Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Well that was easy.

Which begs the question. Why hasn't this happened already? Makes sense from all angles, even financially. I wonder if Maloney is still sour from his negotiations with Lombardi. Z left for security, Lombardi wanted the money.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Which begs the question. Why hasn't this happened already? Makes sense from all angles, even financially. I wonder if Maloney is still sour from his negotiations with Lombardi. Z left for security, Lombardi wanted the money.

Lombardi actually tried to come back and collect on Maloney's final offer, but the dough had already been spent on Whitney.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Lombardi actually tried to come back and collect on Maloney's final offer, but the dough had already been spent on Whitney.
And that has now also run it's course.

Everything seems to fit. It's perfect. Well perfect if you think Lombardi is the missing piece anyway. I'd like to hope for better but would settle, I guess.

rt

May 13, 2004
And that has now also run it's course.

Everything seems to fit. It's perfect. Well perfect if you think Lombardi is the missing piece anyway. I'd like to hope for better but would settle, I guess.

I'd like to give him a shot if Toronto will retain half of his salary. 1.75m prorated is not too hefty a price for an experiment that has as good a chance at panning out as it does of falling flat. If our expectations are a guy who plays Tippetts system well, fits in well in the locker room, hustles, plays a responsible defensive game, and chips in 15g 25a I think he's got a decent shot at panning out. He's also got a decent shot of not ever being that player again and ending up on waivers or a 4th line LW, waste of a roster spot. It's a gamble.

rt

May 13, 2004
Vote:

A) Brandon Gormley and a 2nd for Ryan O'Reilly(signed to an extension negotiated by GMDM)

or

B) Matthew Lombardi (50% retention) for a 3rd round pick (and a random crappy contract stuck in the minors to even the number)

If there is a gun to your head and you have to choose A or B, which do you go for? Is it A, B, or a bullet in the brain? No other options.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If there is a gun to your head and you have to choose A or B, which do you go for? Is it A, B, or a bullet in the brain? No other options.

Because both are a luxury and not needed, B. Trades like A are the ones that haunt franchises, even though ROR is a great player.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Vote:

A) Brandon Gormley and a 2nd for Ryan O'Reilly(signed to an extension negotiated by GMDM)

or

B) Matthew Lombardi (50% retention) for a 3rd round pick (and a random crappy contract stuck in the minors to even the number)

B for sure. We know what O'reilly brings, and he's good, but not amazing. Who's to say he would fit Tippett's style, what kind of money does he want, how many years, has he reached his peak....yadda yadda yadda. MUCH more content with Gormley who was SUPPOSED to be a top 3 pick in the draft, but fell due to organizational needs, who has shown tremendous play in the Memorial Cup and WJC'S, and who is projected to play Shea Weber style hockey if he stays with his niche and performance progression. Easy decision for me.
*Takes gun anyway, fires victory shots.*

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not even remotely as high on Gormley as most around here and still I'd say B without hesitation.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
...and who is projected to play Shea Weber style hockey if he stays with his niche and performance progression.
Really? I've never heard of this comparison before, it was my understanding that Gormley is nowhere near as physical as Weber much less having that kind of shot. I always thought Gormley was projected to be more of Teppo Numminen type of player. :dunno:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I say A. A player like RoR is not currently in the organization. He brings a needed skill set, is young and most importantly, plays a style that Tippett would, in theory, like and therefore allow him to play meaningful minutes. There are no guarantees on Gormely and I still feel pretty good moving forward with Yandle, OEL, Rundblad, Stone and Murphy as 5 highly skilled, young dmen with a few other guys more than capable of filling in the bottom pairing for years to come.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
B

Gormley has a wicked shot from the point, but it's not a booming slap shot, it's a well placed wrister. Not physical like Weber either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Really? I've never heard of this comparison before, it was my understanding that Gormley is nowhere near as physical as Weber much less having that kind of shot. I always thought Gormley was projected to be more of Teppo Numminen type of player. :dunno:

I think of Gormley as a larger version of Dan Boyle. A mobile, 2 way guy who prefers the stick check to playing the body. Can be lethal on the PP. Intangibles. Not a lot of comparables that play that way anymore. Not as mobile as Yandle, not as physical as Weber. I've also seen him compared to Duncan Keith, Seabrook, Hamhuis and McCabe.

EJ McGuire is the one who compared Gormley to Weber. In either case, the kid has #1 all-star potential. He just needs to keep progressing. Considering that he dropped to the Coyotes (once was a top 5 pick) and that pick was from the Jokinen trade, I'd like to keep him for sentimental reasons.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

I could've sworn McKenzie was comparing them on their abilities to remain poised, calm, and collected when he was drafted.

EDIT: XX got it.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Vote:

or

Option B - low risk, high reward, short term fix. If Gormley winds up as good as his ceiling seems, and we end up trading OEL/Yandle/Gormley at that time for a blockbuster deal, we'll go from thinking about winning a Cup to thinking about how to build a Dynasty.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...t-rush-luongo-trade-gomez-redden-left-to-wait

What needs to happen here is common sense. I’m hoping the NHL and NHLPA come to some sort of side agreement that deals specifically with Gomez and Redden that allow each player to continue their NHL careers but still allow the Habs and Rangers to get out of their cap issue with both players next season. We shall see what comes out of this.

They need to work this out. Why not just let the buyout occur right now? Then we can give Gomez a shot here for nothing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...t-rush-luongo-trade-gomez-redden-left-to-wait

They need to work this out. Why not just let the buyout occur right now? Then we can give Gomez a shot here for nothing.

You know what. nHLPA didn't want to talk about realignment. Nhlpa didn't want to address contract length but now they want to address an unintended loophole? I would be tempted to say see you in 10 years but I do believe the right thing is to allow immediate buyouts. I can't believed the nhlpa missed this.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You know what. nHLPA didn't want to talk about realignment. Nhlpa didn't want to address contract length but now they want to address an unintended loophole? I would be tempted to say see you in 10 years but I do believe the right thing is to allow immediate buyouts. I can't believed the nhlpa missed this.

The only definite about this situation is that absolutely nobody gains from forcing these guys to sit at home for the season.

rt

May 13, 2004
My comparison for Gormley is Kaberle in the offensive zone and Michalek in the other two.

I'd probably go for option B. But I'd think about A and here's why; 12months and eleven days. That's how much older ROR is than Gormley. Also, four years. That's how long we have to win a cup with Shane Doan as captain. If Gormley becomes as good as I expect him to, he will be a fantastic first pairing defenseman who can play first unit PP and first unit PK. Let's say he flips a switch late into the AHL season and starts to really figure things out. Then next season he splits time. Season after he starts on a bottom pair and works his way up the depth chart. Soonest he's ready to really start to approach that peak is in Doan's last season. Ryan O'Reilly on the other hand...

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1423

and...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

He's already arrived and will contribute a ton in those next four years.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Because both are a luxury and not needed, B. Trades like A are the ones that haunt franchises, even though ROR is a great player.

Isn't that the beautiful thing about the way this team has been built? We tend to strike gold b/c we make the right deals, and we have a ton of assets, in terms of current and future NHLers.

And I would go for B.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Vote:

or

Option A. I'd hate to sacrifice Gormley, but I would without much hesitation to get O'Reilly. I watch quite a bit of Avalanche games (they are my regional tv team) and I'm real high on him. His defensive game is about as good as Hanzals and he has 70 point upside. I honestly believe he has Patrice Bergeron Potential. And he's only 21. I don't think Gormley and a 2nd gets it done though.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
A. ROR is a damn good player and if he want to remain with the team we should really go for it. Sure, losing Gormley is a shame but we need O more than we need D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad