OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Playing said sport for X amount of years isn’t training?

Where is there a requirement for coaches at any level to have played the sport for X amount of years? My dad coached my brother's soccer team for one year and had never played a minute of soccer in his life but they needed someone to coach and no one else volunteered. (They won their league that year too.) Jon Cooper played low level high school hockey and played lacrosse in college and now he's the coach of an NHL team.

Also coaching and playing are two very different things, especially when kids are involved. Those who played for years probably think the sport and coach in terms of strategizing to win when for youth sports, and really through high school, a lot of it is about teaching safety and proper technique. I played college lacrosse and coached teams ranging from ages 7-12 before I started a family of my own and "playing said sport for X amount of years" didn't do me any good if the kids couldn't catch and throw or if they didn't know how to legally conduct a stick check. No one from the league told me what to focus on or trained me in how to teach safety to the kids... they said here's your roster and the practice schedule, let us know if you have any questions or issues with parents.

As someone who required multiple surgeries from playing sports and never once had a thought of blaming the coach for it I find the premise of the situation ridiculous; all I am saying is that it's not untrue to claim that many coaches at all levels are untrained and probably under qualified for the roles they assume.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don’t know man, I think you are way over complicating this. Depending on the level and the sport it isn’t rocket science to figure out how to coach it, especially if you played it. Sure the higher you go the more a coach needs to know but if said coach started out at a decently lower level they very likely would have gained that over time.

I’m not saying I’m opposed to requiring coaching qualifications for certain levels of sports but to make it a universal requirement, especially for house league type organizations, makes no sense to me and would simply result in way fewer coaches, which as you already pointed out with your brother’s soccer team example, is already a decent problem.

And I don’t understand your lacrosse example. You played the sport at a high level but if a 7 year old came in and didn’t know how to catch you didn’t know how to teach them how to catch?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don’t know man, I think you are way over complicating this. Depending on the level and the sport it isn’t rocket science to figure out how to coach it, especially if you played it. Sure the higher you go the more a coach needs to know but if said coach started out at a decently lower level they very likely would have gained that over time.

I’m not saying I’m opposed to requiring coaching qualifications for certain levels of sports but to make it a universal requirement, especially for house league type organizations, makes no sense to me and would simply result in way fewer coaches, which as you already pointed out with your brother’s soccer team example, is already a decent problem.

And I don’t understand your lacrosse example. You played the sport at a high level but if a 7 year old came in and didn’t know how to catch you didn’t know how to teach them how to catch?

I'm saying people who play at a high level aren't thinking about the basics. They're thinking about strategy and how to win. You go through more safety training and certifications teaching people how to flip burgers than we do ensuring coaches are properly equipped to ensure the welfare of kids.

Also I'm not advocating for universal requirements or anything and I'm not trying to complicate anything; I was just making an observation that anyone can coach a sports team with no certifications, no training, and no prior experience. I had a hockey coach once when I was younger (and at an age where checking was legal) that never played and got into the sport keeping stats for his college team.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
That coach could have had all the training in the world...still couldn't prevent a freak ankle injury by sliding into third. We're talking scamatics here. Freak injury...doesn't constitute a lawsuit....training or no training of the coach.

I mean...what are we doing here man? Just killing off everything we can with rules and requirements to meet the needs of people that can't handle that s*** happens sometimes?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alright, last post from me about the coaching thing because it's a dumb topic. I think it's ridiculous his family sued the coach. I think shit happens in sports and if you play you risk injury; you alone are responsible for that decision. I don't think any amount of rules or regulations takes away the inherent danger of playing sports and that's something you and your family have to accept if you choose to participate. Finally, I hope the kid, his family, and the coach find closure and move on with their lives.

Tangentially, I do find it somewhat odd that pretty much anyone can coach a sport with no prior background, training, or experience in the sport from youth league all the way through high school; obviously the barriers to entry for coaching college and above are higher. I don't think this makes them accountable for bad stuff that happens, it's just an observation I have.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was an analyst dealing with top secret stuff while in the military, the background check/s paled to what I had to do to get my USA Hockey coaching certification. :laugh:

Reactions: Devil Dancer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad