Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
on this team under this coach, I'd rather get another #2 center instead of a #1 center...given the cost it would take to acquire one.....and the jokinen experience.

Not sure that Jokinen in PHX is a good (exemplary) case for what a #1 centre can do for a club.

Jokinen in a nut shell:

* lacks leadership skills;
* can be locker room cancer;
* displays inconsistent work ethics;
* lacks motivation - at times;
* streaky point producer;
* better scorer than playmaker;

His scoring skills get him cast as a #1 centre, but he comes with more baggage than most...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd put money on a guaranteed 50 points from Gomez. The guy has definitely something to prove, and joining a team like this one, with no player or fan scrutiny, solid coaching, great leadership and overall outstanding work ethic would be a great opportunity for him to put his career back on track. We're not that different from NJ back then.

Lombardi's too soft. I'll pass.

I'd be happy with 10g 30a 40p prorated, of course. Which is actually 48gp 6g 18a 24pts.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'd be happy with 10g 30a 40p prorated, of course. Which is actually 48gp 6g 18a 24pts.

Yes, thx for correcting, I was thinking 50pts over 82 games.

I'd be fine with 6-8-24 this season, and maybe a $ 3.5 M / yr, 3 year contract. Something similar to Vermette since I really believe they'd get similar stats.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sarah McLellan‏@azc_mclellan

Haven't been able to tweet much this afternoon with #Coyotes media day but this is what I've been told re: trades.

Was a deal in works the last few days and Maloney hoped to accomplish it by start of camp but it's not available anymore.

Deal could still happen but it very well may not. Very fluid time right now with teams assessing needs.

Obviously, and this isn't new, #Coyotes have defensive depth. That's their main bargaining chip.

It's also no secret this team has a need for offensive help, particularly up the middle.

But if a core piece is going to be sacrificed for that, like a Yandle, it would merit a sizable return.

I wonder if it was a preliminary trade agreement with Colorado that fell through after Maloney talked to the O'Reilly camp. Maybe it was Sherman that pulled the plug but ROR's representation.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Whoa, whoa. I was thinking the same contract Sullivan got.

Yeah paying Gomez 3m when he scored 2 goals last season is a HUGE overpayment. Anything above 1m is overpayment.

Sullivan's 38 years old. Gomez is 33. And I don't think Gomez' past 2 seasons under Montreal scrutiny reflect his capabilities. The guy was a 50-60 point player expected to perform like a 100 pt guy, which he simply couldn't and will never be able to do. He was just crushed by the pressure of his insane contract. He's always been said to be a good guy, great in the locker room; his lack of performance was obviously a mental problem.

I'd love to get him for $ 1.5 M, but I don't see it happening. Someone will over $ 2.5 M+.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd imagine he will sign a one year deal this season as he's still being paid by Montreal the next two. I want to see him for a year before we commit to anything past this season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Officially waived

One day after the NHL and NHL Players' Association reached an agreement on an accelerated compliance buyout, the Montreal Canadiens placed Scott Gomez on unconditional waivers on Wednesday.

Should he clear waivers on Thursday at Noon et, Montreal will be able to buy him out.

Last weekend, the Canadiens told Gomez to stay home until he can be bought out in the summer in order to clear $7.3 million in salary cap space for next season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413671

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Found this from this morning: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx130116.html

If a trade not longer presents itself, Maloney could go after soon-to-be free agent center Scott Gomez.

Gomez, 33, is expected to be put on waivers today, and providing he clears tomorrow, the Montreal Canadiens will buy out his contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Well Gomez was placed on waivers and if/when he clears, they'll buy him out

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'd imagine he will sign a one year deal this season as he's still being paid by Montreal the next two. I want to see him for a year before we commit to anything past this season.

Of course a $ 1.5 M, 1-year contract would be "fair". The problem is, UFAs are pretty much always overpaid, and fairness doesn't matter. Someone will throw a better offer.

Also, we still don't have an owner. While the team is an exciting one to join for any player, no-one knows where this team will play next season.

Well, now that I think about it, that might actually serve us well. A one year, cheap, short season contract to show what he's worth, then hit UFA this summer and get something more lucrative in a stable franchise. I can see the appeal. If that's the case, he'll want to join a team that's likely to reach the postseason. We could be a good fit.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If Maloney does sign Gomez, he sure can play hard ball as far as trade offers for defensemen go. The forward depth would probably be serviceable enough that he could turn down a good offer and wait for a great offer.

For some reason, I keep thinking "If Maloney can get Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo, what kind of return does Klesla or Morris get?"

Also, I've seen a couple articles about the Senators considering a move at the end of training camp to acquire a defenseman because of injuries. They mention their depth at forward would be the likely assets moved. They've got a few guys that would be great additions to the Yotes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21356/betting-on-brunner-high-hopes-for-hawks

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd love to sign Gomez to a one year deal and show other GMs that we've been talking to about their depth centers that we aren't effing around. Ultimately, I like him better at wing, anyhow, but they don't have to know that. haha. Sign Gomez, use it as leverage to get another team to pull the trigger on a deal to get us a better center option, and then simply convert Gomez to LW and give him a shot to set up Vrbata on the Czech line.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-XXX-Korpikoski
Torres-Gordon-Moss

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'd love to sign Gomez to a one year deal and show other GMs that we've been talking to about their depth centers that we aren't effing around. Ultimately, I like him better at wing, anyhow, but they don't have to know that. haha. Sign Gomez, use it as leverage to get another team to pull the trigger on a deal to get us a better center option, and then simply convert Gomez to LW and give him a shot to set up Vrbata on the Czech line.

Exactly. Then Maloney can decide how big of a deal he wants to swing. Whether it's a pick for Lombardi or a defenseman for someone better and more reliable. I'm eager to see how it plays out.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Also, I've seen a couple articles about the Senators considering a move at the end of training camp to acquire a defenseman because of injuries. They mention their depth at forward would be the likely assets moved. They've got a few guys that would be great additions to the Yotes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21356/betting-on-brunner-high-hopes-for-hawks

We're not going to get a #2 scoring center from them, since we just gave them theirs. They wouldn't offer Zibanejad, Silfverberg or Michalek and Greening, Smith, Condra, Latendresse and Regin are fine but not really an upgrade on what we have.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Exactly. Then Maloney can decide how big of a deal he wants to swing. Whether it's a pick for Lombardi or a defenseman for someone better and more reliable. I'm eager to see how it plays out.

It would probably have to be a pick for a subsidized Lombardi. Maybe give them a 4th and Summers, see how much they will eat. Essentially buying a player and a pick. If we sign Gomez, salary spending will start to be tight. Can't imagine we want to be much more north of $53 million or so.

rt

May 13, 2004
I doubt any team in the NHL offers Gomez a penny more than two million bucks. If he chooses us, it's going to be for the fit, not the cash.

If we can get TO to cover the max 50% on Lombardi, he'll only be 1.75m. We can most definitely afford both. Chipchura is a lot cheaper than Torres, but it sounds like they're hoping to hang onto Raffi (might work out, might not, probably worth a shot).

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It would probably have to be a pick for a subsidized Lombardi. Maybe give them a 4th and Summers, see how much they will eat. Essentially buying a player and a pick. If we sign Gomez, salary spending will start to be tight. Can't imagine we want to be much more north of $53 million or so.

Lombardi is still owed $1.75M on that contract, correct? If Toronto eats half, we're talking less than a million dollars, right? If that's really a possibility, then I wouldn't offer Gomez much more than a million. He either sees the fit and the potential for a mutually beneficial relationship, or he doesn't. If it still comes down to money for him, he won't be coming here. NJ could probably outbid us and provide a soft landing spot for him too.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm not factoring in the pro-rated nature of things. I'm going strictly off of traditional 82 game schedule. I never bothered to get clarification on how the "make whole" provision will impact the 32 lost games as they relate to wages. I assume players are to be "made whole" on the 58.5% of the wages they will actually earn by playing a 48 game season.

Personally, it's too much more me to bother digesting, given that it will impact this one, nearly pointless mini-season. I'd rather just forget about it.

Anyway, when I said not a penny more than two million for Gomez, I wasn't factoring in the pro-rated season. What I actually meant was "Not a penny more than $1,170,731.71" :)

rt

May 13, 2004
Lombardi is still owed $1.75M on that contract, correct? If Toronto eats half, we're talking less than a million dollars, right? If that's really a possibility, then I wouldn't offer Gomez much more than a million. He either sees the fit and the potential for a mutually beneficial relationship, or he doesn't. If it still comes down to money for him, he won't be coming here. NJ could probably outbid us and provide a soft landing spot for him too.

If he decides NJ is a better fit, than so be it. I won't view it as a loss. He's just a Hail Mary anyway. Let them take their half court shot, instead of us, if they'd like.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Anyway, when I said not a penny more than two million for Gomez, I wasn't factoring in the pro-rated season. What I actually meant was "Not a penny more than $1,170,731.71" :)

Yes, thx for correcting, I was thinking 50pts over 82 games.

I'd be fine with 6-8-24 this season, and maybe a $ 3.5 M / yr, 3 year contract. Something similar to Vermette since I really believe they'd get similar stats.

I'm gonna just start assuming everyone means pro-rated around here now. Because I thought OEL went crazy there :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
The prediction of 30-40 points for Gomez was pretty bold, too. Haha. Not so much if you actually explain that you don't mean 35pts in 48gp but rather 35pts in 82gp or 21pts in 48gp in reality. Ugh. This lock-out was so stupid, pointless, and frustrating.

What did the players actually gain in agreeing to this deal rather than the last offer to preserve 82 games? What did they gain in exchange for losing 42% of their income for this season? Nothing even approaching close to worth it, I can guarantee that.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Gomez will still be making his 5 million from Montreal this year. I doubt he's going to be looking for the highest bidder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad