OT: General OT MEGATHREAD (No Politics) - Read OP before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So I flew cross-country to work this week and had the opportunity to catch up on some movies.
  • Ready Player One: thought it was amazing. I'm not really a Sci-Fi guy but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Will watch again.
  • Isle of Dogs: wanted to love it but didn't. I loved Grand Budapest Hotel and the cast was terrific but it was pretty meh.
  • The Greatest Showman: really enjoyed it. The music was really fun and the story was interesting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So I flew cross-country to work this week and had the opportunity to catch up on some movies.
  • Ready Player One: thought it was amazing. I'm not really a Sci-Fi guy but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Will watch again.
  • Isle of Dogs: wanted to love it but didn't. I loved Grand Budapest Hotel and the cast was terrific but it was pretty meh.
  • The Greatest Showman: really enjoyed it. The music was really fun and the story was interesting.

RPO has a TON of replay value. So much passes in the background of so many scenes.

Greatest Showman was one of those, “I know it will be good, but I just can’t get motivated to watch it” movies for me. When I finally watched it with my daughter, I loved it.

IOD I haven’t seen, was expecting quirky and moderately entertaining.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
RPO has a TON of replay value. So much passes in the background of so many scenes.

Greatest Showman was one of those, “I know it will be good, but I just can’t get motivated to watch it” movies for me. When I finally watched it with my daughter, I loved it.

IOD I haven’t seen, was expecting quirky and moderately entertaining.

IOD is exactly that: quirky and moderately entertaining. My issue with it is that it was only moderately entertaining... I really enjoy that genre and thought I'd love it. The movie is probably better than I gave it credit for; I just had really high expectations.

I was blown away with how much I enjoyed RPO. Can't remember a time I had that much fun watching a movie that was that far outside of my comfort zone.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also finished watching The Office last night for the first time. The finale was really well done. Since I watched it on Netflix I didn't have a full appreciation for the 9 year journey of the show (that's one of the few drawbacks to not watching shows like, I think) but the finale really drove that part home. I found myself in Season 9 just wanting the show to end but the finale made me want to go watch the earlier episodes again. Other thought on the finale: I thought Michael Scott would be more involved and prominent. His inclusion felt a little forced which was the only disappointing part of the episode.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also finished watching The Office last night for the first time. The finale was really well done. Since I watched it on Netflix I didn't have a full appreciation for the 9 year journey of the show (that's one of the few drawbacks to not watching shows like, I think) but the finale really drove that part home. I found myself in Season 9 just wanting the show to end but the finale made me want to go watch the earlier episodes again. Other thought on the finale: I thought Michael Scott would be more involved and prominent. His inclusion felt a little forced which was the only disappointing part of the episode.

Eh, I thought they brought him back in an appropriate context and didn't overdo it.

Like you I watched it later via binge and I'm sure some things were lost, but having the benefit of consecutive season comparison, things went to shit after he left. Andy was an extremely annoying character that they couldn't make me like, or even hate in a way that was satisfying, and the Robert California schtick from Spader was unconvincing method acting garbage (note how many times he's nodding or shaking his head, and/or licking his lips). Also not a fan of the over the top yuk-yuk of MS's love interest, Holly or whatever.

Michael Scott era- season 1 is painful but the rest is charming gold

post-MS era- running out the string, focus on Dwight, Kevin, and Creed mainly if you want to enjoy it

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
IOD is exactly that: quirky and moderately entertaining. My issue with it is that it was only moderately entertaining... I really enjoy that genre and thought I'd love it. The movie is probably better than I gave it credit for; I just had really high expectations.

I was blown away with how much I enjoyed RPO. Can't remember a time I had that much fun watching a movie that was that far outside of my comfort zone.

That cast ensemble was almost too much to actually deliver on....so many big names...

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I've got a dynasty league team looking for a good home. It's the same one I posted about here last fall. It's bounced around owners lately but does feature the aforementioned youth in that post as well as the top pick in the upcoming prospects draft (to be held on via Slack in a little over three weeks. Taking over that team is a challenge but dedication would go a long way turning it around.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I've got a dynasty league team looking for a good home. It's the same one I posted about here last fall. It's bounced around owners lately but does feature the aforementioned youth in that post as well as the top pick in the upcoming prospects draft (to be held on via Slack in a little over three weeks. Taking over that team is a challenge but dedication would go a long way turning it around.

Hockey? Not sure I am up to that challenge.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

Is that the same league I play in? If so I can vouch for it. Active owners, competitive league with deep rosters.

I really need to start my draft research.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is that the same league I play in? If so I can vouch for it. Active owners, competitive league with deep rosters.

I really need to start my draft research.
Yep. Same league. This will be the 13th season. The bulk of the league is very stable, hence the challenge in closing the gap on teams. But the prospects draft helps and it definitely can be done. Even in a deeper league like this there are routinely FA options out there that pay off handsomely for active owners.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eh, I thought they brought him back in an appropriate context and didn't overdo it.

Like you I watched it later via binge and I'm sure some things were lost, but having the benefit of consecutive season comparison, things went to **** after he left. Andy was an extremely annoying character that they couldn't make me like, or even hate in a way that was satisfying, and the Robert California schtick from Spader was unconvincing method acting garbage (note how many times he's nodding or shaking his head, and/or licking his lips). Also not a fan of the over the top yuk-yuk of MS's love interest, Holly or whatever.

Michael Scott era- season 1 is painful but the rest is charming gold

post-MS era- running out the string, focus on Dwight, Kevin, and Creed mainly if you want to enjoy it

I thought they should've ended the show at the end of season 7 when Michael leaves to Colorado. The show was never the same after that. Robert California is annoying as hell. The only thing that made me watch season 8 & 9 is Dwight.

Also wish it had more Ryan Howard doing sketchy stuff.

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad