Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I think your oblivious to the things you whine about here… your posts are full complaining about these off season broken promises and begging the owner to shut up.

again, I can’t help that you don’t get it and miss the point entirely. Feel free to put me on ignore, I promise you won’t be missed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
again, I can’t help that you don’t get it and miss the point entirely. Feel free to put me on ignore, I promise you won’t be missed.

Ha … you don’t need to post that crap about August broken RFA promises and muzzling the owner … take your lumps or skip the “post” button.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Ha … you don’t need to post that crap about August broken RFA promises and muzzling the owner … take your lumps or skip the “post” button.

guy, you have no idea how ridiculous you are…and I suppose that’s why you are who you are on this board.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Convinced my friend to not renew his season tickets. Melnyk and Dorion need to show the fans they’re serious.
I believe you are a strong contender for the "anti fan" fan award. it's for the person with the most negative attitude of the team these supposedly support.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Then buy more tickets.

Ohh WondyTop. I think it’s cute you think the hive mind is a good place to be here. You have a good night sir -

I’ll take your good advice and buy some
More tickets - I enjoy it… no problem there. That will easily cover another 0.00001% of Brady’s salary next year.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I’m considering getting back to games this season. I told myself I probably wouldn’t buy any more tickets until Melnyk kicks rocks, but in all honesty I’ve got more money than I know what to do with right now. Not bragging btw.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That gap should close with all the tickets you plan to purchase.

Oh ya … I think I’m going to donate at least another 0.00005 % of what everyone thinks Brady is worth. I may need to sneak in a couple of tall boys in my coat or walk from Centrum to skip on the parking bit I can make it happen.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’m considering getting back to games this season. I told myself I probably wouldn’t buy any more tickets until Melnyk kicks rocks, but in all honesty I’ve got more money than I know what to do with right now. Not bragging btw.

Not much to spend on these last few years :)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
It’s really not a complicated issue. Owner builds good product, fans purchase tickets to enjoy good product.

Pro sports aren’t a Kickstarter where fans buy tickets for a poor or non existent product based on the promise of receiving a good product down the line. You have to sell something, excitement, development, success, hope… something enticing.

Acting as if signing the RFA’s is asking a lot, really give your heads a shake. It’s not even maintaining status quo given the departures in the offseason for Christ sake.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s really not a complicated issue. Owner builds good product, fans purchase tickets to enjoy good product.

Pro sports aren’t a Kickstarter where fans buy tickets for a poor or non existent product based on the promise of receiving a good product down the line. You have to sell something, excitement, development, success, hope… something enticing.

Acting as if signing the RFA’s is asking a lot, really give your heads a shake. It’s not even maintaining status quo given the departures in the offseason for Christ sake.

I don’t want to wade too deep into this debate, but we’re at the stage where we have the good product being built.

EM has to have the wallet open, and presumably fans have to attend games.

signing our RFA’s this year really isn’t an issue. If Brady doesn’t sign a long term deal it doesn’t mean anything nefarious. In reality it allows the team to gauge his long term value, while also allowing Brady to make some solid cash before signing a massive deal.

I’d prefer a long term deal now, as would the team, but I think a bridge makes more sense financially for Brady, so I’m not sure we should really read into it.

As for the last bit, at this stage in the rebuild signing our core RFA’s really is the only sensible big moves we can do. So if it doesn’t mean anything and we should shake our heads, then I guess all we can do is shake our heads this off season?

Is your point that fans shouldn’t come back until we have a non RFA and head shaking off season? I’m not sure how the last bit connects to your first part (which makes sense). Is making a big splash this off-season why fans should return?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Its not complicated at all.

The day they trade away a young, talented player in full bloom to save money - they lose all credibility. Its no secret and so simple to see for all involved. If they lose one of the big faces of the new Sens due to money, its game over for him in Ottawa with the fans.

And as much as we all see Melnyk as the antagonist and villain in our quest to the cup that is waiting to pull the rug out from under us when we let our guard down - I dont think hes that stupid to try and save a few dollars for what he stands to lose this time around. We all know the rules of the game as of today - and its simple as hell... Let a young star walk for obvious money reasons, and so do the fans...

So why worry about it imo. Its a game of chicken and all we have to do is see whos left standing (his wallet or our players).

Reactions: Bileur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

The day they trade away a young, talented player in full bloom to save money - they lose all credibility. Its no secret and so simple to see for all involved. If they lose one of the big faces of the new Sens due to money, its game over for him in Ottawa with the fans.

And as much as we all see Melnyk as the antagonist and villain in our quest to the cup that is waiting to pull the rug out from under us when we let our guard down - I dont think hes that stupid to try and save a few dollars for what he stands to lose this time around. We all know the rules of the game as of today - and its simple as hell... Let a young star walk for obvious money reasons, and so do the fans...

So why worry about it imo. Its a game of chicken and all we have to do is see whos left standing (his wallet or our players).

Teams all over the league lose players and super stars to money … and more significantly player discretion. Tor, Stl, NYI have lost zillions of contacts recently.

If the fans are in place buying tickets to begin with I don’t see losing much risks in losing our RFAs.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Ya i pretty much agree with this. This core of players needs to be locked up at least thru to their UFA years.

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Fans are consumers, not angel investors. It’s an idiotic and misguided business plan to expect fans to put their money down when the owner is not willing to do the same. If they want a full arena and profits from the gate, the team needs to invest in the product they are selling.

Ice a winning team and the fans will come, not the other way around.

In all sports teams have winning yrs & losing yrs & in all cases they need the fans to support the team with maybe only the NFL as the exception where TV revenues pay in advance for most of the operating expenses. Hockey is not yet that lucky, how can anyone expect that this owner will just keep losing money if fans don't show up to see the team. Do you want an NHL team in this city or not? Is the hatred for the owner greater than having a team in your city?

You can't just magically make your team a winning team either, it doesn't work like that in any sport, it takes time, effort & in this game good teams build through the draft which is slow & not always successful. And they need their fans to continue to support them for them to be relatively financially competitive with other teams in their league. It's time to stop blaming the owner, the team sucked, they traded away their good players, they are rebuilding & seem to be doing a decent job so far & there is hope for the future with these young players. EK & Stone weren't making a difference when they were here they were still losing with them in the lineup & it was time to move on & try something different. We see other teams do it all the time.

They have had a winning team before, in fact, if memory serves me correctly with EM as the owner they went almost a decade of being in the playoffs. They had a winning product during those good times, but now it's the lull between having good teams & it's time that the fans support the team if they want to keep the team here. They show lots of promise of being a good team in times ahead, but they also need financial support now to make it there & then have the funds to spend when the time is right. There are plenty of cities in Canada & more so in the US who would take a team tomorrow if one were available. This owner has spent millions of dollars on this team over the last almost 20 yrs since he has owned the team. What's idiotic is thinking this team will survive without fan support, it won't.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If EM had not gone and called out the fans during the outdoor classic, none of this would be happening at all.

It’s never been about the roster, or the full tear down and rebuild, as we have called for that several times over the years as a necessary measure when instead we did half measures.

It’s because people took the comments personally, we’re insulted, got SJW angry, and then used that indignance to support saving their money and not spending on the team.

Sure EM is a dick, earth to Sens fans, most pro sports team owners are dicks. The guy has been cutting costs everywhere, for what seem to be pretty obvious reasons, and has made it clear that he’s not selling the team.

This franchise has fared so much better than so many ‘better’ pro sports team’s and yet we still act as though we have the worst owner, and the shittiest situation out of everyone; it’s just not true. It does serve as a pretty clever excuse to stay at home and endlessly diss the team, owner, management, and Sens media though. That voice has gotten so much louder since the outdoor game statement.

I’m tired of the bitching and whining, the endless hand wringing over college signings and RFA signings, eventhough we sign them every year.

I’m tired of people making up shitty takes and treating them as real, even when the team comes out and explains things. We demand that they explain things, and then call them full of shit when they do.

We have one of the very best and most exciting up and coming teams, and yet we hate hard on the team management, coaching, some on the drafting, some on the players, and some on the basic fluid development plans from year to year.

Bitching is what We’ve become best at, bitching at everything Sens related, bitching at each other. EM has turned the hardcore fan base into a bunch of bitches, it’s embarrassing.

I’m with Aragorn and JD1, it’s time to put the big boy and girl pants on and get back to arguing about players and line combos, and stop pretending like the business side of things is all doom and gloom and that the owner is a big meany that hurt our feelings.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If EM had not gone and called out the fans during the outdoor classic, none of this would be happening at all.

It’s never been about the roster, or the full tear down and rebuild, as we have called for that several times over the years as a necessary measure when instead we did half measures.

It’s because people took the comments personally, we’re insulted, got SJW angry, and then used that indignance to support saving their money and not spending on the team.

Sure EM is a dick, earth to Sens fans, most pro sports team owners are dicks. The guy has been cutting costs everywhere, for what seem to be pretty obvious reasons, and has made it clear that he’s not selling the team.

This franchise has fared so much better than so many ‘better’ pro sports team’s and yet we still act as though we have the worst owner, and the shittiest situation out of everyone; it’s just not true. It does serve as a pretty clever excuse to stay at home and endlessly diss the team, owner, management, and Sens media though. That voice has gotten so much louder since the outdoor game statement.

I’m tired of the bitching and whining, the endless hand wringing over college signings and RFA signings, eventhough we sign them every year.

I’m tired of people making up shitty takes and treating them as real, even when the team comes out and explains things. We demand that they explain things, and then call them full of shit when they do.

We have one of the very best and most exciting up and coming teams, and yet we hate hard on the team management, coaching, some on the drafting, some on the players, and some on the basic fluid development plans from year to year.

Bitching is what We’ve become best at, bitching at everything Sens related, bitching at each other. EM has turned the hardcore fan base into a bunch of bitches, it’s embarrassing.

I’m with Aragorn and JD1, it’s time to put the big boy and girl pants on and get back to arguing about players and line combos, and stop pretending like the business side of things is all doom and gloom and that the owner is a big meany that hurt our feelings.

If my I wasn’t saving my aeroplan points for a family trip to Cook Islands, I would fly out to BC and give you a hug.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The biggest thing is how much they lied to us. They have no respect for their fans.

If they straight up said we needed to blow it up like other classy organizations do, it would have been better. but they chose to lie because of the slimy people they are.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Passionate fan bases support their team through the good and the bad.

Fans are consumers, not angel investors. It’s an idiotic and misguided business plan to expect fans to put their money down when the owner is not willing to do the same. If they want a full arena and profits from the gate, the team needs to invest in the product they are selling.

Ice a winning team and the fans will come, not the other way around.

This post is a good reflection of the typical Ottawa sports fan; great when the team is winning and disinterested when not. We lost the Roughriders once? twice? I can't remember. And we also lost the Renegades. So far the Red Blacks seem to be drawing fans ... hopefully that lasts.

In all sports teams have winning yrs & losing yrs & in all cases they need the fans to support the team with maybe only the NFL as the exception where TV revenues pay in advance for most of the operating expenses. Hockey is not yet that lucky, how can anyone expect that this owner will just keep losing money if fans don't show up to see the team. Do you want an NHL team in this city or not? Is the hatred for the owner greater than having a team in your city?

You can't just magically make your team a winning team either, it doesn't work like that in any sport, it takes time, effort & in this game good teams build through the draft which is slow & not always successful. And they need their fans to continue to support them for them to be relatively financially competitive with other teams in their league. It's time to stop blaming the owner, the team sucked, they traded away their good players, they are rebuilding & seem to be doing a decent job so far & there is hope for the future with these young players. EK & Stone weren't making a difference when they were here they were still losing with them in the lineup & it was time to move on & try something different. We see other teams do it all the time.

They have had a winning team before, in fact, if memory serves me correctly with EM as the owner they went almost a decade of being in the playoffs. They had a winning product during those good times, but now it's the lull between having good teams & it's time that the fans support the team if they want to keep the team here. They show lots of promise of being a good team in times ahead, but they also need financial support now to make it there & then have the funds to spend when the time is right. There are plenty of cities in Canada & more so in the US who would take a team tomorrow if one were available. This owner has spent millions of dollars on this team over the last almost 20 yrs since he has owned the team. What's idiotic is thinking this team will survive without fan support, it won't.

This is a great post. I said the same thing (maybe not as articulately) a few weeks ago and someone accused me of having my head in the sand.

It's time to stop blaming the owner, the team sucked, they traded away their good players, they are rebuilding & seem to be doing a decent job so far & there is hope for the future with these young players. EK & Stone weren't making a difference when they were here they were still losing with them in the lineup & it was time to move on & try something different. We see other teams do it all the time.

This is so bang on. Everyone was so mad about MS, MD, RD, EK being traded but:

A) They didn't want to re-sign
B) Even if they did want to re-sign, with the exception of MS, it was the right move to trade them.

As Aragorn said, that group wasn't working. We got the most we could and our future is much better off because of it.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad