Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Our record of our front office signing UFA’s is well known… one this year, one last year etc. No one thinks we have “never” signed one.
Oh, so now its possible that we can sign a free agent. You'll have to figure out what side of the fence your on I guess.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
never expected to be big in the UFA market, especially after Larsson and Oleksiak were taken by Seattle.

I would expect him to be able to make some trades to improve the roster, let's see what the double Pierre's come up with.

As of now we have two bottom pairing dman in a deep position, and created a hole on 3rd line RW. Tons of space to work with
Why did we add more bottom pairing guys? How many do we need when we already had: Brannstrom, Mete, Brown & JBD?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, so now its possible that we can sign a free agent. You'll have to figure out what side of the fence your on I guess.

Can you quote me where I’ve said we can’t sign a single FA ? Come on … Be smarter.

This franchise struggles attracting talent. That means we miss out on more than we bet a d have a net loss of FA’s leaving then coming in.

Or front office lacks the money to pay/overpay to get players to our market. It’s that simple.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Why did we add more bottom pairing guys? How many do we need when we already had: Brannstrom, Mete, Brown & JBD?
They can't afford any better, so their strategy seems to be to just bring in a bunch of bodies and hope someone emerges from the pack.

We saw similar subpar options forced in during the Karlsson and later Alfie years.

Reactions: SENStastic

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Well Holden was a contact back in the Dadonov deal

No clue about MDZ - unless we are trading Brannstrom and need someone to fill that spot before Sanderson get's here

Cant imagine Dorion thinks these guys are top 4 d-men

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
They can't afford any better, so their strategy seems to be to just bring in a bunch of bodies and hope someone emerges from the pack.

We saw similar subpar options forced in during the Karlsson and later Alfie years.

I don’t think they wanted to block JBD/LT/Sanderson with $$$ or term.

2022 will be a financial squeeze as it is.

Who knows, maybe Larson didn’t want to come here…

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Can you quote me where I’ve said we can’t sign a single FA ? Come on … Be smarter.

This franchise struggles attracting talent. That means we miss out on more than we bet a d have a net loss of FA’s leaving then coming in.

We lack the money to pay/overpay to get players to our market. It’s that simple.
Well, if you want to play word games, its negligible, its the .3% or whatever you said.

Its hopeless & Melnyk should just sell the team. The nice side benefit of this is we could also stop talking about this if this were to occur. :banghead:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It seems to go without saying they would have supported the defense better this year and the past couple had the budget been there to dobit.

What would a Larson type deal look like in two years ? Sorta blocks Sanderson/JBD/Zub/LT and makes too much money as a 5-6 DMAN?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well Holden was a contact back in the Dadonov deal

No clue about MDZ - unless we are trading Brannstrom and need someone to fill that spot before Sanderson get's here

Cant imagine Dorion thinks these guys are top 4 d-men
Ya, I get it with Holden and I don't mind that one, but MDZ??? Yeesh.

2nd bolded point - Would hope so and would guess that as well. So, if that were the case, I think we must consider that Melnyk imposed a budget or spending limit i.e., things happen for a reason.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What would a Larson type deal look like in two years ? Sorta blocks Sanderson/JBD/Zub/LT and makes too much money as a 5-6 DMAN?
You navigate around it like other franchises do. Move them later or as is common, the kids don't take the spots as soon as hoped. Injuries can happen.

Avoiding any sort of decent intermediary solutions for years and instead signing guys you know won't succeed in the roles they're put in is clearly a side effect of the budget.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You navigate around it like other franchises do. Move them later or as is common, the kids don't take the spots as soon as hoped. Injuries can happen.

Avoiding any sort of decent intermediary solutions for years and instead signing guys you know won't succeed in the roles they're put in is clearly a side effect of the budget.

I don’t disagree - not sure the player interest was there or if the front office was willing to get that close to their internal budget for 2022+.

STUDtzle

Jun 1, 2021
MDZ was likely signed because he's got a great work ethic and will coach up our young guys. Don't think he'll be a regular

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Now that PM is the in the office should we start calling PD “Pierre Dorion Junior”

?????

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
Eichel is the one chance to turn our franchise elite over night and we have the resources to do it. So sad we cant afford the cap hit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Eichel is the one chance to turn our franchise elite over night and we have the resources to do it. So sad we cant afford the cap hit

That’s part of the package that comes with league low attendance and cheap tickets. Tough to have an elite expensive lineup with cheap tickets and half empty buildings.

Us fans fuel the options our front office can make.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISensFanI

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
That’s part of the package that comes with league low attendance and cheap tickets. Tough to have an elite expensive lineup with cheap tickets and half empty buildings.

Us fans we fuel the options our front office can make.

Agreed.

its sad everyone complains about the team not spending but no one wants to go to a game.

Even if we hate melnyk, we have to support the team or it will end up leaving.

Although if you combine the murray and dadanov contracts that pays for Eichel.

Reactions: Crosside

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can’t see Eichel as a serious interest beyond the impact of his contract. The guy is pretty much exactly the opposite of what the team looks for in the people they bring on board.

Imagine trading some excellent assets for the pleasure of having a guy come in and destroy the locker room culture, then have to trade his ass out at pennies on the dollar.

Not gonna happen (in my useless opinion of course).

Reactions: Crosside

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I can’t see Eichel as a serious interest beyond the impact of his contract. The guy is pretty much exactly the opposite of what the team looks for in the people they bring on board.

Imagine trading some excellent assets for the pleasure of having a guy come in and destroy the locker room culture, then have to trade his ass out at pennies on the dollar.

Not gonna happen (in my useless opinion of course).
even if he transforms into Saint Eichel! at ~ 10 million AAV and a serious neck injury, boy are you taking a chance.

would you be able to get insurance for that contract?

He will miss 2021/2022, that is 10 million down the drain and if the surgery is not overly successful, 40 million will follow. Unless you are James Dolan and perfectly willing to roll the dice, I am having a hard time believing some other organization will take a chance.

what a crazy situation that guy is in!

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
even if he transforms into Saint Eichel! at ~ 10 million AAV and a serious neck injury, boy are you taking a chance.

would you be able to get insurance for that contract?

He will miss 2021/2022, that is 10 million down the drain and if the surgery is not overly successful, 40 million will follow. Unless you are James Dolan and perfectly willing to roll the dice, I am having a hard time believing some other organization will take a chance.

what a crazy situation that guy is in!

No he won't

and yes it would obviously be insured

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Agreed.

its sad everyone complains about the team not spending but no one wants to go to a game.

Even if we hate melnyk, we have to support the team or it will end up leaving.

Although if you combine the Murray and Dadanov contracts that pays for Eichel.
Have been following the news on Eichel.

Option 1) traditional spine fusion surgery. Consequences: reduced mobility. So, a possible outcome is a Jack Eichel making 10 million and playing like a 3 million dollar player..and he will miss 2021/2022 and good bye 10 million.

Option 2) New age surgery, they replace some spinal bones with plastic. Payton Manning had. It worked for him. He went on to appear in 2 super-bowls and had massive success in Denver for 4 years. The concept is a radical one and is not widely accepted by the medical community. Consequences: it fails and Eichel is part invalid. So you shell out 50 million to see him struggle for parts of 5 years.

Classic: Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

This is the one time, I will defend Eugene's tightness".

As for your support the team. There is 10 years of history on here. A solid 1-1.5 million posts on here, chronicling the events of the last 10 years. This is a marriage that went bad a while back. The question is; can we forgive? Clearly EM has zero intention of apologizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->