. He was on an absolute **** team, making an absurd amount of money. Fly, fly away to Phoenix.

Yes, we need a #1 center to go with our nonexistent top 3 wingers.

Exactly. It's not like we're looking for someone to center a couple PPG wingers. If we take a flyer on him, he doesn't cost us any players or picks and can just be cut if he doesn't work out. He's always been a good teammate so there's really no risk here. Sure I'd like to see us bring in Benn and O'Reily to play on our top line. But since it doesn't look like that's going to happen, Chip is probably taking regular shifts at center for us with Korpi sliding over if one of our other centers gets hurt. I like our chances with a free Gomez if that's the alternative.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He has to clear waivers to be bought out, so we're at least a few days away from hearing on this.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Anyone wonder why we keep stating a #2 C? Would the idea be to move Hanzal back a line?

Was just kind of wondering what other people's insights are, but I really think that some of this has to do with concern about the face-off rules. Hanzal won a ton of face-offs by simply using his leverage to tie up the stick, and then he would glove the puck back to a D-man. A lot of these wins occurred on crucial face-offs toward the end of games in our defensive zone. I believe this is now a penalty.

It is an issue that concerns me, as I see this being a small hindrance that will make Hanzal better at working face-offs in the long run, but he may have an adjustment period as the season goes. Kind of has me worried that if this is a part of the game that Hanzal his trouble with at any point, it is the type of thing that affects whether or not Hanzal's point production moves up or stays flat this year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Anyone wonder why we keep stating a #2 C? Would the idea be to move Hanzal back a line?

Was just kind of wondering what other people's insights are, but I really think that some of this has to do with concern about the face-off rules. Hanzal won a ton of face-offs by simply using his leverage to tie up the stick, and then he would glove the puck back to a D-man. A lot of these wins occurred on crucial face-offs toward the end of games in our defensive zone. I believe this is now a penalty.

It is an issue that concerns me, as I see this being a small hindrance that will make Hanzal better at working face-offs in the long run, but he may have an adjustment period as the season goes. Kind of has me worried that if this is a part of the game that Hanzal his trouble with at any point, it is the type of thing that affects whether or not Hanzal's point production moves up or stays flat this year.

Hanzal will match up against most, if not all opposing team's #1 centers. It doesn't matter what you call his line, it won't change his role. I think Maloney is trying to ice two lines that can generate consistent offensive pressure. That's the goal in landing a "#2" center imo. Plus, he knows he isn't going to be able to trade for a #1 so might as well make that clear right from the start.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'd put money on a guaranteed 50 points from Gomez. The guy has definitely something to prove, and joining a team like this one, with no player or fan scrutiny, solid coaching, great leadership and overall outstanding work ethic would be a great opportunity for him to put his career back on track. We're not that different from NJ back then.

Lombardi's too soft. I'll pass.

zeeto

Oct 28, 2011
Endwell, NY
Gomez's true issue was that he was never a $7.5m player. Throw him in with the MTL media and it was a feeding frenzy. There was talk that his issues last year had to do with that even more increased media pressure and possibly a bit of depression caused from it. A low key hockey media outlet would be perfect for him.
The one thing you never heard his teammates say was he was a bad locker room presence, it's actually been the opposite. He was also one of the nicest Habs to meet in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad