Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Gord Wilson mentioned on 1200 this morning that he had a strong "feeling" DJ Smith would be re-signed this week.

JR seemed surprised and thought it was odd that the coach would be extended before the GM. Gord then "speculated" that maybe someone above the GM wants to see the coach re-signed.

It seemed like he knew something solid but wasn't about to make it official and blow up his source. Expect a DJ Smith contract incoming.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Gord Wilson mentioned on 1200 this morning that he had a strong "feeling" DJ Smith would be re-signed this week.

JR seemed surprised and thought it was odd that the coach would be extended before the GM. Gord then "speculated" that maybe someone above the GM wants to see the coach re-signed.

It seemed like he knew something solid but wasn't about to make it official and blow up his source. Expect a DJ Smith contract incoming.
$10m x 15 years

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

He deserves it

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Wonder if McGuire is already seen ahead of PD in the corporate ladder according to Melnyk.

I could see Melnyk and McGuire waiting to see how PD handles this off-season before committing to him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wonder if McGuire is already seen ahead of PD in the corporate ladder according to Melnyk.

I could see Melnyk and McGuire waiting to see how PD handles this off-season before committing to him.

I think EM asks PM for his evaluation.

Reactions: Yak

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Is anybody else obssesed with checking on PDs hairline every time they release a photo of him or just me?

So thick and beautiful in the back, the top is just not having it.

excited to see where this goes

Certainly not in the right direction at this point lmao

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

I can just hear him now...

'What? Michael Del Zotto? He played for the Markham Waxers where he was named MVP of the OHL showcase Cup and was coached by Dan Daoust. Guess who his team mate was there, Pierre? None other than 2 time Stanley Cup champion Steven Stamkos. Just a couple of monsters dominating the competition'.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

'What? Michael Del Zotto? He played for the Markham Waxers where he was named MVP of the OHL showcase Cup and was coached by Dan Daoust. Guess who his team mate was there, Pierre? None other than 2 time Stanley Cup champion Steven Stamkos. Just a couple of monsters dominating the competition'.

LMAO this got good laugh outta me at 2 am

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Dorion attracted $2/576 million of FA cash spent around the league yesterday …

0.003% of that UFA money is coming to Ottawa.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Dorion attracted $2/576 million of FA cash spent around the league yesterday …

0.003% of that UFA money is coming to Ottawa.

Fine with me after seeing what people paid for Danault, Grubauer, Hamilton, Hyman, Ullmark and others i hope they enjoy their bloated contracts.

I can easily see Hyman and Danault being buyout/ dump candidates within 3 years.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Fine with me after seeing what people paid for Danault, Grubauer, Hamilton, Hyman, Ullmark and others i hope they enjoy their bloated contracts.

I can easily see Hyman and Danault being buyout/ dump candidates within 3 years.

Yes, I agree … beyond some of the elite money that moved around Dorion escaped a lot of negative value.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

what an endorsement. Nothing helps a GM make a decision on how an NHL man will impact his team then knowing who he was hanging out with when he was 15 years old and who was also on the team. That being said still more valuable info then analytics

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What inferences are you making from that stat, do tell...

Dorion thread -

There would be several reasons why Dorion was only able to secure 0.003 % of all UFA.

Lack of player interest and a lack of team funds are probably 2 at the top of the list.

League wide GM’s felt that nearly $600 million of UfA spending could benefit their team. Pierre was able to secure %0.003 of that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion thread -

There would be several reasons why Dorion was only able to secure 0.003 % of all UFA.

Lack of player interest and a lack of team funds are probably 2 at the top of the list.

Right, so you lack the information on who we made offers to, you lack the information of how much we we were offering, you lack the information of how much funds Dorion is looking to spend, what positions to we target to fill by ufa, are they done signing UFA? Did we strike out on guys we wanted?

Maybe Dorion sees UFA as an inefficient use of funds and strategically avoided it because we have the assets to acquire better value contracts via trade, maybe he decided to hold pat because he prefers out internal options to the guys on the market,

You've decided to start from a conclusion and then scramble to find anything you can contort into support for that conclusion or make look more important than it is.

The stat doesn't convey any additional meaning by expressing it as a percentage of the total UFA dollars spent, it's meaningless drivel.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Right, so you lack the information on who we made offers to, you lack the information of how much we we were offering, you lack the information of how much funds Dorion is looking to spend, what positions to we target to fill by ufa, are they done signing UFA? Did we strike out on guys we wanted?

Maybe Dorion sees UFA as an inefficient use of funds and strategically avoided it because we have the assets to acquire better value contracts via trade, maybe he decided to hold pat because he prefers out internal options to the guys on the market,

You've decided to start from a conclusion and then scramble to find anything you can contort into support for that conclusion or make look more important than it is.

The stat doesn't convey any additional meaning by expressing it as a percentage of the total UFA dollars spent, it's meaningless drivel.

I thinks it’s funny that you think unknowns somehow discredit knowns… upwards of $700 million now of players chose to play in cities yesterday and $2 million of that chose Ottawa/Dorian. Hard to argue that Ottawa doesn’t have as much need to acquire players/talent as anyone.

that’s 100+ players that chose to go somewhere and Ottawa attracted ONE of them.

I’m sorry you can’t see the relevance … I goggled it and I couldn’t find it either so I get why it may not be clear.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thinks it’s funny that you think unknowns somehow discredit knowns… upwards of $700 million now of players chose to play in cities yesterday and $2 million of that chose Ottawa/Dorian. Hard to argue that Ottawa doesn’t have as much need to acquire players/talent as anyone.

that’s 100’s players that chose to go somewhere and Ottawa attracted ONE of them.

I’m sorry you can’t see the relevance … I goggled it and I couldn’t find it either so I get why it may not be clear.

You don't know how many were given the opportunity to chose Ottawa. Ottawa gets to choose who it wants to persue too.

The implication you're trying to draw, that Ottawa couldn't attract more UFA's, is not supported by simply stating we signed .03% of the dollars commited to UFA yesterday, that inference requires far more evidence to establish.

Expressing our UFA signings as a percentage of all dollars spent just comes off as manipulative spin, which at this point isn't surprising from you.

Reactions: Big Muddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad