Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You don't know how many were given the opportunity to chose Ottawa. Ottawa gets to choose who it wants to persue too.

The implication you're trying to draw, that Ottawa couldn't attract more UFA's, is not supported by simply stating we signed .03% of the dollars commited to UFA yesterday, that inference requires far more evidence to establish.

Expressing our UFA signings as a percentage of all dollars spent just comes off as manipulative spin, which at this point isn't surprising from you.

Again … not at all. Any way you look at it very few UFA’s sign here. I’m Sure if you ran the stats every year it would show similar stats over several Ottawa GM’s. Ottawa signs less than 1/32 of the league UFA, spends less than 1/32 of free agent cash etc etc. Now maybe that’s cause all Ottawa GM’s don’t believe in acquiring assets the way the other 31 teams do but it’s more likely a function of a lack of player interest and a lack of money to outbid the competitive interest in players .

We need a 1-2C and top 2 D as much as anyone. Why didn’t Dorion just buy one?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Again … not at all. Any way you look at it very few UFA’s sign here. I’m Sure if you ran the stats every year it would show similar stats over several Ottawa GM’s. Ottawa signs less than 1/32 of the league UFA, spends less than 1/32 of free agent cash etc etc. Now maybe that’s cause all Ottawa GM’s don’t believe in acquiring assets the way the other 31 teams do but it’s more likely a function of a lack of player interest and a lack of money to outbid the competitive interest in players .
Who turned down Ottawa's offers?

How much funds does Ottawa have available in its budget?

I get it, you have a narrative you feel the need to push. Nonsense manufactured stats just make you look foolish though

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who turned down Ottawa's offers?

How much funds does Ottawa have available in its budget?

I get it, you have a narrative you feel the need to push. Nonsense manufactured stats just make you look foolish though

What stats is manufactured ? Come on … your trying to hard to defend your own narrative.

Total UFA spending is all over every media outlet this am… it’s the lead story on most…. calculating the Sens/Dorion portion of that is hardly “manufactured”.

Check your own bias … although I commend how willing you are to fight for it. I think it’s funny … and cute that people still think little Ottawa is viewed the same as Ana or Bos or whatever.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Total UFA spending is all over every media outlets this am… calculating the Sens portion of that is hardly “manufactured”.
That's pretty much the definition of manufactured. Nobody else uses or reports %of total UFA spending by a team because it doesn't provide any real insight or value. You manufactured a stat to try and elicit a specific response despite that stat not actually having any connection to the inference being made

But keep fighting the good fight...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's pretty much the definition of manufactured. Nobody else uses or reports %of total UFA spending by a team because it doesn't provide any real insight or value. You manufactured a stat to try and elicit a specific response despite that stat not actually having any connection to the inference being made

But keep fighting the good fight...

Geez …. I know you can’t think outside your google box.

Imagine applying something as crazy as %of to analyze something…

I’ll stick to debating hockey issues that are easier for you to google.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Geez …. I know you can’t think outside the google box.

Funny guy Googles Ufa spending to make up useless stat then accuses others of googling things...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Geez …. I know you can’t think outside your google box.

What are you trying to debate here anyways?? Do you think they spent too much? Too little? Are you trying to somehow squeeze in another bad fan argument?

I think everyone knew that the Sens wouldn't be players in the FA market, soooo...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hitting the UFA market is for teams that failed at drafting and developing internal options. Drafting and developing is one of our strengths.

Reactions: pzeeman

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What are you trying to debate here anyways?? Do you think they spent too much? Too little? Are you trying to somehow squeeze in another bad fan argument?

I presented that Dorion spent %0.3 of all UFA money spent yesterday … I tried to leave that for people to draw their own conclusions.

Side note - Team 1200 just said Ottawa is a tough market to attract players … Rogers said the same about Green Bay… weird.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I presented that Dorion spent %0.003 of all UFA money spent yesterday … I tried to leave that for people to draw their own conclusions.

Side note - Team 1200 just said Ottawa is a tough market to attract players … Rogers said the same about Green Bay… weird.
Figured this is what your were angling towards. The Sens didn't spend money cause Eugene doesn't have money not because players didn't want to come here.

In this case, I am 100% fine that the Sens don't blow the bank on free agent day.

Reactions: branch

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Figured this is what your were angling towards. The Sens didn't spend money cause Eugene doesn't have money not because players didn't want to come here.

Please … Sens are going to spend $70 ish and very little of that will be spent on players that had discretion where they played.

Basically Zub and MDZ… an opportunist who is probably leaving and an aging $2 DMaN.

Dorion will have about $2/70 million of money allocated to players who chose to come here. Last year he had ~$4.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So help me out here then..what point is he trying to make?
I think he just means your comment about the Euge not having money.

More accurate would probably be we stick to an internal budget, the reason doesn't really matter, the end result is we won't overspend

ATM, we don't know how much room we have to spend, I imagine Tkachuck and Batherson deals will be important in determining the room we have, if we spend more now to lock both in long term, vs bridge deals at lower costs could mean the difference between a 3 mil addition and a 6 mil addition.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Cap Friendly reporting that 160+ players were signed yesterday. Dorion and our Front Office attracted 1 or 0.6% percent of all UFA’s.

CF also reporting upwards of $760 million was spent and we were in on $4/760 or 0.5%

Reactions: Cosmix

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
After the incredibly poor return on last years UFA's and Murray, and the team already meeting the cap floor after rfa's, Melnyk probably wasn't willing to increase the budget.

At this point any additional players brought in will ultimately have them above the cap floor and we still don't know if that has the green light. The last 3 years tells us there's little to no flexibility there, so we can't assume otherwise.

Hard to assess bringing in ufa's if we don't even know if the budget is available. Seems more like they're stashing pennies so they have a hope in hell of paying their own guys like Tkachuk.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
After the incredibly poor return on last years UFA's and Murray, and the team already meeting the cap floor after rfa's, Melnyk probably wasn't willing to increase the budget.

At this point any additional players brought in will ultimately have them above the cap floor and we still don't know if that has the green light. The last 3 years tells us there's little to no flexibility there, so we can't assume otherwise.

Hard to assess bringing in ufa's if we don't even know if the budget is available. Seems more like they're stashing pennies so they have a hope in hell of paying their own guys like Tkachuk.

Feels like the front office will be close to spending at least the floor worth of real money this year … more than the last few years ?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Remember when $60 mil used to be the cap & seemed like crazy money?

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Cap Friendly reporting that 160+ players were signed yesterday. Dorion and our Front Office attracted 1 or 0.6% percent of all UFA’s.

CF also reporting upwards of $760 million was spent and we were in on $4/760 or 0.5%
What is the point you are trying to make?
That Ottawa is cheap?
Players don't want to play here?
Our owner can't afford to piss in pay toilet?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Oh look! Yet Another thread being derailed towards the bad city/fan mantra.

I find it amusing amongst all of fakery being presented in this thread this is the one post you home in on.

FYOUS is FYOUS until proven otherwise. the guy spent money recently.

What did I say about bad city/fans? N O T H I N G

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Feels like the front office will be some spending at least the floor worth of real money this year … more than the last few years ?
More than 2 and 3 years ago I think, but its shaping up similar to last year where they spend right around the floor in real dollars.

Maybe they add more, but its looking more like they needed to send Daddy's contract out the door to do anything. I wonder if MDZ would have been brought in if that move weren't made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad