Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Likely a rival GM that realized at the last minute that he was about to become Maloney's latest victim.

I wonder if he has a rep now. "Oh ****, Maloney is proposing this..."

What does Columbus have that we like? :sarcasm:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
This is what we all know but other teams' fans don't get:

Sarah McLellan‏@azc_mclellan

Not sure why Yandle speculation is so high. He's part of core. Would take big deal to pull him out of that...just like w/ other core players

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is what we all know but other teams' fans don't get:

I'm convinced she reads these boards for ideas. First the Yandle article after we boot around ideas and rumors, then the Rundblad one after we all praise his progress.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm convinced she reads these boards for ideas. First the Yandle article after we boot around ideas and rumors, then the Rundblad one after we all praise his progress.

It's possible but you don't have to follow the Yotes very closely to know that Yandle is a big part of the organization. He's a defenceman for a coach that favors that side of the ice, signed to a long-term, fair deal, a good citizen and a leader in the locker room who looks like the future captain. He also happens to be pretty good on a team that doesn't have a legit star player. I have a hard time seeing him moved unless it's in a blockbuster. I've been wrong before and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong here but that's the way I see it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have a hard time seeing him moved unless it's in a blockbuster.

I would consider a Yandle trade a surefire sign that the ownership deal has soured. No other reason to move him.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
What do you mean? Maloney said it himself that that was the top priority. Confused on why you would think it wasnt accurate?

For one thing Maloney would never label #2 Center. Even though we may think a player is #2 center, Maloney wouldn't label anyone like that. What I'm also trying to say is that a playmaking RW (who can score) would be just as good as a center with those skills and maybe a better fit. I didn't question the 1st tweet, I just think GMDM said he is looking for a forward to bring in to help with scoring and thwe tweet was part speculating and part trying to get as much across without typing too much.
IMO, GMDM is looking to upgrade Johnson's position.
I probably should have said misleading because it implied that is all he was looking at, while we all know it's the individual and where he will fit and get ice time, and not the position. Also if if the Coyotes acquire someone, a contract will likely have to go the other way.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The way that the tweets come off make it sound like it was a one-for-one swap, although that is subject to however it is interpreted.

Deal with Toronto makes sense for all sides - could imagine either Rundblad, Stone, or Klesla going there for any one of Lombardi, MacArthur, possibly Lupul?

Klesla for Stafford (BUF) or Nielsen (NYI) or Horton(BOS)?

That's about the best that I can think of, given the rosters. I know the tweets said #2 C, but I think that #2 forward in general is our minimum ask and return in any deal involving any mix of players and/or picks...

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
This is one reason I have faith in Maloney.

He knows we need a center and he has been working patiently to get the right deal. He hasn't just blown picks or prospects for a quick fix. I really hope if ownership settles they keep him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wonder if there is any conceivable way in which we could acquire Ryan O'Reilly without sacrificing Yandle or OEL. Something based around Gormley plus a little or Rundblad plus a good amount, maybe? I don't know if we could get Colorado to go for it, but ROR would be a nice add.

He's only twelve months and eleven days older than Gormley and is actually four months younger than Rundblad.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coy...otes-gm-don-maloney-shopping-around-deal.html

Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney shopping around for deal

“I would have liked to have it done for the opening of camp, but it’s not there,” Maloney said. “It may never be there.”

It’s still entirely possible this particular deal resurrects itself, and that’s why Maloney won’t divulge the details on his shopping list, but it’s clear the Coyotes have an excess of defensemen and a need for scoring.

“We would like to improve up front,” Maloney said. “That’s no secret. To win a championship, you have to be strong through the middle of the ice, and if there was something that falls our way, sure.”

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maloney makes it sound like a big deal. Usually a deal that specific between two teams involves big names. If he just wanted to fish out an average forward, he could have done that twenty different ways by now.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If I remeber correctly from last season, the rumor going around was Yandle for Staal in Pittburgh but we ended up getting Z instead. It should be safe to say that whenever Yandle gets mention in a rumor of a trade that Yandle is just a screen for whatever else GMDM decides who to go after, no?

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
I would imagine it was with the Leafs. Which one? IMO, Bozak would be a younger, cheaper, and better fit than either Connolly or Lombardi. All 3 will be UFAs if they don't re-sign.
RO'R? I wish! Is term the only reason why he hasn't re-signed?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Briere? (Not for Yandle of course)

Maybe the recent news of Briere's injury halted trade talk.

As for Lombardi, it looks like the Leafs won't play him. Carlye's been working him on a 'line 6' forward line with a bunch of AHLers.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Briere? (Not for Yandle of course)

Maybe the recent news of Briere's injury halted trade talk.

As for Lombardi, it looks like the Leafs won't play him. Carlye's been working him on a 'line 6' forward line with a bunch of AHLers.
Idk. Seems like the other GM pulled out.

Badger Mayhew*

Leafs fan here. I don't think any Toronto fan expects much for Lombardi. Maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad