Rumor: GMDM looking for "No. 2 scoring center"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gomez will still be making his 5 million from Montreal this year. I doubt he's going to be looking for the highest bidder.

Actually, I believe he gets a $10 million check to settle the remainder of his contract. There's no discount on buyouts this time around.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
Low risk, high reward.
High risk, low reward.
Will be a great marketing tool towards the hispanic community.
People only care about the performance and not the nationality.

I swear, I have never seen so much hype for a hockey player the past few seasons that went downhill so fast. I know we are on a strict budget but I don't buy for one second that Gomez will do anything for us. We can do without and would rather get someone at the deadline instead.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Up the middle

Shoring up depth at the center position has become a personal project for General Manager Don Maloney.

For quick results, Maloney has usually turned to the trade or free agent market in recent years (Antoine Vermette and Boyd Gordon are current examples of that).

“That’s an area we have to improve and it’s really hard to find, especially in the age group we want,” Maloney said. “If we’re going to give up quality, we want to get quality at a younger age where we can get somebody here for eight or 10 years. Otherwise, we’ll stick with what we have.”

But tapping into the draft (like they did with Martin Hanzal) might become more of a priority in the future.

“I’ve really come to realize you might have to over-draft centermen because a lot of times when you do draft at 17 and as they mature, some of them end up being wingers,” Maloney said. “It’s very easy to go from center to the wing than wing to the center.”

Makes it sound like there was a deal for ROR on the table.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/sarahmclellan/2013/01/16/coyotes-simulate-game-day-with-scrimmage/

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
We want Gomez.
No we don't want Gomez.
Low risk, high reward.
High risk, low reward.
Will be a great marketing tool towards the hispanic community.
People only care about the performance and not the nationality.

I swear, I have never seen so much hype for a hockey player the past few seasons that went downhill so fast. I know we are on a strict budget but I don't buy for one second that Gomez will do anything for us. We can do without and would rather get someone at the deadline instead.
I agree. I don't want anyone of Gomez, Lombardi, or Connolly. I prefer to throw Chipchura in the open center position and roll with what we have until we find a deal during the season or at the deadline that is better.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
We're not going to get a #2 scoring center from them, since we just gave them theirs. They wouldn't offer Zibanejad, Silfverberg or Michalek and Greening, Smith, Condra, Latendresse and Regin are fine but not really an upgrade on what we have.

Upgrade? Ideally the Coyotes should carry 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. they currently have 13 NHL forwards on the roster.

Regin intrigues me in that he has shown the ability to step it up, looks like a Tippet kinda guy (at least he did when he was healthy), but has suffered injuries in the past. Relatively cheap and is on the last year of his contract (maybe for Schlemko). Already discussed a Zibanejad for Gormley trade scenario.

If we do sign Gomez (49 contracts), I hope it's ~ the minimum and let him play for a contract for next season.
XX
Makes it sound like there was a deal for ROR on the table.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/sa...ith-scrimmage/

according to Denver Post
O’Reilly turned down a five-year, $17 million offer from the Avs last summer, seeking something closer to $5 million per season.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

rt

May 13, 2004
Upgrade? Ideally the Coyotes should carry 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. they currently have 13 NHL forwards on the roster.

Regin intrigues me in that he has shown the ability to step it up, looks like a Tippet kinda guy (at least he did when he was healthy), but has suffered injuries in the past. Relatively cheap and is on the last year of his contract (maybe for Schlemko). Already discussed a Zibanejad for Gormley trade scenario.

If we do sign Gomez (49 contracts), I hope it's ~ the minimum and let him play for a contract for next season.

according to Denver Post
O’Reilly turned down a five-year, $17 million offer from the Avs last summer, seeking something closer to $5 million per season.

He want's "closer to five" (as in four point nine) and they offered three point four? Sounds like four point two is smack in the middle. That's twenty one million over five years. Doesn't sound all that out of whack, given a lot of these contracts that are flying around these days.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I agree. I don't want anyone of Gomez, Lombardi, or Connolly. I prefer to throw Chipchura in the open center position and roll with what we have until we find a deal during the season or at the deadline that is better.

I would be ok with that route too. As long as they understand that you have to TANK to ensure that you get one of those top 5 picks. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'm gonna just start assuming everyone means pro-rated around here now. Because I thought OEL went crazy there :laugh:

Haha, indeed, didn't bother to prorate all those numbers. I'll let you all do the math, too confusing for my poor little brain.

Anyway, I don't quite understand the Gomez hate at $ 2 to $ 3 M / per 82 game season. He doesn't have a bad locker room reputation, he's got playoff experience, and other than 2 declining years in a toxic environment, her's always been a 60 point guy. All we need from him is 40 to 50 points and everyone would be happy. He's only 33, and I bet he's got something to prove. We really could be a perfect fit for him to be that decent second line center he used to be, with adjusted expectations.

Plus, he's a UFA and the short season means we're only taking half the risk. This is a PERFECT low-risk, high-reward scenario. I mean, really, what's the worst that could happen? He sucks and gets benched, and we waste $ 1 to 1.5 M? Big deal.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Don't want ROR now. Especially if he is money hungry already. Been that route before, not doing it again.

Word on the Avs board is that the relationship between the org. and ROR soured considerably. Kind of like an arbitration type situation. I don't know the character of the guy, but it would be sketchy dealing so much for a 1 year holdout.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Don't want ROR now. Especially if he is money hungry already. Been that route before, not doing it again.
Not to mention I don't see DM being ok with handing a contract like that out to a kid with one good season under his belt. Speaking of which, I'm surprised so many are high ROR already, it's not like he's a sure thing.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I would be ok with that route too. As long as they understand that you have to TANK to ensure that you get one of those top 5 picks. Otherwise, it's a waste of time.

So you think the downgrade from whitney to sullivan and the loss of Daymond Langkow is the difference from where we finished last year to a lottery pick?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Word on the Avs board is that the relationship between the org. and ROR soured considerably. Kind of like an arbitration type situation. I don't know the character of the guy, but it would be sketchy dealing so much for a 1 year holdout.

I guess that makes it easier to swallow. If it is indeed O'Reilly that Maloney was talking about, then maybe the thing delaying the deal are negotiations with Colorado. Everyone is saying that the deal fell through, but Maloney stated that it "may have never been there", but it still may be there. I don't really know how I feel about this. I guess we'll see within the next week or so.

rt

May 13, 2004

There are a couple of differences between ROR and Turris. ROR actually did work his way up the depth chart the hard way and earn his minutes. When he got them, he maximized his opportunity and proved himself over an 82 game season. Turris was pouting because he wasn't interested in doing any of that. He wanted to be handed his top minutes so that it'd be easier for him to produce. He didn't want to produce in order to get those top minutes. Kid had it completely backwards.

Also, if Colorado is only offering ROR 3.4m annually, I don't blame him for sitting out. He's a lot younger than Turris, he's already making four million bucks this season in Russia, half the NHL season has already been cancelled, and he's finally getting a chance to play with his older brother over there. Hard to blame him for being willing to risk losing one 48 game NHL season at this point.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Speaking of which, I'm surprised so many are high ROR already, it's not like he's a sure thing.

I have to think that Maloney kicked the tires and found the price to be agreeable. Paying full sticker is not really his MO. When was the last time he traded for a guy and paid a premium? It's all about value with him, and if ROR continues to hold out and not sign with the Avs (ever) then his value will continue to drop. I'm really curious as to what was tabled, given the names involved.

rt

May 13, 2004
I guess that makes it easier to swallow. If it is indeed O'Reilly that Maloney was talking about, then maybe the thing delaying the deal are negotiations with Colorado. Everyone is saying that the deal fell through, but Maloney stated that it "may have never been there", but it still may be there. I don't really know how I feel about this. I guess we'll see within the next week or so.

Could be a trade agreement was reached and it was up to Maloney to strike a deal with ROR before the trade was finalized. Negotiations between GMDM and the ROR camp didn't go well, and the trade fell through as a result.

rt

May 13, 2004
Not to mention I don't see DM being ok with handing a contract like that out to a kid with one good season under his belt. Speaking of which, I'm surprised so many are high ROR already, it's not like he's a sure thing.

It's a combination of things that make him appealing. First, his age. Kid could easily not even be in the NHL at this point. Second, he's amazing defensively. Like approaching Hanzal status (keep in mind he's a lot younger). Peep this...

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1423

and...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

...also, his spike in offensive stats coincides with a change in coaching philosophy that has seen the Avs go from largely run and gun in Sacco's early years to a much more tight defensive system (by comparison) which is encouraging when trying to predict how well he'd do here.

I think it's the whole picture that makes him so appealing. At least to me.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
So you think the downgrade from whitney to sullivan and the loss of Daymond Langkow is the difference from where we finished last year to a lottery pick?

Some of the teams that missed the playoffs are much improved. So who misses the playoffs? Our top scorer is gone and we were already struggling to score. We're hoping that Sullivan, Boedker, Vermette & Johnson can make up the difference. But if you go from Langkow & Gordon to Gordon & Chipchura, I don't think we're going to make up that difference. And the season is short enough that if a key guy, say Hanzal, gets injured for any stretch, you can throw in the towel. I do not want the 12th pick overall.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But if you go from Langkow & Gordon to Gordon & Chipchura,

Langkow had 30 points and was the slowest player on the roster. Losing him arguably makes us better. Gomez can more than fill that spot, or even Lombardi. There is no way this team finishes in the lottery with the D it has. It's more likely they make the playoffs and hit a brick wall when they can't score.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Some of the teams that missed the playoffs are much improved. So who misses the playoffs? Our top scorer is gone and we were already struggling to score. We're hoping that Sullivan, Boedker, Vermette & Johnson can make up the difference. But if you go from Langkow & Gordon to Gordon & Chipchura, I don't think we're going to make up that difference. And the season is short enough that if a key guy, say Hanzal, gets injured for any stretch, you can throw in the towel. I do not want the 12th pick overall.

Sure losing Whitney hurts our forward core, but I think with Moss, Sullivan and maybe another forward we get via free agency or trade we'll make the playoffs like the last few seasons considering Tippett managed to coach this team to 107 points without Whitney. Additionally Vrbata is still a very skilled goal scorer without Whitney since he managed to put up 24 & 27 goals in the past without Whitney so it's not like he was completely dependant on the wizard to generate offense.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
It's a combination of things that make him appealing. First, his age. Kid could easily not even be in the NHL at this point. Second, he's amazing defensively. Like approaching Hanzal status (keep in mind he's a lot younger). Peep this...

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1423

and...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ASALL&sort=takeaways&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

...also, his spike in offensive stats coincides with a change in coaching philosophy that has seen the Avs go from largely run and gun in Sacco's early years to a much more tight defensive system (by comparison) which is encouraging when trying to predict how well he'd do here.

I think it's the whole picture that makes him so appealing. At least to me.

I agree and believe the $5 mil that the Denver Post quoted is not the # RO'R would except. He would fit in perfectly and is the type of player that Tip would love. His face off #'s are good! 2nd in minutes played! Teams would have a hard time against the Coyotes if they can keep Gordon as well as Yandle!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Probably out of this now that Lombardi is here. Still want to see Gomez signed as a winger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad