Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZcoyotes33

Jun 2, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
This via Craig Morgan's twitter:
@cmorgancbsfoxaz: #Coyotes GM Don Maloney said he had hoped to have a trade done for a forward today but the trade partner wasn't ready to say yes.

@cmorgancbsfoxaz: Maloney said top priority is to find a C. No. 2, scoring.

Craig Morgan is at the Coyotes media day... let the rumors and speculation begin.

Also before people start the Yandle to Boston rumors, take notice that Yandle has been one of the key players during media day. He has been taking a lot of pictures in front of the green screen, etc. It almost seems the Coyotes are really trying to showcase him and market him. Dont know if he is a realistic option to be traded away. No one besides Doan is "untouchable" but i dont see him being moved right now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
O'Reilly?

I will be pissed if Yandle is traded solely for O'Reilly. That does nothing for us short term or long term. It has to be an absolute win. Unless there is something going on behind the scenes with Yandle that we don't know about.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Hopefully this is a rumor that is not true since we need a #1 Center. Vermette is the #2 Center with Hanzal at #3 and Gordon at #4.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I believe Thomas Plekanec will become available by seasons end, would you guys consider him?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I believe Thomas Plekanec will become available by seasons end, would you guys consider him?

If we've learned anything, it's that Maloney will consider everything for the right price.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I will be pissed if Yandle is traded solely for O'Reilly. That does nothing for us short term or long term. It has to be an absolute win. Unless there is something going on behind the scenes with Yandle that we don't know about.

Would it be possible to get ROR without moving Yandle? Maybe Gormley plus?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Would it be possible to get ROR without moving Yandle? Maybe Gormley plus?

What about Stone and Chris Brown? Colorado likes Michigan products. Throw Summers in too. Anything but Gormley. If your scouts say he's going to be Shea Weber good, you don't trade him for a guy who had 1 good season and is now being difficult with his contract.

Not when you can have Lombardi for a 3rd and have near the same impact.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wished it was a number one also but maybe it would gut the team too much to get it done.

Let's be honest here. What does a #2 center do on this team? You roll with Korpi/Sullivan and likely Moss, contributing some offense if possible. Hanzal and Vermette are really 1-2.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If for no other reason, Maloney would say "#2 center" out of respect for Hanzal. If we do get a guy that is a serious scoring threat, I hope we put together a line that can actually pressure the other team on a consistent basis.

Well at least this makes the 1 week training camp interesting.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Let's be honest here. What does a #2 center do on this team? You roll with Korpi/Sullivan and likely Moss, contributing some offense if possible. Hanzal and Vermette are really 1-2.

I agree, I think the 2nd tweet wasn't accurate. I believe Maloney is looking for a scoring forward, RWer or Center. Hopefully it's Iginla...

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

I know our whole team is very conservative and it has worked out well so far but sometimes it would be nice to make a move to get someone who can put up 1ppg or more although I would cringe at the cost.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Sarah McLellan‏@azc_mclellan

Haven't been able to tweet much this afternoon with #Coyotes media day but this is what I've been told re: trades.

Was a deal in works the last few days and Maloney hoped to accomplish it by start of camp but it's not available anymore.

Deal could still happen but it very well may not. Very fluid time right now with teams assessing needs.

Obviously, and this isn't new, #Coyotes have defensive depth. That's their main bargaining chip.

It's also no secret this team has a need for offensive help, particularly up the middle.

But if a core piece is going to be sacrificed for that, like a Yandle, it would merit a sizable return.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
If for no other reason, Maloney would say "#2 center" out of respect for Hanzal. If we do get a guy that is a serious scoring threat, I hope we put together a line that can actually pressure the other team on a consistent basis.

Well at least this makes the 1 week training camp interesting.
I would hope that Hanzal isn't really considering himself a #1 center under most circumstances.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Great news. Can't wait to see what unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad