Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I would also reluctantly go A and then consider Yandle and OEL the long term foundation of this d-corps with still many good pieces to fill it out. I think ROR has shown that what he brings to the ice would be a great fit for how this team plays and would be a top 2 line center for many years.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
A. I think O'Reilly would be perfect here. He's only going to get better as he gets older and look what he did in his 21 year-old season already. Like you said, he's only a year older than Gormley. Yah, it would suck to lose Gormley, but you have to give to get and ROR is an awesome return on an unproven prospect.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
RO'R is currently making $4 mil. Av's fans have said the problem they have with re-signing him is the term. I just don't understand the problem, maybe he just wants to play alongside his brother. It would be great if he became a Coyote, I just don't think it's much of a possibility. I just think there is a lot more of a possibility of Iginla being acquired than Ryan O'Reily.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If General Manager Don Maloney is able to execute a trade during camp after having one deal already fall through, don’t expect him to pick apart the core of the Coyotes to do it.

“There are a lot of teams looking for defensive help, defensemen,†Maloney said. “So we have depth there and quality there and quantity, but we like our players. We like our depth. We like the idea of Keith Yandle on our roster and Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and I really believe we may lack some skill up front to a degree, but we can make up for it with a mobile, puck-moving defense, and Keith is the lead of the line in that department.â€

Yandle’s name has been mentioned in trade rumors since the NHL draft last June. Maloney said a couple of teams approached him at the draft, and he listened, but it would take a major return to complete a deal like that.

“Keith’s an assistant captain. He’s part of our core,†Maloney said. “He’s been here since I’ve been here, and in order to have success, you have to have your core players.

“He’s no different than any other player we have that, if the deal is right — but it has to be really, really right for us to think of a guy like Keith, Marty Hanzal, the guys that have been here, our core players. We want to keep our core players.â€

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/articles/20130114phoenix-coyotes-cramming-first-test.html

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Hey guys, I'm still a Coyotes fan and hoping we don't fall back too much this year without Whitney.

Obviously Ryan O'Reilly would be an ideal fit, but I think Colorado would want more added to the hypothetical Gormley deal.

Not that he is available or that that I'd want him traded, but any interest in Burmistrov? He just seems like the most likely trade chip the JETS have to maybe get another defenseman. For Burmistrov to be made available, Scheifele would have to prove ready to play and contribute regularly though.

Jets imo need to add depth to their defense and preferably someone with some sand paper to their game because we are loaded with puck movers and really only have one aggressive bottom pairing guy in Stuart. Ideally Klesla would be great, but his impending UFA status in 14/15 would likely be too short term for the JETS liking.

Stone would fit the bill, but another thing to consider is the amount of right shooting defenseman we have in the organization (Buff, Bogosian, Postma, Redmond Trouba) Perhaps something with Summers? Granted if it's Burmi involved, there would be a significant plus added from the Coyotes. If it were around Gormley/Burmi the plus would be added by the JETS.

Don't know if there's any deal to be had that works for both team to be quite honest because it seems like both could use help upfront, just spit balling here. Maybe Scheifele isn't ready and Burmi takes another step forward in his development, making this all mute.

Anyways GOOD LUCK to you guys this season. Here's hoping you can upset those pesky Kings this year.;)

Last edited:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Hey guys, I'm still a Coyotes fan and hoping we don't fall back too much this year without Whitney.

Obviously Ryan O'Reilly would be an ideal fit, but I think Colorado would want more added to the hypothetical Gormley deal.

Not that he is available or that that I'd want him traded, but any interest in Burmistrov? He just seems like the most likely trade chip the JETS have to maybe get another defenseman. For Burmistrov to be made available, Scheifele would have to prove ready to play and contribute regularly though.

Jets imo need to add depth to their defense and preferably someone with some sand paper to their game because we are loaded with puck movers and really only have one aggressive bottom pairing guy in Stuart. Ideally Klesla would be great, but his impending UFA status in 14/15 would likely be too short term for the JETS liking.

Stone would fit the bill, but another thing to consider is the amount of right shooting defenseman we have in the organization (Buff, Bogosian, Postma, Redmond Trouba) Perhaps something with Summers? Granted if it's Burmi involved, there would be a significant plus added from the Coyotes. If it were around Gormley/Burmi the plus would be added by the JETS.

Don't know if there's any deal to be had that works for both team to be quite honest because it seems like both could use help upfront, just spit balling here. Maybe Scheifele isn't ready and Burmi takes another step forward in his development, making this all mute.

Anyways GOOD LUCk to you guys this season. Here's hoping you can upset those pesky Kings this year.;)

TRAITORRR!!

:sarcasm:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Just saw on the main boards that the NHL is allowing NYR and Canadiens to buy out Redden and Gomez, but still counting against their cap.

Cue the UFA Gomez to Phoenix rumors.:laugh:

A plausible option at a discount price.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With Gomez being bought out, do you sign him? Lombardi is a more known quantity, but Gomez has the higher upside. I don't really buy into the whole Hispanic appeal thing, because frankly there are a lot of teams who could claim that angle, but it's a bonus.

terrible season aside, his last 3 were 38, 59! and 58!

Adding intrigue is that Lombardi can be subsidized, making him fit better money wise. Gomez can't.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Maloney has been waiting to see what happens with Gomez before moving on Lombardi.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Probably in on Gomez

david pagnotta ‏@thefourthperiod
updated story: As many as 5 teams have already shown preliminary interest in gomez, all in the west (so far)...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would guess Phoenix and Vancouver are in on Gomez. I think he'd look good in Whitney's spot on the Czech line. I believe he could potentially put up 30 assists in that spot. I expect he'd be better off on the wing than up the middle, especially with Hanzal flourishing in the Mr. Everything, do ALL of the work and completely carry the line role. Vrbata just gets open and all Ray had to do was look for him. I think Gomez can do that. Pretty easy when Hanzal has already created a ton of room.

Steve Sullivan has traditionally been more of a goalscorer and might not be the perfect Whitney replacement. Good player and I'm thrilled to have him, but I think Gomez might be a better fit just on that line specifically.

Gomez has always played his best for tight system coaches. His game didn't fall off a cliff in Montreal until after Jacques Martin was fired. Before that he played well for Tortorella and obviously his glory days came playing for the infamously tight Devils.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I thought Gomez' buyout meant he can't play this season, what with injuries putting his salary against the cap or something?

He isn't injured. He just sucks so bad for the Canadiens that they told him not to report. Had he gotten injured, they wouldn't be able to buy him out in the offseason. The term for this is now called "bubble wrapping."

If he is bought out this week he can re-sign with anyone not named Montreal. Money shouldn't be an issue. If I'm him I go seeking the right fit, and I think Phoenix offers that. Anonymity and one hell of a coach/system.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Does anyone else get the feeling that Gomez would play really good for us?

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
I dont get the Gomez or Lombo rumors. Gomez cant play at an nhl level and ML was -19. I know the Leafs were bad, but that is awful. Neither one of these guys are a 2nd line center on this team. I hope you guys dont think that little of this team.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
I dont get the Gomez or Lombo rumors. Gomez cant play at an nhl level and ML was -19. I know the Leafs were bad, but that is awful. Neither one of these guys are a 2nd line center on this team. I hope you guys dont think that little of this team.
They'd be 3rd line centers with mostly defensive duties and would play in a system that fit them a lot better(i.e one that actually work).

That said, I'm very wary of Gomez but I think Lombardi could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad