Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
No he won't

and yes it would obviously be insured
so you know a surgery that will have him at training camp in 6 weeks and on the ice by early October?

Spine fusion is 1 year and the "new age", replace the disc with a plastic one is 3-4 months. Now add 1-2 to train and get back into rhythm, we are talking January/February. Keep in mind, Payton Manning had it and missed a year. Granted, we are 10 years past that.

As for insurance, can you tell me that agent that would do it? You think the insurance industry works on high risk policies? If Eichel's chances of LTIR or a series of stop/starts, are anything higher than a tiny fraction, why would an insurance company be stupid enough to ensure him? So risk shelling out 50 million on a high risk client, only to receive a few hundred thousand in premiums???

Go and try to get health insurance after you have had a heart attack!!!! good luck.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Grinding the RFA’s. The Ottawa way.

Every fan in Ottawa thinking the same thing - “don’t screw this up, why can’t we just be normal like the other teams”

and they wonder why they can’t sell seasons tickets - is there anything to get the fan base more pumped then getting this done early and the players talking all summer about how they are ready to stack their claim in the NHL and the fans know ownership has committed to their FYOUS and isn’t going to break that promise too is spending to the Cap

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Grinding the RFA’s. The Ottawa way.

Every fan in Ottawa thinking the same thing - “don’t screw this up, why can’t we just be normal like the other teams”

and they wonder why they can’t sell seasons tickets - is there anything to get the fan base more pumped then getting this done early and the players talking all summer about how they are ready to stack their claim in the NHL and the fans know ownership has committed to their FYOUS and isn’t going to break that promise too is spending to the Cap

Really - you just want PD to give in to these guys and give them the top dollar they are asking for in July - is that really why you didn’t buy any tickets so far ? I don’t need all these RFAs Colin White’d with some silly contract and I’ll gladly let the landscape become clearer so PD gets decent deals for the org and I’ll still buy some tickets.

Let them skate in their summer sessions without any guaranteed significant future income and get closer to a fair contract for both sides.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Agreed.

its sad everyone complains about the team not spending but no one wants to go to a game.

Even if we hate melnyk, we have to support the team or it will end up leaving.

Although if you combine the murray and dadanov contracts that pays for Eichel.
bring Eichel in and I am buying his jersey and going to games. We become a threat to the league

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Will Eichel make that big of a difference? I know that one player can't sustainably put a team on their back and lead them to being a contender (like in other sports), and I think the success the team saw at the end of last year was due to great chemistry, work ethic, and good feelings about the team. How would Eichel fit into that?

Why are people so sure that he will be the key for this team? He led the Sabres to absolutely nothing beyond being an absolute horrible team stuck in the basement for years and more drama than even our disparaged Sens.

Beyond the cost of acquiring, the caphit, and the risk of a failed surgery, perhaps there is a risk that his impact on the team (even in the best of outcomes with those other factors) will not be as positive as many of us would like to believe.

And I worry that it would sink all the good things that have come from this rebuild so far, any ruin any chance of what the team could become if we were just a bit more patient with what we're developing internally.

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Really - you just want PD to give in to these guys and give them the top dollar they are asking for in July - is that really why you didn’t buy any tickets so far ? I don’t need all these RFAs Colin White’d with some silly contract and I’ll gladly let the landscape become clearer so PD gets decent deals for the org and I’ll still buy some tickets.

Let them skate in their summer sessions without any guaranteed significant future income and get closer to a fair contract for both sides.

My mistake, contract negotiations in Ottawa generally go smoothly, this summer just has me upset: would hate to see those news conferences where a former Captain or Two are walking out the door unhappy and bitter. You know; I shouldn’t of worried when Mark Stone signed a 1 year deal, my bad.

You’re right, showing the players who’s boss works in your favour and the fans favour too. Fans like it. Shows strength from management. That’s what fans want to see, strength from management and not star hockey players. We’d rather be talking about ownership cheapness then the on ice product. This owner carried the momentum these players created in this market beautifully this summer, his lawsuits showed strength from management, and that’s what fans want.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Chabot and White signed their deals shortly before training camp if I'm not mistaken. Whatever agreement Brady and Dorion reach, I would expect it to be announced in the same timeframe.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chabot and White signed their deals shortly before training camp if I'm not mistaken. Whatever agreement Brady and Dorion reach, I would expect it to be announced in the same timeframe.

We keep hearing Brady is close … August isn’t the time of year to try to sell anything other than school bags.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
My mistake, contract negotiations in Ottawa generally go smoothly, this summer just has me upset: would hate to see those news conferences where a former Captain or Two are walking out the door unhappy and bitter. You know; I shouldn’t of worried when Mark Stone signed a 1 year deal, my bad.

You’re right, showing the players who’s boss works in your favour and the fans favour too. Fans like it. Shows strength from management. That’s what fans want to see, strength from management and not star hockey players. We’d rather be talking about ownership cheapness then the on ice product. This owner carried the momentum these players created in this market beautifully this summer, his lawsuits showed strength from management, and that’s what fans want.

Simmer down … the sky isn’t falling. Support the team, but a ticket.

Stone’s $9.5 would be messy these next two years anyway. Hard to fit that and Brady/Bath/Jimmy/Sanderson/Norris and co inside $70 million.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

probably at the beginning of the Season Ticket Sales Promotion to sell more season tickets.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
probably at the beginning of the Season Ticket Sales Promotion to sell more season tickets.

Craziness … they barley have the schedule … they don’t even know what seats they can sell.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
From early MAY re. my seasons tickets while they were asking me to renew.
“…excited to hear that all rumblings I hear around the rink surrounding Brady include a long-term deal and C on his chest in the near future.”

So I told them great let’s talk once the long term deal is done. (3 months since that email)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Simmer down … the sky isn’t falling. Support the team, but a ticket.

Stone’s $9.5 would be messy these next two years anyway. Hard to fit that and Brady/Bath/Jimmy/Sanderson/Norris and co inside $70 million.

I get it, we’re saving that up to sign these guys. So sign them. Stone and EK aren’t here to sign this next generation of “Superstars” - but of course they aren’t signed.

there’s no reason for these kids not be signed if they are part of “the plan” to long term contracts. At some point things stop adding up and people start saying things like “good we didn’t sign Mark Stone”

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get it, we’re saving that up to sign these guys. So sign them. Stone and EK aren’t here to sign this next generation of “Superstars” - but of course they aren’t signed.

there’s no reason for these kids not be signed if they are part of “the plan” to long term contracts. At some point things stop adding up and people start saying things like “good we didn’t sign Mark Stone”

you do realize the season starts in October right ?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
From early MAY re. my seasons tickets while they were asking me to renew.
“…excited to hear that all rumblings I hear around the rink surrounding Brady include a long-term deal and C on his chest in the near future.”

So I told them great let’s talk once the long term deal is done. (3 months since that email)

Im shocked PD didn’t sign Brady already just to appease you after that very composed email.

Your season tickets represent about 0.0006% of his projected salary.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m a pretty big sens and raps fan. It’s pretty funny comparing the quality of communications in these executives/teams.

One of those franchises is well supported by its fans … the other isn’t . Everything else stems of the additional $75+ million available revenue stream.

Very few franchises in the league struggle with the type of revenue MLSE has available to it beyond a few years of cyclical down turn.

The leafs (or raps) could swallow $100 million in loses easier than the Sens could buy out Bobby Ryan and Colin White… and we bought out Ryan.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Im shocked PD didn’t sign Brady already just to appease you after that very composed email.

wtf are you talking about?
It was general information shared with the board about internal communications the Sens have been sharing with people who buy tickets.
(weird how they didn’t share that with you given how many tickets you must buy given your attacks on the fans and city, but I digress…)
Do me a favour put me on ignore, I don’t want to darken your doorstep anymore, and you clearly don’t like me correcting you, and calling you out.
It’s a win win for you, you can keep on correcting everyone else but it’ll save you the trouble of having to waste your time responding to mine. Enjoy your freedom.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
wtf are you talking about?
It was general information shared with the board about internal communications the Sens have been sharing with people who buy tickets.
(weird how they didn’t share that with you given how many tickets you must buy given your attacks on the fans and city, but I digress…)
Do me a favour put me on ignore, I don’t want to darken your doorstep anymore, and you clearly don’t like me correcting you, and calling you out.
It’s a win win for you, you can keep on correcting everyone else but it’ll save you the trouble of having to waste your time responding to mine. Enjoy your freedom.

That pretty funny coming from a guy that jumps all over my posts …

Just read better and you won’t always be confused.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

How is that what you take away from that post?

Overpromising and under-delivering to sell tickets is one of the biggest flaws of this team's ownership and management and you seem to find an excuse (if you can even call it that) every time.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

Overpromising and under-delivering to sell tickets is one of the biggest flaws of this team's ownership and management and you seem to find an excuse (if you can even call it that) every time.

That he didn’t understand it was a communication issue is hilarious, and deliciously ironic.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That he didn’t understand it was a communication issue is hilarious, and deliciously ironic.
Apparently its reasonable to expect fans to commit with no assurances of anything changing, while its completely out of line to expect Melnyk to follow through on his own unprompted spending promise without the fans first funding it, despite that part not being included in any of the communications.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Doesn't every business in existence over-promise & Under-deliver? Almost everything I have ever bought from a salesman was over-promised & under-delivered. Why would we expect less from this owner who needs more bums in the seats but to over-promise while the team most likely this coming season could stop just short once again of over-delivery?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Doesn't every business in existence over-promise & Under-deliver? Almost everything I have ever bought from a salesman was over-promised & under-delivered. Why would we expect less from this owner who needs more bums in the seats but to over-promise while the team most likely this coming season could stop just short once again of over-delivery?

How many markets do you think are sitting around in August makings excuses to not buy tickets over a couple of RFA’s ?

The excuse that two RFA’s (with a team wayyyy below the floor) is the reason why someone isn’t buying tickets is the reason Ottawa has league low attendance.

We keep blaming someone else and the seats stay empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad