Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hitting the UFA market is for teams that failed at drafting and developing internal options. Drafting and developing is one of our strengths.

Hitting the UFA market is a means to acquire a player to upgrade your roster without having to give up assets in a trade for an upgrade player.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
More than 2 and 3 years ago I think, but its shaping up similar to last year where they spend right around the floor in real dollars.

Maybe they add more, but its looking more like they needed to send Daddy's contract out the door to do anything. I wonder if MDZ would have been brought in if that move weren't made.

Maybe - I assume they hope to bring in. $3-6 million Center and maybe a Brann type salary or two goes out putting us around $72-75 … that’s pretty close to the cap off low attendance and league low revenue. That’s legit spending for an owner who can’t lose $15 million.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Cap Friendly reporting that 160+ players were signed yesterday. Dorion and our Front Office attracted 1 or 0.6% percent of all UFA’s.

CF also reporting upwards of $760 million was spent and we were in on $4/760 or 0.5%
So if I'm reading this correctly Dorion and our staff tried to sign 160+ free agents but were only able to attract 1?

Ok?

Reactions: Micklebot

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
upload_2021-7-29_12-11-57.png

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hitting the UFA market is a means to acquire a player to upgrade your roster without having to give up assets in a trade for an upgrade player.

Cap space is an asset. If you're hitting the UFA market, you're trading cap space for a player at a bad rate.

If you have the player/prospect assets and draft capital (which we do), you're better off trading for a player with a better salary/cap hit instead.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Maybe - I assume they hope to bring in. $3-6 million Center and maybe a Brann type salary or two goes out putting us around $72-75 … that’s pretty close to the cap off low attendance and league low revenue. That’s legit spending.
72-75 with one addition? That can't be right. They're like 10 mil below the cap with Tkachuk, Bath and Mete likely to eat that plus maybe a mil or two. That and its the cap number, which is irrelevant for this team, so real salary cost would need to be the measuring stick.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
FYOUS is FYOUS until proven otherwise. the guy spent money recently.

What did I say about bad city/fans? N O T H I N G
I know you didn't, which is why I quoted your post and replied to it AFTER that comment I made. Its pretty evident following the discussion that I wasn't referring to you.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
72-75 with one addition? That can't be right. They're like 10 mil below the cap with Tkachuk, Bath and Mete likely to eat that plus maybe a mil or two. That and its the cap number, which is irrelevant for this team, so real salary cost would need to be the measuring stick.

Brady 8, Bath 5, Mette 1, Logan 1 is already $15….

I think Chabot makes $4 this year so I think spending is below cap…. Maybe it’s next year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brady 8, Bath 5, Brann 1, Logan 1 is already $15….

I think Chabot makes $4 this year so I think spending is below cap…. Maybe it’s next year.
I expect Brady and Bath to be bridged to get them at a lower aav.

Thats what I thought. We're still below the floor in real spending, so we're still bare minimum even if he could technically reduce it more if he really wanted to.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Sounds to me like Dorion sucks at recruiting.

Players choose their destination based on money, a chance to win and climate. Methot has talked about this a few times on the show. Ottawa is going to rank very low on all three categories. (I am not dumping on Ottawa. I love the city. Born and raised and will always call it home. But this is a fact).

But fans prefer to just blame Dorion. It feels good to make fun of someone and insult their intelligence.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Well we've got more players signed than two days ago and we're spending less total money, so at least Melnyk's happy.

Eugene has asked PD to pay players in post dated cheques and a lotto Max ticket, hard to recruit anyone when there's no willingness to spend. NJD had similar attendance and spending but have committed more money to Dougie Hamilton than Ottawa will spend on our full roster this year.

Eugene here on our board will find a way to blame us fans though, apparently we're the only ones who don't show up.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Players choose their destination based on money, a chance to win and climate. Methot has talked about this a few times on the show. Ottawa is going to rank very low on all three categories. (I am not dumping on Ottawa. I love the city. Born and raised and will always call it home. But this is a fact).

But fans prefer to just blame Dorion. It feels good to make fun of someone and insult their intelligence.

It was clearly tongue in cheek.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I love it too - the problem is people can’t separate their hate for Dorion or belief they are smarter than Dorion with the reality of an Ottawa lifestyle.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So help me out here then..what point is he trying to make?

Are you saying that Eugene wants to be a big player in free agency but he can't because players don't want to come here?
A bad carpenter always blames his tools ;) :cool:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So if I'm reading this correctly Dorion and our staff tried to sign 160+ free agents but were only able to attract 1?

Ok?
Yep. Ottawa has never signed a free agent either. :thumbu:

Its never happened and its hopeless.

Melnyk should just sell the team and avoid this frustration.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
never expected to be big in the UFA market, especially after Larsson and Oleksiak were taken by Seattle.

I would expect him to be able to make some trades to improve the roster, let's see what the double Pierre's come up with.

As of now we have two bottom pairing dman in a deep position, and created a hole on 3rd line RW. Tons of space to work with

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yep. Ottawa has never signed a free agent either. :thumbu:

Its never happened and its hopeless.

Melnyk should just sell the team and avoid this frustration.

Our record of our front office signing UFA’s is well known… one this year, one last year etc. No one thinks we have “never” signed one.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I love it too - the problem is people can’t separate their hate for Dorion or belief they are smarter than Dorion with the reality of an Ottawa lifestyle.
I think the average fan and poster in here in knows where the real problem is, and its not Dorion (or not just Dorion by any stretch of the imagination). You need to look a little higher up in the organization for that and at the guy doing the hiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad